Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 16:49

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default calories down while keeping fat up

I've been trying to work on keeping my calories down, not drastic, just down from where I have been (2000-2500) to (1500). I think what caused me to go up so extreme was trying to keep my fat intake high. I'd added more butter into my veggies etc and this was contributing to my end of the day high total calories. I'm finding it a battle though to keep my fat up while also keeping my calories down. For lunch today I had a single hamburger patty (fat pressed out) teaspoon of mayo (geez, mayo is 100 calories per tablespoon) mustard, on a big bed of lettuce. I guess maybe I'm thinking too far into this. 1 tablespoon of butter is 100 calories and I was prob. using 5 tablespoons a day before (with all I cooked and with what I added to my veggies..this was 500 calories alone.) No wonder my calories were so high. Hey, sorry to draw this out. I guess I just wanted some advice on keeping fat high while keeping calores low. Guess the obvious is to keep portion size down. I prob. just answered this for myself, but just wanted to get a feel of what you guys think.

Thanks
Brittany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 16:58

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Well, since fat has 9 calories per gram (carbs and protein have 4 or 5), it might be a little difficult. I would just lay off the butter a bit, maybe?

Just make sure that you are not starving yourself. I think that leads to rebound binges. As the good doctor said, "If you're hungry, eat."
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi Brittany...I think a little while ago I responded to your other thread about calories...I am going through the same things. It's hard to find just the right amount of calories, fat, and carbs without becoming addicted to fitday. One thing I try to do is eat mini-meals like 4 or 5 a day, it's annoying but I try to plan them the night before. This way I don't pig out or overdo anything. I try to make mini-meals equal about 200-300 calories each. Because I stick to really simple foods (atkins induction list) I don't worry too much about the fat. I guess I figure I am eating meat, cheese, mayo, and eggs...so I'm definitely getting my fat...lol!

Maybe if you just kicked a little of the butter it would help. I don't cook with butter...I either use PAM or a cooking oil, then if I think something needs flavor I'll add butter. Another good substitute for butter is olive oil or even a little garlic for flavor. Anyways, try not to stress about it and just cut back a little with the butter and you'll be fine.
Good Luck!
Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 17:06

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have been struggling with this also.

I'm just throwing ideas around. Maybe a caesar salad with chicken instead of the hamburger patty for lunch. This is going to give you more fat calories and less protein calories and lettuce doesn't have hardley any calories by itself.

I am trying to eat between 1600-1800 calories a day and like you I was eating well over 2000 almost everyday. This is just causing me to maintain.

My biggest meal of the day is usually dinner. Last night with dinner I had a salad (just romaine lettuce, I know boring!) with 2 Tbsp bleu cheese dressing, 2 Tbsp shredded cheese and 2 Tbsp bacon bits. I have really started measuring. I have probably been putting about 1/4 cup of dressing on my salads lately and last Friday I put so much on it I couldn't even eat it! Believe it or not 2Tbsp is enough. Same with the cheese, so I know I have cut some calores this way but also getting in some fats.

I would continue using the butter, maybe just not so much.

I think part of my problem is that I was getting too many calories from protein so I am really trying to get more fats in than protein.

I hope this helps some. Probably not! LOL

Wee
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgrl
I've been trying to work on keeping my calories down, not drastic, just down from where I have been (2000-2500) to (1500). I think what caused me to go up so extreme was trying to keep my fat intake high. I'd added more butter into my veggies etc and this was contributing to my end of the day high total calories. I'm finding it a battle though to keep my fat up while also keeping my calories down. For lunch today I had a single hamburger patty (fat pressed out) teaspoon of mayo (geez, mayo is 100 calories per tablespoon) mustard, on a big bed of lettuce. I guess maybe I'm thinking too far into this. 1 tablespoon of butter is 100 calories and I was prob. using 5 tablespoons a day before (with all I cooked and with what I added to my veggies..this was 500 calories alone.) No wonder my calories were so high. Hey, sorry to draw this out. I guess I just wanted some advice on keeping fat high while keeping calores low. Guess the obvious is to keep portion size down. I prob. just answered this for myself, but just wanted to get a feel of what you guys think.

