Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 17:42

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default what foods do you carb up with?

Holy crap i love this cycic diet! On atkins, i wasn't getting enough carbs for weight lifting (currently benching 170lbs)... anywayz, i realized that when i get tired really really quickly at the gym lifting... after going on CKD for 2weeks, i feel soo much better on workouts and upped my reps from 170lbs X 6 to 170lbs X 8! yipeee! so far, haven't gained any weight on the weekend carb-loading weekends... Getting around 400carbs from mostly complex carbs and treat myself to pizza on saturdays... reason for the high carb intake on weekends is the need for glycogen replacement in muscles

This lowcarb/highcarb cycle (but mostly lowcarb) may be strange to some, but it's working for me and a lot of people on forum.bodybuilding.com ... i don't suggest this for people wanting to lose weight a lot more weight, but to those who are very close to maintenance

whoah! only realized there was a CKD forum when my post was moved hehehe

can anyone suggest what what foods i can carb up with?

Last edited by rice_boi : Thu, Feb-26-04 at 18:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:14

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

There are tons of posts about this around here. Try searching for "carb up foods" or something.

Here is a thread to get you started: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...highlight=foods

HTH!

BTW, I really don't think 400g of carbs are nearly enough to supercompensate your muscles. There is a CKD calculator here: http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petr...ss/ckdcalc.html

You may be surprised! At my weight, I was aiming for about 700g carbs total for the carb-up, and I gained 2-3 lbs. due to glycogen uptake (essentially water weight) which was gone after my first couple of workouts during the week. After that, everything I lost that week was FAT! From my experience, you should DEFINITELY be gaining a few pounds, or you're not supercompensating your muscles. YMMV, of course, but that's what I've learned from research and experience.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:25
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

I'm carbing-up tommorrow! Boy, is that a great thing to look forward to or what?! Anyway, one of my staples is cereal. I mostly eat Honey Grahams and I eat a box or two during my carb-up. I might eat a bowl or two with no-fat milk, but the rest I just munch on dry throughout the carb-up (watching TV,in the car, at the computer, whatever).

Anyway, I guess if you're on a CKD, you've done research on it.....high GI carbs beginning of carb-up transitioning to low GI the second half mostly.

I start quickly after my depletion workout with 50gms dextrose in my p/w shake with protein, then I usually head straight to buffet restaurant and hit the mashed potatoes, hot bread, rice and beans, stuff like that mostly high GI stuff but not all, and then I hit that desert bar! I try not to eat TOO much fat stuff there, but I must admit, I hit it!! It hasn't hurt me at all so far to indulge in a couple of higher fat carb. items that I just can't have any other time! I make it sound like really pigging out, but I really can't fit that much in my stomach after watching my calories during the week. I often walk out with my stomach feeling way too full after not eating that much. Anyway, I usually carb up untill I go to bed Sat. night and I mostly take it real easy on any higher fat stuff the rest of those days.

I often have pancakes Sat. mornings. Sweet potatoes, brown rice and beans, pasta ..... all good second half foods. I don't eat quite as much protein as during the week and keep it to lower fat (chicken, fish, cottage cheese, etc).

Not very hungry Sun. for some reason...hehehe....makes it pretty easy to keep calories down then and help to get back into ketosis quick.

Good luck with CKDing, and if you never been there, they have a pretty decent forum at www.~~~~~.forums

Won't let me put this url here for some reason, but if you PM me, I'll e-mail it to ya', its a forum totally devoted to CKD.

Last edited by Chipperoo : Thu, Feb-26-04 at 21:35.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:29
Southern Gentleman

By the way, I've never even attempted to count the calories or nutritional amounts during my carb-ups. I always gain 6 to 11 lbs and so far have always lost weight from friday morning to the next friday morning (which means weighing the mornings before my carb-up every week for consistency).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:41

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Just a caveat about the CLD calculator that I remembered: you will have to input your own BF. Just for laughs, though, click the button and see what it says you have. It says I'm 8%! Hehehehehehehehehehehe! Oh, that gives me such giggles!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Too funny that this thread is here. I was going to post a thread on what this weeks carb up was gonna be ...

So here it is:

Pre-workout (1 hour prior): 2 apples to bump out of ketosis

Post-workout (8 pm): 1/2 an isopure, Creatine Fuel, 300g of Glycoload

10 pm: 400g carbs ... as bananas, rice pudding

12 am: 1/2 an isopure, 300g Glycoload

Saturday ...

6 am: 300g of mini-wheats, 1c. LC milk

8 am: 300g of corn flakes, 1c. LC milk

10 am: baked potato, orange juice (total 300g carbs)

noon: Healthy Choice French Bread Pizza (total 100g carbs)

2 pm: 1/2 isopure, 100g Glycoload

4pm: same as 2 pm

6pm: bagel, lowfat cream cheese

8pm: pasta, grilled chicken, salad, iced tea

10pm: probably beer.

Sunday ...

about the same as Saturday. Stop carbs at 8pm, last meal being corn flakes and LC milk.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:52
Southern Gentleman

Hey Dan, you like low carb milk so much you drink it on your carb-up?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 08:51

No, but lactose does funny things to me when I haven't had it in a week. LOL. I enjoy sleeping in the same room as my GF.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 09:11
Southern Gentleman

Is THAT what does that ...hehe.....I was planning on buying some "beano" this week, man that's one of the drawbacks to the carb-up!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 09:45

Well, the huge influx of fiber makes the flora in your intestines really active too ... but lactose is usually a big culprit.

If you don't take in dairy for awhile, your body reduced production of the enzyme needed to process lactose. Then if you start taking in a lot of dairy on your carb-up, bad things happen. It affects some more than others.

Beano is still a good idea before meals.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 09:47

I forgot how fun these carb ups were on my lowback ... the sudden weight gain is wreaking havoc on my lower back. Damn glycogen water weight. LOL.

Feel tight and pumped tho.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 10:51
Southern Gentleman

Thanks for the info. Dan. It should be a big help, so I can plan better 'cause I've been "suffering" somewhat from these kinda' probs (well, I guess my family's been suffering too, LOL). Delicate subject, but carb-ups are really not that much fun when you're in the Men's room half the time!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 11:28

FWIW, Glycoload is nasty. LOL. Time to go back to Ultra Fuel. Blech! Glycoload appealed to me with the little bit of added protein, and the electrolytes, etc.

They should work on the taste. <shudders>
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 19:15

Plan: 1
Stats: 1/1/1
BF:
Progress:

To me it just sounds like you were potassium defficient. I wouldn't be in a rush to give carbs credit for 2 rep gain.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:22

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by afalzone
To me it just sounds like you were potassium defficient. I wouldn't be in a rush to give carbs credit for 2 rep gain.

overall i get more energy is more consistent while on CKD... while on an SKD/Atkins diet, there are days i feel weak and can't even imagine getting on the cardio machines or getting on the bench or picking up the dumbells... now i feel energetic every day of the week (including day before carb-up!)

potassium defficient? what do you mean? can you ellaborate?

any of you CKDers feel or even look bigger VS while you're on a regular lowcarb diet?