Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 16:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Unhappy I Can't figure it out......

I have been on this WOE since Sept. 11, 2002. I lost 50 lbs within the first 7 or 8 months. I have not lost anything in the last 7 or 8 months. My food intake has not changed. I am walking now 4 days a week. My clothes size is stable. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME? I am getting discouraged to the max as I approach my 2 year aniversary to this WOE. Any encouraging words or tips out there?

Thanks,
Nanci
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 16:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Nanci- I really wish I had some great advise for you to help you here. The only thing that raised a red flag for me in your post was this..."My food intake has not changed." Now I'm not sure here if you're talking about the "type" of intake or the "amount" of intake. If you're talking about "amount", then I'm thinking with losing 50 pounds, it would have to change, as you're supporting much less weight. ( A big CONGRATS on that BTW). I know for myself that in order to lose, I have to watch calories. There are many that don't, but unfortunately, that's not me. It might be helpful to post some menus so that others may be able to see some potential trouble spots! Also..look for things that are different in your life..such as hormonal changes that may be going on, medications or supplements that may have been added. It might not have anything to do with this WOE or exercise!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 17:00
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

You're not alone! Here is a link to a thread Diane (Quest) started a couple of weeks ago on the 50 Pound Stall. It references a thread I started previously on a similar topic.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=164447

I don't have the answer for why we suddenly stall out or turn into turtles. I think it is more complicated than simply the fact that our bodies are smaller and need more calories. Some of my thoughts on this are in the thread.

However, I have been experimenting with low calorie, low carb dieting and I lost three pounds last week. If you want to see what I am doing, read the last week of posts in my journal. Quest also is following a similar strategy and has some posts about it in her journal.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 07:51

BF:

Thanks Char and Liz for listening to me whine. I think Char may be right, and you too, Liz, about the calories that I am taking in. That may be it. I was eating the same as the first 50 lbs...........quantity too. I think that I need to cut back the amount of food that I am eating. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have cheated in the last 18 months, at least my carb intake is low. Just have to throttle back on portion size and fat, I guess.

Thanks,
Nanci
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:07
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Nanci, I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know I feel for you. It's frustrating to be doing everything right and to not lose. I can't imagine how you've done it over the last 7 months. I admire your perseverance!

Valerie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:16

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I will chime in too, both about sharing the frustration AND the uncertainty about what will work. One thing I do believe in is that the progress is there, however sometimes at a pace so slow it cannot easily be observed. Nanci, you have gone a very long time with no loss, but you also have the knowledge that you maintained a 50 pound drop over 7+ months, without hunger or "suffering" (or so I hope).
I wish we knew more about why the WOE slows to a crawl for many of us, which some lucky ones keep dropping 3-4 pounds a week until they are within 10 pounds of goal.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:02

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Just wanted you to know I feel for you....I know it's got to be so frustrating...so many great things have been said already...I hope you are able to see the scales move again soon!!!! There is a lot to be said for maintaining!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:49

BF:

I have maintained the 50 lb loss over the last 7 months or so, effortlessly. When I reach my goal, at least I know that I can maintain the loss. I guess I havent really been watching the calendar much, as these months have flown by. I do really want to see some progress, tho. I do hate to count calories!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 16:49

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Nanci- I just spent a good chunk of time here reading the link that Liz posted. If you haven't done so already, it really contains alot of information. I do think that this whole thing is an experiment we do on ourselves. What works for one person is not going to work for the next and we just have to keep searching for what works for us! I really enjoyed the discussion on that thread!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:14

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

If you haven't already, try adding L-Carnitine supplements to your plan. A lot of people feel it helps speed up weight loss. Also, Oil of Oregano is good.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 09:38

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

Nanci, I did a little reading in your journal and saw that you eat just one meal a day. I think that you might do better by eating a little more frequently. You say that you do better if you don't start eating but you really need to spread the calories out. Maybe not to the extreme of six small meals--I know I couldn't do that--but maybe at least breakfast and dinner and a snack or two. An overload of food at night might be the problem even if you did eat this way when you lost weight (Congrats on that!)

When you've been doing the same thing and not getting results it is time to change. Stay with this WOE but shake it up a little! Try eating some of the foods that have been connected weight loss like almonds and fish. There are some supplements have been connected with weight loss, you could look into those, too. You might even try a different exercise routine like swimming or weight resistance.

When what you have been doing isn't getting results it's time to change something. Good luck!

Connie
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:08

BF:

I also read the link that liz posted. Very informative. I am not sure that there are answers there that I havent already tried. I am only eating one meal per day now. I know, I know, This is not doctrine. once I start putting food into the hopper, I have a hard time controling the ammount that goes in. For me, If I just eat once a day, I can control the input better. However, counting calories again, makes this WOE .........NO FUN!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 10:43

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Nanci, even though I am suggesting some lower calorie days, I don't actually count calories. I go by portion size and just the general feeling in my body (NOt necessarily hunger!) that comes when I am eating lighter.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:45

BF:

I want to thank everyone for their input here. I am getting discouraged with no results. I started the fat fast today. I have tried this before and was miserable but I am miserable anyway, so why not try it again. I don't want to get so discouraged that I quit this WOE. On the whole, my life has improved and I am down 50 lbs, so there is a bright side.

Nanci
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Warm hugs {{{{{}}}}}
You have a long road behind you as well as a long road ahead. But consider how far it looks backwards-you are different now then when you started.
Hope the fat fast cleans the slate and lets you move on.