Thanks
Brittany

IMO, it isn't that important to keep fat high as it is to keep carbs low. From my experience, I don't notice much improvement in how full I feel between protein and fat; both are equally satiating in my eyes. I have a more difficult time keeping protein up while keeping cals low, more than anything else.

If it is really important to you that your fat percentages stay up, try cutting back on protein and eating more things like the pumpkin cheesecake (this is a double benefit, since the nuts and pumpkin in the dish are very healthY).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:03

BF:

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Jennabrams, I know what you mean, I think I've become a Fitday-aholic. I am trying to eat those small meals thru out the day cause I know its just a good thing to do all around. Hey and you said you used olive oil sometimes to cook in. Is this lower in calories than butter? I do like the taste of olive oil.I think I might try cooking in Pam for a lil bit, or at least not use as much butter. (I think I overeat/overuse butter like I use to overeat pasta) Thanks for the advice and I know I freak out about stuff sometimes and really just need to calm down and enjoy this WOE! Thanks for the reminder =)
WeeOne- Thanks for your advice. Yeah I have been trying to fry more chicken lately, as I know this is lower in calories than ground beef. I do eat chicken ceasar salads alot! haha I'll sometimes go by Wendys on the way home from class and grab one/two of their ceasar .99 salads. I'll throw on some chicken on the fryer and I'll have a meal pretty fast.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:05

BF:

ItsTheWoo-The pumpkin cheescake sounds great. Where could I get the recipe for it?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I would keep my cals down and fat up by supplimenting with oils. Also tons of veggies with butter or dressings help

Something like
Breakfast - 2 eggs with lecathin and flax oil + 1 tbsp coconut oil
Lunch - Large salad with chicken breasts and olive oil dressing + 1 tbsp coconut oil
Dinner - meat (usually chicken cause I'm cheap) or fish, plus 1-2 veggies with butter, or olive oil topping.

That was back when I was doing great. Now I am tired and eat what's there :P
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britgrl
ItsTheWoo-The pumpkin cheescake sounds great. Where could I get the recipe for it?

This is my favorite breakfast, it is called pumpkin bake. Despite the relatively low calories, it *really* fills you up. A lot of the times I can't even finish my serving. It's not exactly a cheesecake, it is a little less desserty than that and a bit more hearty, but it is quite similar. The recipe recommends cutting it into 4 slices, but I find cutting it into 6 is better. Having a smaller portion brings the cals to only 240, which means you can top it with more yummy things. I top mine with a drizzle of no-sugar maple syrup, a tablespoon of whipped cream, and 1/4 an ounce crushed walnuts. This brings the total calories to just under 300. I also tend to have it with half a cup of warm atkins chocolate milk (I dilute my atkins milk with water since I don't like the thickness) to get in more protein (you seem to not have a problem getting adequate protein, so you can feel free to skip this ).

Later on in the plan when you are on a higher carb allowance like me, chopped up fruit like apples and berries also go great on it, and add to the nutrition.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53253 (please note I use full fat creamcheese, although using lite cheese will lower calories even more)

Here is a recipe for an easy and delicious pumpkin cheesecake. I don't make this as often as the pumpkin bake since the calories are higher, but when you are in the mood for cheesecake it really hits the spot.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...134&postcount=4

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 12:02.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:00
Registered Member

BF:

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with ladybelles suggestion to keep fat up and cals low by using more oils.

In my opinion, using extra oil adds a lot of calories but *without* adding extra eating enjoyment satisfaction. This is a good suggestion for those people on early induction who just can't stomach the sight or thought of food, but it is the exact opposite of what you need to do.

