Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 20:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%
Talking B&J Super Fudge Chunk - I've died and gone to heaven!

I just found pints of "no sugar added" Ben and Jerry's NY Super Fudge Chunk in the supermarket! Too good to be true, right? (the label even says "pinch me, it's true!") The label says a half cup serving has 18 total carbs - including 5 of fiber and 8 of sugar alcohols. That's 5 carbs! (if you buy the "net carbs" thing, which I will certainly leap to do when it comes to Ben and Jerry's!)

So okay, gotta be nasty right?

I can't believe it - it tastes absolutely perfect. And I'm someone who usually can't stand sweeteners, even Splenda. I am dancing here! This was one of my all time favorite treats, pre Atkins. And now I can have it again! (yes yes, in moderation, of course. Actually, in the old days I could polish off a whole pint of ice cream but I'm sure I couldn't anymore, low carb or not.)

I know this reads like an ad, and that the mods will move it, but I never remember to look in the new products forum and only learn of new stuff from moved threads in this forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 20:19
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

hey NYorker, what is it sweetened with (which sugar alcohol?), and where did you get it?
Thanks
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 20:25

It says splenda on the front of the label but the ingredients list seems to also list every sweetner under the sun: lactitol, maltitol, sorbitol, erythritol, something called oligofructose.....some other stuff I didn't recognize. It's a chemistry set. But I don't care. It's marvelous!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 20:34
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

What is the carb count?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 20:48

Plan: Atkins / Isagenix/ IF
Stats: 282.5/210/160 Female 5'7
BF:71%/31.66%/20%
Progress: 59%

hmmmm I know that any "fructose" is a fruit derived sugar and Atkins says to stay clear of that. Anyone know what "oligofructose" is?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:14

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I don't know exactly what it is, but I'm with csolyn, I thought anything with a -ose ending meant sugar.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:40
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

Oligofructose just means short chains made up of fructose molecules. So yes, sugar, but not straight sugar; the oligosaccharides (sugar chains) need to be broken down before being used, and so they should take a little longer to be absorbed. For Ben and Jerry's I'd risk it ;-> I'm going to have to see if they've got it at my local supermarket!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:43

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

B& J also has a new ice cream that has only 2 net carbs. It is called "Carb Karma" Vanilla Almond Fudge and is very yummy.
The first time I tried it I didn't like it much, because it is not very sweet. The second time I really really liked it. Only 2 net carbs!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 04:46

I tried the Carb Karma chocolate in a Ben and Jerry's store and it was meh. The texture was off and the taste wasn't very chocolatey. It tasted like fake ice cream, basically.
But the fudge chunk tastes so much like the real thing I wouldn't know the difference.