Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 22:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/178/135 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Unhappy I can't lose inches in my waist?

Hello! I've lost 25 pounds since the beginning of November which I feel good about, but I've still got another 45 lbs to go before I'm at a healthy weight.

I've reached a frustrating plateau at my current weight and it seems I keep shedding inches everywhere EXCEPT my waist. I have no more double chin, my thighs and butt are disappearing (good grief my coworkers keep commenting on this!!), but I still have to hide my big waist under loose-fitting shirts!

My size 16 jeans fit snuggly around my waist but are loose everywhere else! I bought 3 pairs of size 14 jeans because I thought I was ready, but I can't button them because of my tummy! They fit fine everywhere else. I was such a "pear" until I hit my late 20's, NOW I'm the classic "apple" (and am in my early 30's) - what the heck is going on??? Anybody else solved this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 02:03
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Patience is a big part of it. You might also see if any foods you are eating are causing bloating such as candies or treats that contain SA's. Also hormones could cause bloating.

You might try pilates. I gave it a go for a while and definetly saw trimming up in the waist regiong, as well as stronger ab and back muscles to support myself.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 04:16
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

My tummy was/is the last to go. I think it is the most stubborn of body parts. Just give it time.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:35

Plan: just do it
Stats: 140/131/115 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Gighir,
After 3 pregnancies pretty close together, i feel your pain!!! i did not notice what plan you are on but just thought I'd let you know the plan i'm using is really supposed to target that mid section. In Suzanne Somer's book Fast and Easy she describes how changing the way you eat foods together can help minimize that "poochiness". For instance, foods are categorized into several categories (forgive me, I'm at work and do not have the book handy) including pro/fats, veggies, carbos, and funky foods. Pro/fats can be eaten with veggies, but not carbos, and veggies and carbos can be eaten together. The plan really allows you to eat til you are no longer hungry--no carb counting, only pay close attention to addes sugars. Oh, by the way, fruit is only acceptable by itself. Hope this helps!

LeShai
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Read the thread on Oregano Oil at Nutrition and supplements.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:10

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I just started taking Relacore which is supposed to target the abdominal fat by reducing cortisol levels. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it works. My main fat storage is in my spare tire and tummy. I'm a size 18 on top til I sit down, then I'm a 22-24!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:48

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Interesting issue, and I have a theory about this.

I think this may be because abdominal fat is deposited via a different mechanism than the other fat. Visceral fat is linked more to insulin resistance than other fat. My butt has shrunk disproportionaly too, the thigh/butt fat has a lot to do with estrogen receptors in that area, so I think that by balancing our hormones with this WOE we are able to lose that fat easier than on other diets, along with fat in other parts of the body. But the visceral fat is symptomatic of the very root of the problem, the IR, so it leaves slower and the rate of loss is maybe related to how IR we are, and how fast we can heal that on this diet. I know high cortisol can aggravate IR too.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 13:26

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Well, now that you have lost the inches from everywhere else, the fat will have to come from the waist in future loses. Just hang in there and continue to lose.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 242/178/160 Female 5'6
BF:??
Progress: 78%

This is happening to me too. I think you are really referring to belly fat rather than the waist. The waist is up a lot higher than the belly. I too have lost in my thighs and my legs and all of my jeans are big in the legs and fit my waist. I think everyone is correct that the belly fat is last to go. At least I sure hope they are!!

One suggestion that may help you and it did me is to buy some stretch jeans. I got some Lee stretch jeans at Walmart and they are great. Mind you you need to buy them 1 to 2 sizes smaller. I wear size 16 jeans but in them I can wear 14s and even a 12. When you put them on they will seem tight but you can stretch the waist to get them shut. Then as you wear them they stretch out and they will fit!! You will struggle to get them on out of the dryer but then they will relax quickly.

I just got a pair of 16 Levis yesterday that I am dying to wear but they are just still a scad too tight for me.

Hope this helps! And just wait, the belly fat will go!! I am going to wait for mine to go.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 22:13
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

For me, it was first on, last off. My stomach was the first to grow, and is the hardest to make disappear. I was told "I have no butt" the other day, but still have a gut.....but I'm getting there.

Hang in, we're here for you!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 22:14

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Read the thread on Oregano Oil at Nutrition and supplements.

I second this! I read through it all...it's a long thread!...and I'm convinced that oil of oregano works on the stomach inches because it tackles yeast build up that causes bloating. I started it today for this reason.

Another suggestion...I have been exercising regularly until this past week...I had gotten my stomach measure down to 35 (see below). I measured again today because I wanted an accurate starting point for the oil of oregano...and found that I had gained an inch back! I'm sure this is because I haven't been doing my reverse sit-ups. So you might consider trying some exercises that target that area.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 242/178/160 Female 5'6
BF:??
Progress: 78%

Okay, let us know how the Oil of Oregano works. Im a 35 also! Do you have to get it at a health food store or would Swalmart have it??Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

I agree with Daddio. I'm down 24 lbs so far, face is much thinner, legs/arms/shoulders/chest are firm and even starting to cut in some areas, but..... I still have the spare tire! OK it is more like the emergency spare from my Honda not the full sized spare from my Silverado like it used to be but it's still there.

Has anyone else noticed that they are thinner in areas first thing in the morning? I swear my love handles almost disapear overnight and then come back again during the day, must be water retention I guess. Maybe if I just sleep all day for a week they will disapear completely!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

As women, this is almost illegal, but we are going to have to start posting our age ( my age is in my username Black57-I was born in 1957 ). As we approach menopause, the area around the uterus and ovaries begin to acquire fat to hang on to a supply of estrogen ( there is estrogen in fat ), this makes it difficult to lose in this area. This may, or may not, be your reason for the stubborn waistline but that is what I blame my problem on.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 17:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay you all, I have met my goal, but as you know the stomach is the last to go. I started the Oil of Oregano post its in Nutrition and Supplements section, and this morning I very easily put on a size 3 pair of jeans, buttoned them right up and almost passed out, as its 2 days before TOM. I met my goal and am still losing inches taking this, and I havent felt this good in awhile. It has cleared my skin right up of blotchiness, and just is widdling my stomach right off. Now mind you I have had 2 C-Sections, and according to everyone after those you will not have a flat stomach, well my hip bones stick out way farther than my stomach now, so I really think that spare tire look can have something to do with yeast build up and you got to fix that.