Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Monsterous Appetite - HELP

I'm trying to keep my carbs around 25 and my calorie intake at 1500 or below.

I need help.

My breakfast is not cutting it anymore, I need something filling w/not alot of calories/carbs.

Can you recommend anything ? what do you eat in the mornings to hold you over until lunch.

I have to keep calories low during the day because I am a night time eater and usually screw it up then (been fighting this my entire life).

THANKS !!

HUGS AND KISSES
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:18

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

We would need to see a sample of your daily diet but I'd suggest snacking or small meals. Like a hard boiled egg or 2 mid-day, for some reason they really do it for me.
Then maybe some vegies and dip a few hours before dinner and a "rootbeer float" (Diet Root Beet with a shot of whipping cream-frozen with splenda) after dinner....these things alone willl keep me full now--but that's what I did in the first weeks to get into ketosis and off cravings.
best of luck.....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:24

BF:

Whipping cream frozen, WOW, thats on the menu for sure.

I usually eat 6 slices of tky bacon around 9 am, by 10:30 am I am starving and looking for something to grab. I try to keep it small and light b/c lunch time for me is 11:30 am. After my salad w/at least 6 oz of tuna in it I am hungry by 2 pm. I don't get home until 6 pm and I hate to keep having to pick on small things during the day b/c the calories add up so fast.

Thanks for the tips
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:29

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks

It sounds to me like you're not getting enough food to fill you up. How about cutting down on those slices of turkey bacon and adding in a couple of deviled eggs? Or make some scrambled eggs (you can do it in the microwave) and add some of the turkey bacon and some cheese to it? Heck, if all I had was 6 slices of bacon in the morning, I'd be starving too!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:46

Me too--deviled eggs or hard boiled eggs work for me--I have no idea why by they fill me up and I stay full with those as a snack.
You really shouldn't be watching calories on Atkins, eat until your full and watch those carbs
I know it's a hard habit to break, but it works if you just focus on the carbs and not the calories.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:13

BF:

Thanks !!

When I don't focus on the calories, I gain no lie, went thru weeks of gaining and couldn't figure out why until a few people here mentioned watching calories as well. Once I started watching them, the weight flew off.

I have a HUGE appetite

Thank you so much for the advice.....

How do you make scrambled eggs in the nuker ?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:26

Plan: Physicians Weight Loss/Atkins
Stats: 186/175.5/155 Female 5'9''.5
BF:186/155/175.5
Progress:
Default Diet Root Beer Float

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceeMn
We would need to see a sample of your daily diet but I'd suggest snacking or small meals. Like a hard boiled egg or 2 mid-day, for some reason they really do it for me.
Then maybe some vegies and dip a few hours before dinner and a "rootbeer float" (Diet Root Beet with a shot of whipping cream-frozen with splenda) after dinner....these things alone willl keep me full now--but that's what I did in the first weeks to get into ketosis and off cravings.
best of luck.....

Silly question. The float with frozen w cream sound yummy. How do you make it. Do you add splenda to frozen whip cream and then freeze. What is the easiest way to make this. Thanks in advance frame someone seeking crave busters!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:59

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I would second the hard-boiled eggs, as boring as they may be I find that if I have two large boiled eggs for breakfast, they really do keep me going far longer than a plate of Bacon and Eggs.. very odd I know.

They are also low on the calorie front, to help you with that as well.

I find myself having to try and watch calories a bit as well, so where possible use low-fat stuff that has "minimal" difference in carbs, ie half-fat creme fraiche or double cream. Very little difference in carb levels. Half-fat cheese, no difference!! But mayonnaise and stuff like that is a BIG difference, as it has been stuffed with sugar to replace the fat - they are the big no no type alternatives that still need to be kept clear of.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:12

Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

You mention turkey bacon and a salad with tuna. Sounds kind of low fat to me. Maybe upping your fat will allow you to up the calories without the weight gain. All that yummy fat will keep you full, mmm.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am glad you've decided to start watching calories. I think if more atkins people did this, there would be far less stalls.

1500 calories sounds reasonable, but it doesn't seem to be working for you. For some reason you are too hungry on this amount. Now what we have to figure out is why you are so hungry. Can I ask you a few questions please?