IMO, your problem is one of psychological unsatisfaction, not physical unsatisfaction. Therefore, the goal to making this work is to maximize the mental enjoyment of every calorie and carb. This way, you will become pspychologically satisfied with less. Here are some good tips.
a) Use *less* oils and fats that don't add a lot of "palate satisfaction". In other words, instead of 2 tablespoons of salad dressing, try 1.5 mixed with more vinegar/lemon juice. Instead of slathering your meat with 3 tablespoons of butter, try using less. You really will be surprised how satisfied you will be, taste wise, with a normal amount of oils and fats.

b) Take smaller portions on smaller plates. This works psychologically because if you eat smaller portions, you can eat more often. In my experience, the freedom of being able to eat whenever I want trumps the minor sacrifice of having to eat smaller portions. This is a personal thing though, as some people find that having to eat smaller meals is a bigger sacrifice than having to eat less often. But, in general, people like the feeling of being able to eat when they want to, and are willing to give up the monster portion sizes for it.

c) You really need to strech the psychological satisfaction of every meal. Learn to use condiments like pickles, mustard, salsa, ketchups, and others that add a ton of flavor for very little calories. Also learn to use herbs. Learn to use your "dressing" fats to make them really strech (sour cream, butters, oils, vinegarettes, etc)

For example, if you foolishly put an extra tablespoon of oil on your veggies, you have basically just added 120 extra calories into your diet. But did you enjoy those calories? Nope. Odds are it just made your already yummy veggies taste heavy and greasy. And, if you are like me, those calories will just go down the memory hole since you didn't psychologically "enjoy" them, and later you will have the urge to snack again. Snacking because you are psychologically unsatisfied is the death nell of making weight loss and maintanence work.

I recommend adding extra calories by making more mini meals and snacks, because this increases eating satisfaction. For example, instead of putting 120 calories of oil on your food in such a way that you dont even know is there, take a 100 calories of yummy peanut butter, mix it up with .25 ounce crushed nuts and maple syrup, and slather it on celery (or, later on, slice up .25 of an apple and eat it like that). This raises your fat percentage in a way that also increases eating satisfaction.

Or, try 5 tablespoons of very fluffy whipped cream (about 100-120 calories) on top of sugar free jello and chopped up berries.

The possibilities of endless. Use your imagination.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:03

Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi Britgrl,

For me, I was able to totally ignore calories and focus only on carbs. At first during induction I ate way more calories than I had been eating, but this was offset by the water weight loss. Then, as I continued to watch only my carbs, I noticed that I simply wasn't as hungry. This lead to a drop in calorie intake, and I started clipping along at about 1 to 2 lbs loss per week until I hit my target weight.

Maybe, you should ignore calories for a week or so. Just eat when your hungry, and keep your total carb count down. Then after a week of this check to see if your calorie intake hasn't naturally dropped to a level that will result in stead weight loss. Just a thought.

Regards,
Dan
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:22

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

Have you tried soy products. They have soy sausage thats 50 calories for 2 oz, Its called Gimmee Lean, its in a tube like shape and its in the produce section of most grocery stores. Its pretty good. Also for cheese, there's veggie slices, its low in calories and high in protein, just like the sausage. They also have firm tofu that can be marinated and fried up. YUM, the next day is even better b/c it gets firmer. I would recommend eating it the next day and it takes on the flavors you add to it.

#13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:11

BF:

ItsTheWoo-Thank you for your post. I liked your "psychological" approach to eating. I do agree. I might use 3 tablespoons of butter to fry in or I'll only use 1 tablespoon and sprinkle some lemon/pepper seasoning in the frying pan and it is much more satisfying than the 3 tablespoon 300 calorie butter! I see where your going...Thanks so much for the insight. It really is helpful.
Dan-I'm trying to not concern myself so much with calories but instead eat in portion size and small meals through out the day. I'm eating chicken instead of hamburger etc. and limiting my butter as I was overusing it and not really getting any extra satisfaction out of it (like ItsTheWoo was saying) I think this is doing better for me. Thanks for your advice.
Lennie- I will have to check out some of those products!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree it can be psycological in some ways. For me a large salad with chicken breast is much more filling then a hamburger, though the hamburger has alot more fat and calories. Some of it is the fiber, but most of it is the amount of food. For me I like to have a larger meal with lots of bites. I think that's why I never liked the mock danishes, there just didn't seem to be much there. However a huge plate of fried cabbage with my eggs, or zucchini hashbrowns are filling.

However with these meals, even when I was having 4-5 meals a day, I wasn't breaking 1,000 calories. For me oils were the way to get in calories and fat (I rarely eat red meat due to cost). If you just add more calories on top of what your having, then sometimes there can be problems. If you are eating too little, or if you are having too much protien, changing the ratio of fat in your existing calories can help.