Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 20:41

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

i never did the cabbage soup diet-- was the soup any good though? how did u make it? I would love a good LC cabbage soup recipie! Hey--i wonder if you could make LC stuffed cabage by pouring chicken broth on top and baking it, instead of tomatoe....or maybe not, haha
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 23:01

BF:

Oven-Baked Cabbage

1 medium head cabbage
4 tsp bacon drippings, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup water, divided
4 tablespoons picante sauce, divided

Wash cabbage and cut into 4 wedges. Remove any tough outer leaves. Place each wedge on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spread each wedge with 1 teaspoon of bacon drippings (bacon grease to you non-Southerners). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Wrap foil tightly around cabbage, leaving one end open. Into the open end, spoon 1 tablespoon picante sauce and 2 tablespoons water. Seal tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

--can use butter instead of bacon dripping, and diff fillers besides picante like bacon, any meat, cheese.....
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Wow! I never knew exactly what cabbage rolls were! Now that I know the ingredients, I realize that my grandmother used to make them all the time. She called them "Pigs in a blanket".

I'm going out today and getting cabbage! Cole slaw is one of the things I dearly miss, sweet and sour and creamy, and that lasagna is destined t be my dinner tonight!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Amber
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 17:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Pigs in a blanket for us was hotdogs wrapped in those pop can rolls. The fancier places would use sausages, but for cheapness my parents would do hotdogs.

Of course that was back when a package of hot dogs was $0.89-$0.99 not $3 a package :P
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 18:09

Stats: 170/169/160 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 10%

#36   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 18:53

BF:

i did, but ugghh-- it looks revolting! I can't believe people ate only that to loose weight???? woa, makes u appreciate Atkins all the more...lol
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 22:34

Stats: 272/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I am glad you liked the Cabbage Lasagna Recipe--I made it again and I had sliced cumcumber and onions in cream sauce with it. It is the recipe with sour cream, vinegar, sweetner, onions, green pepper, dill weed. It really complimented the Lasagna. I love cole slaw with it most of the time. But this is good for a change. It gets better the next day after it marinates.

Ladybelle: What is the Zuchinni Lasagna recipe?? That sounds good. When I plant garden, I always plant extra zuchinni--if I like that dish-I may have to plant a field of it. Do you have the recipe for the zuchinni lasagna? That sounds like a good dish to try.

I love "comfort foods" and since doing low carb I spend a lot of time reading through my old cook books and on the internet to find a low carb way to adapt.
I really believe that if you make this WOL an adventure in trying new foods and searching for new ways to make recipes- I think it keeps me more interested in striving for the goal. I know we are suppose to be "breaking" our old food habits... but if this is going to be my new way of life, I also have to have interesting low carb comfort food. I think that's why I enjoy Atkins so much.
Even if the weight loss is slower - at 2 pounds per week. That is so much better than gaining 2 pounds a week--and I don't miss out on good food either.

I just love this support forum. Thanks you guys for your feed back. You really help a lot more than you know.

Quiltlady
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 00:07

BF:

hey quiltlady,
i know what u mean about experimenting with food--it is so much fun! I found another recipie idea--frie cabbage in oil and then break a couple of eggs over it and scramble....i think i'll try that for breakfast. got any other good, low-carb, creative, easy breakfast ideas, even w/o cabbage? (lol) What's your absolute fav recipie to make?
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 04:02

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

I NEVER imagined that i would LOVE cabbage as much as I do, and I think there maybe something to this theory, I was eating a lot in the beginning, and dropped it. the last few days have been eating it and seeing the scales move.

my favourite way to eat it is to shred it, and stir fry it in a little olive oil with some crushed garlic and chilli. Don't overcook it.. just brown it and soften a little. Delicious with pork cooked this way.

I also have it cooked shredded with minced pork, chilli, garlic, bean sprouts, corriander and some soy sauce. I love this cold for lunch.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 04:44

Plan: atkins/now cad
Stats: 179/154/155 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hey Guys,
I was just reading this thread and thought maybe you could add gratted cauliflower to the beef or maybe shredded zuchinni for the cabbage rolls?? Not really sure since I have never made these before. Maybe I will try these tonight. Oh, I make my coleslaw with .5 cup mayo, .25 cup apple vinager, and a few packets of splenda. This turns out very nice, kind of a sweet and sour taste. Have an awsome day,
Pam
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:19

Plan: low carbing my way
Stats: 267/215.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:too much
Progress: 44%

Im going to have to try eating cabbage more often and seeif it gives me a boost.

I make the lasagna also but a little diferently.
I just make my normal sauce, and use the cabbage leaves raw to layer it. it comes out really good and DH prefers it to the old noodle way.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 15:02

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/176/156 Female 5'-10"
BF:22.1
Progress: 31%

um, does the cabbage lasagna taste cabbageeee?
I'm not a big fan o' the cabbage, wish I was...

I do have the eggplant lasagna recipe and i can convince the boyfriend to eat it too. that's always a challenge!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 15:11

BF:

Hi Everyone,

You guys have been giving me some great new ways to use cabbage.
I thought of one also since I read the board--
Ladybelle mentioned "pigs in the blanket" as using the hotdogs in the crescent rolls. That is how I always made them also. But her mentioning the hot dogs gave me and idea.
I bought some Hebrew hot dogs which were very low carb--but I really missed the bun. I am going to slice cabbage into long strips about 3 inches wide--and cook them in water, -drain- then use them like you would buns. I want to wrap the cooked hotdog into the strip of cooked cabbage and add a slice of cheese inside the cabbage strip- roll it up like a bun -then when the cheese melts******WOW! I bet this is good-- I haven't made it yet- but you guys have given me an idea.
I plan to make it this weekend. Since the carb count would be really low, you could even use this as an appetizer or finger food. I bet you could even warm them in he microwave later if you have leftovers. Maybe even make a low carb dipping sauce like bar-b-que or something.
Thanks you guys for the great ideas.
I live in Illinois and Spring is just around the corner. I can't wait to plant some cabbage out in the garden. Zuchinni also.
Spring is in the air.. Yeah!!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 15:18

BF:

Hi Iluvcheez,

I just saw your message:

"um, does the cabbage lasagna taste cabbageeee?
I'm not a big fan o' the cabbage
, wish I was..."

I think it tastes like cabbage--but I do add a little Splenda to the water when I am cooking the cabbage to take the "bitter" taste out of the cabbage.

I don't know if you would like it since it does taste like cabbage. Have you ever tried to add sweetener to cooked cabbage? You might like it if you used the artificial sweetner on it.

You could try it, and if you don't like it-- don't make it into the Lasagna.

Just a thought--hope it helps.
Quiltlady
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 15:51

Plan: low carbing my way
Stats: 267/215.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:too much
Progress: 44%

when I make the lasagna, I just put whole raw leaves of cabbage in between the layers.
you can taste the cabbage, but it doesnt overwhelm the lasagna.
Im not a HUGE fan of cooked cabbage, but I love this way of eating it.