1) Do you eat much processed LC food, or sugar substitutes?
2) Could you please describe, in detail, an average days worth of physical activity?
3) Could you please post, in detail, an average days worth of food? (tell us the kinds of stuff you eat)
4) Is the hunger you are experiencing constant, or does it come and go in spurts? Also, have you noticed a decrease in hunger since starting atkins?

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:14

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

If you're finding you're always hungry and in danger of a calorie blowout then I recommend you up the fat content of your diet considerably. Fat will fill you up and stop you craving.

Make sure you cook in plenty of olive oil. Add mayo to stuff...snack on cream cheese. It's pretty easy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

I make scrambled eggs in the micro if im in a hurry. Just crack open your eggs and whisk in a bowl, add a bit of cream/milk if you like. salt and pepper. But them in for about 30 sec, then stop and stir. Just keep on watching it, they puff up around the edges, then take out and stir/scramble about every 15/20 sec until they are done
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:14

BF:

Thank you all so very much for the advice, you don't know, well of course you do know how much it means to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
1) Do you eat much processed LC food, or sugar substitutes?
2) Could you please describe, in detail, an average days worth of physical activity?
3) Could you please post, in detail, an average days worth of food? (tell us the kinds of stuff you eat)
4) Is the hunger you are experiencing constant, or does it come and go in spurts? Also, have you noticed a decrease in hunger since starting atkins?
Thanks!

Of course I don't mind, I asked for help and if this helps, by all means...thank you.

1. No I don't eat alot of processed foods, and I try to stay clear of sugar subsitutes, I do however use davinci syrups in my coffee in the morning but they are made of splenda. I drink about 64 oz of water a day, I can't bear to drink any more lol.

2. An average day.. okay here goes. I'm a working mom. I get up at 4:30 to get ready for work, make lunches, take the dog out, make beds etc. I am on the road with the bambino and off to day care at 6:30 am. I arrive at my job which I sit MOST of the day except to go to lunch. 4:30 I am out and I do not arrive at home until 6 pm. Then I cook dinner, feed bambino, wash dishes, showers and get everyone ready for bed... with in that time I have about 15 minutes I can sit and play with the little one. I am in bed myself 8:30 - 9 pm. I am on the go, but I don't go much.

3. Coffee (a few cups w/cream, no more than 2 T and davinci syrup) 6 slices of tky bacon for breakfast 9 am...10:30 am I am very hungry, I some times will snack on cheese wedges..........11:30 am I have a big salad, 6 oz tuna, blue cheese dressing 2 Tablespoons, olives and maybe 3 cherry tomatoes. By 2 pm I am hungry, I'll have ham slice or cheese or olives or I'll wait it out until 6 pm when I get home. 6 pm I'll have about 5 - 6 oz of meat, tky, ckn, beef, etc. Usually that is accompanied by my home made coleslaw which I use splenda, but I only eat 2 - 3 tablespoons of that, I'll also have 2 cups of broccoli or cauliflower. Before bed I'll scarf down b/c I'm hungry 1 oz of pepperoni or cheese w/ 1 oz of pork rinds.

4. I've never had a decrease in appetite, some weeks I can control it better, but not when it comes to TOM and the few day's b/4 and after... OY.

I will admit, on occasion I will have a chocolate bar thats Low carb.. but not to often, they give me such gas.

I just want to be fuller and not always thinking of food.

Thanks for your help.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariJaneTN
I make scrambled eggs in the micro if im in a hurry. Just crack open your eggs and whisk in a bowl, add a bit of cream/milk if you like. salt and pepper. But them in for about 30 sec, then stop and stir. Just keep on watching it, they puff up around the edges, then take out and stir/scramble about every 15/20 sec until they are done

THANKS !!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:50

On the whipped cream with root beer, like a float, just take regualr whipping cream, whip it as you wood for whipped cream adn use spenda to sweeten and freeze it. Put it in a (I use a frosted glass) and pour SF rootbeer on top--totally yummy, and VERY filling.
Maybe you could try this for a afternoon snack at work?!?