Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 04:36

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Friday - Feb 27

Welcome to the Protein Power Pals daily thread. All are welcome that are using, considering or curious about this WOE. We also welcome friends using other LC WOEs to drop by for some friendly conversation and a large glass of water.

My menu yesterday was fairly good yesterday - a bit low on carbs and high on calories. Feeling much better today after an unresidented 9 hours of sleep - guess I was just exhausted.

Started watching my calorie per pound intake several weeks ago to try to drop 5 lbs or so by about March 15. Weight today is at 173.5 - so I've lost 3.5 of those 5 pounds. Calories per pound 1701 / 174 = 9.77 (aiming for around 8 to 9.5).

Total calories: 1701
Fat: 92 gms 830 cal 51%
Sat: 29 gms 263 cal 16%
Poly: 20 gms 179 cal 11%
Mono: 35 gms 316 cal 20%
Carbs: 42 gms 97 cal 6% ECC: 24 gms
Fiber: 18 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 172 gms 688 cal 43%

Breakfast:
4 egg-beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Lunch:
7 ozs baked ham - lean only eaten
1/4 cup flexseeds with liquid sweetener and vanilla extract

Snack:
1 oz pork rinds
1 oz french oinion dip

Dinner:
2 medium pork chops - broiled - bone-in - lean only eaten
.75 cup tomato dish
Recipe: simmer can of diced tomatoes uncovered in non-stick skillet until about half of the watery part evaporates - add other ingredients (2 oz velveeta, 2 t onion flakes, .25 cup parmesan cheese (dry), garlic powder) and simmer uncovered for about 3 more minutes - serves 2
1 cup LC mixed veggies - stir-fried in very little olive oil

About 50 ozs water & 30 ozs coffee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 05:27
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good Morning..

Been laying in bed the last hour, tossing and turning.. Finally, just said, pffff... just get up Dawn...But I am not the first early bird! WTG ORANG on your WEIGHT LOSS! YAY! Glad you are getting some results

The snow is still on the ground and chilly..

Question for the day:

What supplements is everyone taking, why/what for? And what impact have they had on your weight loss?

Make a great day!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 06:18

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good morning everyone!!

Re: Supplements-I take one multi-vitamin most mornings when I remember. I don't seem to feel a difference whether I take it or not.

Re: Six kids- Very definately not a saint-just very crazy!!! Right now they are driving me nuts. Please spring come soon!

Re: Movie-DH dragged me to the late show last night to see Passion. Cried for 2 hours and then couldn't get to sleep last night. Dragging around this morning.

Re: Menu-I sure like seeing everyone's menus. They give me great ideas and also let me know that I am not too far off. I try to stay close to 70-25-5 but I seem to be closer to 7% carbs. Usually under 40-about 30 net. I probably drink too much coffee but am not willing to give that up.

Everyone have a great day!!! TGIF!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 06:30

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Supplements - one Centrum, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, niacin, garlic, gingko bioboa, vitamin E, vitamin C, a liquid essential mineral supplement. The vitmin / mineral supplement advocate in this household is hubby - he added most of these to my diet. I added more magnesium after reading PPLP.

The niacin is the quick release kind - my Dad's doctor feels taking 500mg daily helps cardiovascular health - a contention supported by research. This causes me to experience flushing for about 20 mins as it causes vasodilation. Many cannot handle this side effect - it doesn't bother me that much.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Down to 163 this morning! Thank you, Trickle Fairy!

#6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:13
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

YAY BAWDY!

Oh gosh, Im addicted to this.. brr. got the car warming up.. even the dogs didnt want to walk, they just did their numbers and back to the door before I even got out of my car from starting it up!

See you later, wish me luck with my hair..

