Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/205.5/175 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Help someone convince me to stay with this diet!

I've been on atkins for a little over a month now and I've noticed a dramatic difference in my moods. The first two weeks I felt more confident about myself and I was in a much better mood than usual. These last three weeks have been nothing but miserable. I've been depressed and very very moody. My fiance and family can hardly stand to be around me. I also haven't had any sex drive. I posted something earlier about this but most people just cracked jokes so hopefully I can get some serious heartfelt answers. I am seriously thinking about going back to eating carbs just to get myself out of this rut. I am getting married in September so this is supposed to be a happy time in my life. Instead I am just miserable! I eat about 15-20 carbs a day and eat salad with every meal. I don't know what else to do. I've been at the same weight for the past two weeks also. I initially lost 9 lbs and now I haven't budged at all. I want to lose weight on this diet but I also want to be happy...anyone else go through this and have some suggestions on how to get out of this rut? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:41

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

I've been on this since Jan 5, and I'm doing great, but I have to admit the plateau's are really difficult. The problem is your sooo motivated and eager that when the scale doesn't move it's dis-heartening. But-it's the courage to get thru this that makes you feel so proud and confident.
My advise on the mood swings is this and you can take it for what you want. Moods many times are a choice, you can wake up and be grumpy and pissed or wake up and feel blessed that your alive.
In really bad moments I choose to take a breath and really exhaile and not sweat the small stuff. If something isn't LIFE ChANGING, then let it pass, take a shower, a bath, read a book, do anything to remove yourselve from things that cause to have the need to WANT to blow. And remember everyday is a new day you have to find peace in the small things to truely accept the bigger picture and life.
I'm thinking of you
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:52

Plan: just do it
Stats: 140/131/115 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I, too have noticed a change in moods, energy levels, and sex drive!!! Before this WOE, I would stay up with my SO til 11 or 12 each night just talking, watching TV, cleaning, or ........ I'm sure you get the point. but, here lately, after putting the kids to bed at 8:30, I'm out on the sofa by 9. and then it's really hard for me to drag myself out tof bed at 7. so, i feel your misery. Maybe i'm partially to blame because i do not push myself to exercise more--think that would help? I know that my SO (who, by the way, I will be marrying next April) is sure suffering. He's had to take on a lot of extra household duties because of my lack of energy, and he's having to do without in the BR. He's been extremely supportive though--which makes me feel even worse!!
sure hope it gets better, got to thinking earlier though, it is allergy season--maybe that has something to do with it--anyhow--hope it works out for you!!1

LeShai
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:54

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Start a journal and post your meals so others can see what you are eating and maybe find some problem spots (but be sure to write it ALL down ). Maybe you need to increase your carb intake some...are you near your TOM? There are a lot of reasons you may be having trouble...including some that have absolutely nothing to do with the way you are eating. Are you under a lot of stress right now (ordering gowns, etc)? Stress can stop you from losing weight and make you gain. What kinds of meds are you on? Which Atkins book are you following?

I realize I haven't answered your original question and have asked plenty of my own, but we need more information before we can help. Don't give up...someone here will have something that you can try and just might be the key you are looking for.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:59

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi Brownbear...
Last year when I was planning my wedding I also began experimenting with this way of life. Like you, I followed the book to a science (gave up coffee, measured everything...you get the picture). I also had a couple of weeks of feeling very confident and excited....I felt like I had just made a huge discovery. Anyways, about a month in I went through the same thing you described. I was tired, moody, and to be honest generally difficult. I'm a high school teacher and my students were like, "What's going on? Did your boyfriend dump you? Is your wedding off?"...lol--

Anyways, I didn't want to stop low carbing. One thing was for sure....I really enjoyed eating and being allowed to eat and still being able to lose weight (yes there are bumps and stalls, but a real stall can last for months). I added better vitamins to my diet like centrum, calcium, even fiber. I also began drinking coffee again, only in the morning. And as annoying as this might sound I began to exercise again (I had stopped because it was too hard to wake up in the morning). I forced myself to the gym every morning at 4am and began jogging and slowly started using weights, machines, and taking classes when I could fit them in. Exercise gave me energy and it was exciting to realize I could be good at something like that...it gave me a new release for all my moodiness and I found it relaxing...just blasting music and doing my thing. Plus, I made a lot of new friends in my neighborhood...

