Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.3/187.3/143.3 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pimples & Atkins?

I have been waking up for the last 3 days with a new pimple on my face! I am assuming this is related to the high fat diet (Atkins) I been following for the last 6 days. Anybody else notice this embarrasing problem??

(LOL quite funny haven't had any pimples since I was 16 years old).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:32

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

actually the majority of people's skin on Atkins clears up.. thats unusual. It will more than likely go away, and clear up to better than it normally is.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

Actually I had this problem too. I have never suffered bad skin and before this woe did eat a lot of chocolate and pasta/rice/spuds etc. At Uni I ate loads of crap - you name it pizza, hotchips by the kilo, and my skin never broke out...then I started atkins and all of a sudden I was getting one spot at a time every other day or so...it freaked me out!

However it has all calmed down now and i cut down on cheese and processed meats and increased the WATER and variety of veggies. I also cut down (quite coincidentally) my working hours and relaxed more and now my skin looks better than pre-ATkins. So you are not alone, but I dont think it is something that will become a real problem!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:43

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I'm one of the few that have the same problem! I actually have always had eczema and horribly dry skin so pimples weren't much of an issue. Now, I have at least 3 on my chin! I've just started using a Gentle Buff Puff and it seems to be helping. I keep waiting to get the wonderful skin everyone keeps talking about Good luck.
Alli
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Atkins really changes your hormonal profile; most people find that their hormones are normalized because without the insulin production they aren't pumping out androgens like they were before. So, most people find their skin clears up a lot.

But for some reason some people find their skin breaks out. Maybe this has more to do with hormones being released from fat cells due to weight loss? Hmmm I don't know. I used to have horrible skin before atkins; within a week of atkins my skin almost entirely cleared up. Now i *never* have break outs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 22:37

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

yeah, i've had some breakout on my nose-- been using differin, and now i just started Yasmin (bc pills) which is supposed to help acne so i'm hoping it'll go away.... don't know why some get clear skin and others don't!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:01

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I really haven't noticed much of a difference in my skin good or bad and I've been on Atkins 9 months now. Of course I don't have much of a problem with acne anyway, just dry skin (worse in the winter). I'm hoping that eventually the dry skin will get better. Guess everyone is affected differently.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 01:27

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

wonder if it may have to do with cooking so much with oil? The oils in the steam getting on your face??? Just a guess Maybe try washing your face after cooking and see if it helps...that's my theory

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 06:19
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I'm broke out all the time too. I'm 36 and use Clearasil like a 16 year old every morning, and also use Oil of Olay to combat "old age" wrinkles around my eyes lol

My face is confused- chin is 16, eyes are 56.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 06:24
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

In the beginning, my face broke out more which lasted for about 2-3 months. Then, it completely cleared up, and rarely do I get acne now. I LOVE this WOL!!

Oh yeah, and I bought some Stridex pads which helped immensely.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 06:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
My face is confused- chin is 16, eyes are 56

Hey Nursey15 ...That really made me laugh!

That reminds me, as I was saying I didnt have acne prior to LC but my skin was dry and that as well as my hair has been a lot better presumably 'cos of all (oily proteins) the good things I eat now - avocados, nuts, eggs etc. Its strange, instead of giving up stuff on this woe, I have added in so many things that I didnt really take much notice of before.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:42

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Every now and then I'll have an unexpected breakout. I like to hope its because I've burned some fat and some stored hormones have been released, upsettng my system temporarily. For the most part my complexion has been great since doing Atkins.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:49

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:

Hi

My skin cleared up when I started Atkins some 10 months ago...

Two ideas about your skin:

The crap that is coming out of your fat as you dissolve it may be years old. My fat has been on my bod for twelve years, so some of that crap I ate in Uni might just now be seeping out of my bod...

When I eat chicken wings, if some of the grease or sauce falls on to my face, down my lip (cuz I can't control myself around wings!), it will cause a clogged pore and I will get pimples around my mouth. If I wash as soon as I get up from the table, I tend not to get the pimples.

Good luck! Enjoy the Youthful feeling...!?!??

Mary
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:54

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have found that I get pimples all the time now!! And it gets really bad during my TOM week....

... oh well, keep drinking the water.

Least my skin thinks I am still a teenager!