..........still lifting meg in prayer and her family...............
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Goodmorning!
Bawdy knows I am a PP lurker. Just wanted to ask eightC what "endurance riding" is, and wanted to congratulate Bawdy and Orang on the way their weight loss is going!
E
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:46

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

What supplements is everyone taking, why/what for? And what impact have they had on your weight loss?
---------------------
I take my one a day vitamin, plus Potassium, Chromium with a trace of Magnesium, Niacin, E, Calcium and CoQ10, L-Glutamine Powder, Carlson's Cod Liver Oil. This is all I can think of at 5.15 am this morning. I’m not sure what impact they have had on my weight loss. I know I didn’t take vitamins before, hated taking pills, but when I started on Jan 1, the PPLP said take vitamins and which ones so I started adding them to my daily routine. Taking them all now has become a habit for me. I’ve lost 40 lbs in 58 days.

My goals for March are I want to focus more on hiking and exercising. Toning up my body, building muscle and gaining an overall better feel in my body. In fact, I wouldn’t mind a 5+ lb gain as long as it is muscle. So I need to adjust my way of eating to accommodate the more calories needed to build muscle.

Question/Advice/Comments/Suggestions: If a person weighs 265 lbs as I do, what types of foods would you eat to be able to get the amount of calories that is needed plus stay within the 30 or less carb range? How do you keep carbs low and calories high? I understand that calories don’t necessary count but I also don’t want to put myself in starvation mode which I believe is where I’m currently at. I’m lucky if I eat 1200 calories a day. Some days are more but not by much. The average for Feb was 1368 a day. This has been an on going problem for me because to eat over 2000 calories a day and not go over in carbs is very hard. I count everything. I use Fitday to assist me with this and it isn’t always kind.

--------------

Thanks Orang for the help. I leave early <5 am> Sat morning and will be on a two day backpacking hike. Its cold and it is wet perfect weather to try out my new rain gear, trekking poles, backpack and tent. My plan is to hike 2 / 10 mile days carrying a 25lbs pack and then be picked up or rescued Sunday evening.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 08:53

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Enomarb- Endurance riding is riding my horse along a pre-set measured course for either 25 miles in 6 hours, 50 miles in 12 hours, or the ultimate goal of 100 miles in 24 hours. Our goal is 25 milers this year, 50 next and beyond, and 100 someday. This is lots of fun and I get to spend a lot of time with my horse, especially WITHOUT the snobbiness that shows up when people start getting into the show ring. I know that at the end of the day-I am as tired as my horse, so getting myself in shape is very important. I just have to remember to treat myself as well as I treat my horse. Condition with long, SLOW, distance.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:26

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

good friday morning friends!!

what supliments am i taking....

daily vitamin, with dinner, thats all....i am currently looking for another brand. the one i am taking now is not available anymore. any suggestions??

ellie--i really need to try out a yoga class. you are inspiring me. i don't think i want to give up my step class, but yoga is sounding good.

eight--WOW 6 kids, you are a regular ole brady bunch!!!

lissette--micro pork rinds?? where do you find these. they are really better than the pre packaged stuff?? the ones i get are not greesy, just really puffy and crunchy.do you really want wet stuff?? i can send you some rain, i think my feet are starting to form webs!!!

hi blu and robin, it has been a few days!!

good luck with your hair dawn. send us a picture when you are done!! i am always looking for new ideas. i need to get a trim soon, i hate it hanging in my eyes!!

bawdy---please please please, can i have the trickle fairy now?!?!?!?!?

i was looking back on my fitday for the week and noticed i was quite high on calories this week. i think i will try to pay attention to that next week. i need to find some low-cal, low-carb snacks!! seems like the stuff i like to snack on that is low-carb is also high calories. anybody who wants, feel free to look at my fitday and i welcome suggestions.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by acipenser
bawdy---please please please, can i have the trickle fairy now?!?!?!?!?

Sorry, but no. She's sticking with me for a while! If you remember, I had to get down on my knees and beg and plead and even threaten the Whoosh Fairy with bodily harm. She reluctantly sent her sister, the Trickle Fairy. I'm not giving her up any time soon!

As for the supplements discussion . . . is Irish whiskey considered a supplement (to anyone other than me and Rob, that is!)

