Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Extreme Makeover

Does anyone know what diet the provide for the people on Extreme Makeover? Last night I caught a glimpse of one of thier plates. It appeared to be spinach and water? Does antone know of an all green diet or something?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:29

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

The do the Michael Thurmond 6 week makeover. It does drop weight quickly, but has a fairly low tolerance rate for the long term. I tried it a year ago and lost 20 lbs very quickly (about 8 weeks I think) but watched their forum for posters just dropping out like flies. It's basically a moderate protein, moderate carb, ZERO added fat, ZERO added salt, ZERO added sugar diet. With the zero fat and salt it may possibly be the blandest WOE you have ever encountered.

I lasted about 9 weeks then my body began screaming for relief.

Not once since I began Atkins have I craved anything very much. It's the tastiest food I've eaten for years. I'm losing more slowly but I could eat like this forever
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:31

BF:

The other thing was, it's expensive. The program runs to about $120 min and the food is expensive. All the chicken etc has to have no added salt solutions etc so you pretty much have to go organic to succeed. Even a hint of sodium seems to stall you dead in your tracks.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 12:10

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Kimberly, I know that you are struggling right now and that this regimen must seem very tempting. I really think, though, that it would help you to think this through. How long could you eat food like unsalted chicken breast and spinach with no added fat or seasonings? And then what would happen when you quit and went back to eating a different way?

I know you have low-carbed once before and gained the weight back. I assume you did that by returning to your previous eating habits. If you have tried several diets over the years, losing weight may prove difficult for you.

It seems to me that you really, really want your body to change, a sentiment that most of us here certainly understand; looking a little deeper might prove beneficial to you, though.

Why do you want to lose weight? Why is it important that you do so quickly? Is a fast but temporary weight loss worth the possible harm to your body? Is it worth the extra work you would have to put into it the next time around? Because unless you make permanent changes, there will be a next time. I apologize if this sounds a bit too new-agey, but you don’t have to love your body to love yourself. Loving yourself, though, should translate to respecting your body enough to give it healthy food and sufficient exercise.

I hope this doesn’t sound too preachy. It’s just that I’ve been reading your threads and am worried about you. Maybe you should start a journal here; it really helps to have a place to go, a place of your own.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:33

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I saw the first episode. He had them eating many small meals a day. One was egg whites and asparagus. One was a small portion of fish. The fellow got a stuffed pepper and chicken breast. It looked low carb, but really bland.

Like another poster said, the problem is that you might lose weight quickly, but you will probably hate what you are eating. It was evident by listening to the folks on Makeover that they were hating their food within a few weeks, and were craving "illegal" stuff. That doesn't seem to me to be something sustainable. I'd go with the slower but more sustainable WOE rather than a 'quick fix' that will cause you to gain weight as soon as you get sick of eating that way.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:41

BF:

The Michael Thurmond folks get to eat the induction veggies we do in unlimited quantities. 6 small meals a day comprising 2 oz meat, unlimited induction style veggies and at 2 meals per day, complex carbs like 1/2 cup potato, oatmeal, rice and so on.

No processed carbs, no anything made from flours of any kind.

When I did it I was tied to the house for 8 weeks. All I ever seemed to do was cook, prepare and wash up. They say do all your cooking on the weekends but with a family of 9 that just doesn't work.

It was bland and unworkable for me. But successful if you could stick it out? Yes....very.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:04

BF:

I am worried about me too honestly. I feel summer creeping around and here I am fat again. I ate freely because I thought I could lose it again quickly. I know that was dumb and I will respect my body forevermore and never do that again. And I have prayed so to God. I just want to lose the weight and never abuse it again.
I just got back from the health food store and bought some stevia. I saw a product there that cleanses for candida. Would this be a good idea? It's one thing I haven't tried.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:13

BF:

It probably couldn't hurt but I have to warn you that clearing your system of candida overgrowth is not a fast process. It can take some time and one must be patient to see results in weightloss.

You currently seem anxious and impatient. I know you want this quickly but the chances are that is not going to happen. Try instead to focus on what is happening positively with your health from this WOE.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:10

BF:

You are absolutly right. Thank you so much, Kimberly
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:34

BF:

#11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 06:38

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Exercise helps me so much. I lost alot with it and it makes me feel so great. I walk everywhere, take the stairs up and down, (15 flights at work everyday). It's was hard to get into a routine at first but now I feel like a caged animal if I don't do it. I don't go to the gym or do tapes in front of the TV, I just get outside and move. Maybe you can speed things like this, I know it works for me.