Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/211/140 Female 5ft.1 in.
BF:
Progress:
Default no weight lost

I was on atkins for 6 weeks and I went through induction like i was supposed to. I only lost about 3 pounds in all and then I would gain it back and off again. I really lost confidence in this. So I went off of it for 2 weeks now and im thinking about going back on again. Last night I was reading a Redbook magazine and there was an article in there about hypothyroidism. It sounds like something I might have if that makes any difference. I also have high blood pressure and I take avopril. I was wondering if that had anything to do with it. My dh went on it at the same time and he doesnt stick to it like I did and he lost 30 pounds. I understand men lose faster but I expected to lose something at least. I'm happy for him because he weighed over 350 pounds. Almost every weekend he goes off of it. Can someone please help me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:11

Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Hi Jobe,
By all means if you even suspect that you may have a thyroid problem, please see your DR. You should discuss with him/her anyways seeing you are already on meds for high blood pressure.

Best of luck to you
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:15

BF:
Progress:

I also forgot to mention that I drank at least a gallon of water a day because I like water, and ate my 3 cups of veggies
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What do your typical menus look like? It's hard to give advise without really knowing what you are or aren't eating.

If you are on meds, definetly talk to your doctor. For some people Lc can lower blood pressure. If you are on meds, this can push it too low and cause alot of problems. Some people need weaned down to a smaller dosage. Even if you don't have your blood pressure lowered through diet, it's always better safe then sorry.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:46

BF:
Progress:

I usually ate bacon or sausage and eggs for breakfast or an omelet. meat and salad for lunch and the same for sometimes sf jello,and a couple carbolife gummi bears, and pork rinds for snacks. I usually only ate lettuce for salad. for meat I had mostly pork chop or hambuger patty and once I had fried chicken with pork rind coating. The bacon and sausage probably had some sugar and nitrates in it. I am a breakfast cook and I cook through lunch to. I also make the soups gravies and a noon special, it is really hard nto to taste my cooking to see if it tastes right. Most of the time I had one of the waitresses taste it though. For dressing on my salad I had oil and vinegar. I also baked fish one nightwith butter and lemon pepper and it was really good.but no potatoes pasta or sugars otherwise
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:48

BF:
Progress:

I had used fit day a couple of times and i was right where I was supposed to be
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:49

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
For some people Lc can lower blood pressure.
For me it sure did. I went from 120/70 (normal per the new guidelines ... used to be considered low) to 95/60.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I would definetly cut out the Lc candy. Those cause many people to stall in a big way, especially during induction.

Bacon and sausage can be ok, if they are sugar free. Processed meats are limited, so just make sure to only eat a small amount of them, not make them a main food source.

If you were tasing your cooking, that can still cause an insulin reaction. When you do induction you really have to be strict for the first 2 weeks to get your body in the fat burning mode. Nothing that isn't on the acceptable food list is allowed. That includes any Low Carb substatutes such as bars, candy, or breads.

You might tlak ot your doctor to see if weight is a side effect of the meds. If the meds aren't to blame, make sure to stick to the plan strictly. If you still have no weight loss, check into thyriod, candidia and other possible problems.

I know it sounds likea pain, but once you find the problem you can correct it and it gets easier form there. Also if it is a medical problem like thyriod, solving it will not only help with weight loss, but things like energy, clerity of thought and so on.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Atkins says in DANDRE that thyroid problems AND blood pressure medicines can keep one from loosing weight....so if you have both that could definately be a problem.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:16

BF:
Progress:

thank you I just wanted to add I never had the candy when i was on induction and after induction on one or two pieces once in a while.