#12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:03

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Good morning! Except for a bad sinus headache that I have had since yesterday I am feeling good! I am wearing my size 10 Tommy stretch jeans with a Tommy shirt that just one week ago I refused to wear because I could see a bra back roll. I am feeling lean and so comfortable in my clothes! I am also a bit angry at myself for letting some weight creep back on after I worked so hard to get it off. I would estimate without the help of the scale that I have lost about 5 pounds during my two week induction. I think I will stick with it for awhile. Took a night off last night from exercise but will be back in the gym tonight. Hopefully this headache will ease by then.

I don't remember if I told you all that I am going to Las Vegas again, the 8,9,10,& 11 of March! DH is going for training and is staying at the MGM Grand! Couldn't pass that one up

Yesterday's Menu

B - 2 eggs scrambled, 1 TBS picante sauce, 2.5 oz ham, 3 cups coffee w/H&H splenda

L - 7-8 chili lime wings, 2 TBS LC bbq sauce, 1.5 cups mixed salad greens, 2 TBS ceasar vinegrette

S - 1/2 oz hot & spicy peanuts (caved in a moment of weakness), 6 pork rinds w/2 TBS onion dip

D - large salad (iceberg lettuce 2 cups, 6 oz leftover rotiserre chicken mostly breast meat, 1 TSP almond accents, 4 TBS light ranch dressing)

Dessert - other half of the 3 minute chocolate cake w/whipped cream....very good cold!

CONGRATS TO ALL OUR LOSERS!!!!

Orang - You will be at your goal before you know it Glad you are feeling better.

Dawn - Confession........I take no supplements. I know I should but I am one of those people that get very ill from taking vitamins. I have tried all kinds and most make me very nausiated. I was taking a generic form of Centrium Silver and I am going to try to be better about taking it along with a calcium supplement. Good luck with your hair

8 - 6 Kids? God bless you! We are going to see Passion when the crowds thin out a bit.

BTW, there is an excellent review on this movie on the darkside, JamesR wrote it on the PG......it moved me so much I printed it out and passed it around work. I can post the link if your interested.

Bawdy - WTG!!!!

Michele - If you are interested in Yoga, pick up a video that way you don't have to give up your class but can do it in addition to it. I would recommend Yoga for Dummies, I bought it myself and is supoosed to be one of the best beginner tapes out there.

Blu- If you are looking to increase calories without increasing carbs that is an easy one! Most meats are 0 carbs, just select meats with higher fat/calories. Examples : Dark meat poultry with the skin (wings, thighs, legs), 75% ground beef, fattier cuts of beef and pork. Fullfat cheeses will work too but have a little more carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:21

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

"Blu- If you are looking to increase calories without increasing carbs that is an easy one! Most meats are 0 carbs, just select meats with higher fat/calories. Examples : Dark meat poultry with the skin (wings, thighs, legs), 75% ground beef, fattier cuts of beef and pork. Fullfat cheeses will work too but have a little more carbs."

That's a great suggestion but not very easy for me. I really can't see anyone eating 15 oz of Chicken, leg (drumstick and thigh) to get the 1000 calories more they need besides their already planned menu. It would put the % of fats and proteins way over the percentages required per day off.

Thanks for the idea.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Last edited by smoothblu : Fri, Feb-27-04 at 13:29.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:53

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Blu - What about salad dressing? When I was trying to cut calories I used fitday and realized that 4-600 calories were coming from salad dressings. Most dressings (oil based or mayo based) have 150-200 calories per 2 TBS and I always use much more than that.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:30

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Blu--take a peek at my fitday. i have been over 2000 calories a lot.

Quote:
It would put the % of fats and proteins way over the percentages required per day off.

what percentages are you shooting for? and how many carbs are you trying to stay under? if you are trying to increase protein and nothing else it will be hard. most protein sources also contain fats.

also, i took a peek in your journal and didn't see any posted meals. is your fitday account public? maybe posting some menus could let us give you suggestions on things to add.