Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/266/230 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 64%

Ever since I started Atkins, i`ve received nothing but positive remarks. The evident weight loss surely helps. When people are truly curious, I tell them about it. I know of at least 3 people I`ve converted to Atkins in the past 8 weeks, and they are raving about it. Go figure!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:30

Stats: 260/259/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I have to agree with what everyone has said. Usually when I tell people that I am on Atkins the next words out of their mouth are, "It's not good to eat all that bacon". To which I normally reply, that's OK because I don't eat much bacon. Certainly no more than what I ate previous to doing this. But now I eat a lot of vegetables, tuna, chicken and some beef. I feel better than I have in forever and I have lost almost 50lbs. By this time they are usually looking for someplace to hide.

For people who are actually interested I will tell them what I know and try to calm their fears, for those people who only believe what they have heard, I don't have the time or the patience for them. The worst part about it is that most of the people who have attitude about Atkins, need to be doing it!! I wish they would listen to me, or do some research for themselves, but you can't force people to do anything, they have to want to do it.

The reality is that I actually feel sorry for the people who just refuse to even look into it, because they might find that it would change there lives so much, that they would be talking like the rest of us.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:54
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

My favorite comeback to people who say that Atkins is unhealthy for me is "Ok, well, then I'll at least die thin" LOL. I get SO tired of people who haven't researched Atkins who make those comments you are getting...it really ticks me off. If they are willing to listen, I will tell them what Atkins is REALLY about.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:09

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

My latest rude comment came from a co-worker who didn't know I was on Atkins. She made a remark about how she doesn't understand how all those poor misguided people can follow Atkins - it's like SOOOO unhealthy. I pointed to my lunch (huge mixed vegetable salad with cheese and chopped egg on top) and asked her what she thought of my lunch which is pretty much what I eat for lunch every day. She made a remark about how I apparently know about eating healthy. I told her I was on Atkins and have been since August and just laughed while her mouth dropped open. I loved it!!!!!

shortstuff
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:22

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies regarding if we do/do not need whole grains. I am calling my friend tonight after work.

The whole topic of Atkin's is pretty fascinating. I work for a company that makes cardiovascular medical devices, and we have some pretty good discussions around here. Most of the people in my group are high-maintenance low-fat work-out-all-the-time people, but they do commend me for losing so much weight this year. A lot of people are just curious about how Atkin's works. I don't get anymore negative comments, so that's nice.

People are just misinformed, and I feel sorry for them.

~Kelly Deneen
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:58

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Great thread...lots of enlightening information has been posted here, especially about our "need" for grain.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:24

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

And another thing...

If people still aren't convinced after I tell them how many more vegetables I eat now than I ever have, I submit my bloodwork into evidence:

BEFORE ATKINS
140/90 blood pressure
200 cholesterol
246 triglycerides

AFTER ONLY 4 MONTHS ON ATKINS
110/78 blood pressure
158 cholesterol
87 triglycerides

So much for the "Atkins raises your cholesterol" theory.

-G.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: SugarBusters
Stats: 236/184/135 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 51%

I can honestly say around here I've never heard anyone make a snide remark about Atkins. Granted, I live in a small town and it seems as if EVERYONE is on a LC lifestyle change. The only question anyone asked me was , Isn't all that fat bad for you?" But she was truly interested, she's been on a low-fat diet for years because it was drilled into her head it's better for her. And my mil--she's had some major health issues and is afraid of putting anything with fat into her mouth, but her only statement when I told her I'm doing lc was, "That's good for your sugar, right?"

I think most people are simply uninformed--they know about the restriction of induction, but not about the rest, and it bothers them because it's not "right".

Anyways--my only comment would be, "If you still want sugar and spice and everything nice, Bite me. I'm still in induction so there's plenty left."
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 13:33

Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%
Thumbs up Finally

I'm so glad someone addressed this. I never knew so many people were going to have so many negative things to say to me when I told them I was on Atkins. I have been so taken aback that have been unable to respond that well except for the fact "I've only been on Atkins 10 days and have lost over 6 lbs."

I find that my friends and family who have "tried" it and can't stick with it have not read the book. They just find out what they can and can not eat and try it and give up. I find that knowing all the facts helped me get through the first few days and now I don't have any cravings. Matter of fact I've turned down cake and ice cream (my favorite) 2 times already with ease. To me that alone makes this worth it because I was seriously a slave to those types of foods for YEARS. Obsessed with food period, I feel miraculously cured of food addiction which I thought I was destined to have to deal with the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong I still eat a lot of food but I don't have to and I don't think about food every minute of every day for the first time in my life.

To me even if it were a possibility it was bad for me, just feeling out of food prison would be worth me doing Atkins.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:18
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If I feel up for a good debate, I tell them it's NOT a high-protein diet, it's a high-fat diet. Then I watch them practically faint in their chairs at the thought of a high-fat diet. My usual response is "Trading doughnuts, potato chips and sugar for vegetables and nutritious protein is unhealthy? Since when?"

If I don't feel like getting on my soapbox, I just say I'm cutting out refined and processed foods. Not too many people will argue that refined sugar and processed white flour is extremely healthy.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:49

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
If I feel up for a good debate, I tell them it's NOT a high-protein diet, it's a high-fat diet. Then I watch them practically faint in their chairs at the thought of a high-fat diet.

#42   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 01:02
Registered Member

Stats: 337/337/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

To answer the original posters question... I look them straight in the eye and say "ok... how about this..." "I will eat you." If you are still fairly fat you and they should have a laugh otherwise tell them to take their cake and pie and shove it!