Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:39
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Supplements ??

I'm new in this forum. After 2 weeks of being back on the LC WOE, I find that my diet is automatically gravitating toward the Paleolithic paradigm. It kind of surprised me, but I found myself rejecting all forms of grain, and nearly cut out all dairy. I love meat, and my favorite steak is rare. I'm getting ready to place an order for grass-fed beef and pork (and a freezer to put it in).

The fake sweeteners and products made therefrom make no sense to me ... they just serve to keep my taste for "sweet" alive. Nor do the low carb "kind-of-like-bread" products. And I've cut my caffeine in half already (which wasn't much to begin with), and plan to keep cutting it until it's easily gone.

So for a few days now, I've been spooking around the Paleo posts and definitely feel a connection here. I ordered my copy of NeanderThin today, and can't wait to get it!

Here's my question of the moment: what supplementation is recommended? What pills are you guys popping? I absolutely hate to take pills. I did get some magnesium, malic acid, and potassium supplements, along with some psyllium capsules (I got diarrhea from the magnesium!). I'm already tired of taking these pills at every meal. What I'm thinking is that I should be getting everything I need from my healthy food choices I'm making, and the choices are getting healthier all the time. Does anyone here just forego the pills and take the chances? That is what I intuitively feel led to do. I would appreciate any input.

I'm glad to be here in this forum. I feel like I've found a place where I just might fit.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 16:57

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%

Hey Jen B,

If you're eating paleo correctly you don't need supplements except...

The only pill I pop is an Omega 3 supplement, but since you're getting grass fed, and if you keep eating that, you're already getting the right ratio of omegas anyway!

If you go on a vacation or whatever, bring that magical omega 3 with you though! (or get the wild salmon fillet)

I have a small freezer in a one bedroom apartment, but I'd order grass fed in a minute if I could! Thank god my market sells omega 3 eggs or I'd be lost!

Coconut oil is good to... especially for the skin and if you know any Thai people, now you know where they get that healthy glow from!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 06:40
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Steveed,

Thanks for your response, which was really what I wanted to hear! (Yay, no pills!) Actually, my husband is making me take all the pills I have on hand so that I didn't waste my money, and so that there's not a bunch of bottles hanging around!

I'm sorry you don't have freezer room for grass-fed meat. I couldn't find any local ranches near me, but I did find an on-line source that seems very reputable and reasonable. And you don't have to order a quarter or half cow or anything. You get to select your cuts. Maybe you could jamb-pack your little freezer with some. Here's the link:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

This company had one of their chuck steaks analyzed by Animal, Dairy, and Veterinary Sciences, Skaggs Nutrition Laboratory, on September 16, 2003, and the fatty acid analysis numbers are shown on the site. The steak had a composition % ratio of 1.22 Omega-3 to 1.08 Omega-6. Not bad! I'm really looking forward to tasting the meat to see what the difference is. This company also doesn't close-trim their meat, so that there's some fat to work with, and their perspective on mad cow disease is enlightening.

Thanks, again, and have a great day!

Jennifer
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:43
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Steeved,

I just now saw that the meat link I gave above has a minimum order of 15 lbs.

Also, what are Omega-3 eggs? I buy eggs that are fertile from range free chickens. Do you think I can assume these are the best? (I don't actually have one of the cartons right now, or I would tell you if it said anything other than that.)

Would like your input.

Jennifer
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:27
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Steveed,

Oops ... I misspelled your name on the second post (sorry). Are your Omega-3 capsules fish oil capsules or what? If fish oil, do you check them every so often for rancidity by chewing one (like the Eades recommend)? What capsules do you recommend?

Jennifer
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%
Default Coconut oil

Hello

I totally agree about the coconut oil - it is very good. It tastes very good, and since I've been taking it ('bout 2 weeks now) my hormonal acne on my chin has been clearing up (already!). I've had this for about 2 years now (acne) and was getting very frustrated. I don't really know how it works, but it seems to be doing something!

I did try putting it on my skin (I am also plagued by eczema which is worse right now as it is Summer in Chile), but it seemed to make my eczema worse. So I'm sticking to taking it internally for now.

Lou
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:16

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%

Jen B

I just buy the pills and hope for the best, the place I go to has a good turn around so I'm not worried. I have tried grass fed before...Lasater farms I think it was, they have a family sampler...I'll probably get it again in the near future, it's 36 lbs for 144.00 (I think it's Lasater, it might be grassfed like your link.)

The omega 3 egg chickens are fed lotsa flax, thus the omega 3. I would rather have the grass fed, but for now I'll stick with the organic beef at PCC close to me and add supplemental Omega 3...no biggie.

I agree, the less pills the better, we were'nt meant to eat pills, pills are not food!
(of course what passes for beef these days hardly passes as food either )