I don't know if this helps but DON'T GIVE UP! Remember you have changed your lifestyle!!!! This really isn't a diet. Also, keep in mind that your body ate the old way for years (your whole life)...it might take a while for your body to feel great in this new way, but it is worth it! Whenever I want to quit I think about how yucky I felt binging on cereal and gross fat free food. Sorry if this is boring, but you can do it! Maybe add some extra veggies or treat yourself once a week to real whipped cream...something! Hang in there...you will get through!
Good Luck & Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
Love, Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:10
Work In Progress

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 323/284/160 Female 5'3"
BF:Size: 26/24/12
Progress: 24%
Red face Don't Give Up!!

I'm sorry to hear about all you are going through, BrownBear, but PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP!! I did give up about a year and a half ago, and all I can think of is where I'd be if I'd just stuck to this. I had the same symptoms you are having, especially the bad mood swings. I've already had the talk with my family, and I told them they would just have to deal with me, because I am on a mission. I will lose this weight. I will change my eating habits. I will add years to my life! Oh, by the way, my moods got worse when I fell off the wagon because I was so disappointed with myself. DON'T QUIT!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

So, be encouraged, don't quit. By the time September comes, you will have overcome!!

#7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:23

BF:
Default Thanks

Thank you guys so much! I really need your support! I feel like my life is a constant worry right now. I just hate that I get like this. I know I will never be happy if I don't lose weight. I think that the stall might have something to do with my unhappiness or the lack of exercise. I just am so moody that i have no ambition to get out and work out...know what I mean? I hate to sound like I am feeling sorry for myself. I just want to be a better person all around..not just with my weight. I am going to post my typical daily menu and see if anyone can think of something that might be affecting me.

Breakfast
1 sausage patty, 1 slice american cheese, 1 egg
1 cup of lipton green tea splenda
Lunch
Grilled chicken sliced, one low carb tortilla, shredded cheese, 1 tbs ranch dressing
Dinner
2 hamburger patties, 1 slice american cheese, low carb tartar sauce (2 carbs), a salad with full fat ranch dressing
Snacks
handful of peanuts, sugar free jello with whipped cream

I also drink 6, 16oz bottles of water everyday...96oz total

Thanks guys! Keep the posts coming I need as much help as I can get!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:33

BF:

oh I also take zelnorm, zyrtec D, and Yasmin 28
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:49

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

You could use more veggies, IMHO. Are you still in the induction phase? Dr A says in his DANDR book that if you feel bad, by all means increase your carbs. Maybe you need to do that and move up to OWL. The added carbs may even help you start losing again. I have seen posts by folks who weren't losing and then got moving again when they did that.

Have you tried fitday? Go to the fitday sticky see if it is something you want to use...it will help you see if you are getting enough calories. Not getting enough could also be the reason you aren't feeling well.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:12

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

Brownbear...just from reading your first post I would suggest maybe uppong your carbs from 15-20 to 20-25 like the books suggests. Also the suppliments idea is a very good one. This is a corrective diet in the induction phase maybe your body doesn't need to stay in the strict part of the diet for more than the inital 2 wks.

Hope if helps and congrats on the wedding!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Eat more too. Your menu looks kind of low calorie until dinner. It could be hunger making you testy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:51

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

More veggies for sure! I also agree with the vitamins. I felt so much better when I started taking them.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 17:05
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know
Progress: 0%

Please do not give up, look at your stats, you are almost in onederland

I wonder if you are not eating enough calories, and that is why you seem more irritable? Also you might be suffering from depression, and that is NOT related to Atkins. I suffer from depression, and I know that when I go through my bad times, I am very moody, and also have no sex drive, so that honestly could be it. My husband knows when I am depressed because I just do NOT want anything to do with him sexually.

I do want to tell you that I have my periods of being "stuck" at my weight for a while, and it was very frustrating. You give it your all, and the numbers dont go down, it really stinks, BUT if you stick with this, I promise the numbers will start going down again.

Please start a journal. I can tell you that my journal has been a place where I can get all of my feelings out. If you are frustrated write down your feelings, if you are happy, write down your feelings, I guarantee that my journal has really helped me, and the fact that people write encouraging notes in my journal, really does help.

You deserve happiness, and I hope that you find it soon
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 17:59

Stats: 160/124/128 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Exercise is the key for me. I notice that if I don't get my 30 minutes in a day, I get tired and moody. I would agree that you should try more veggies and lots of water. I was at the same weight for over 5 months before I finally lost the last 10 pounds. Just keep going, don't give up - it will be worth it.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:44

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Also - is that American cheese real cheese or processed cheese food? Processed cheese food has about 6 g carbs per slice! Real cheese will only have about one. Do check on that. Eat more veggies and you will feel better and Exercise I cannot stress how important that is. Even just a 30 minute walk 3-4 times per week will help. Those endorphins really do elevate your mood! +