Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 23:57

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Question chicken broth suggestions?

Hey,
so i remember rdg in atkins that chicken broth was an ok food and lots of people have said its good when you're sick-- i wanted to try making some low carb soups with it, but i'm not sure what brand/kind to get. Any suggestions? I saw cambell's chicken broth but it seemed to have a lot of sodium and wasn't as low carb as I was expecting....is there anything better to use? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 00:04
46 Reasons!

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 279/266/258 Female 5'7"
BF:more than enough
Progress: 62%

I would suggest chicken broth in packets, or possibly a boullion cube?? I have chicken broth packets by Herbox that states less than 1 gram of carbs per packet. I count it at .5. I hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 00:51
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I have chicken broth in a can. the name brand is "college inn" it says zero carbs, but 780 sodium. they may have a lower sodium version, not sure.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 02:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think Imagine Chicken Broth is the best stuff out there. It tastes REAL, like a home made broth.

http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/p...roth/broth.html

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 03:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I use Shelton's Low-Sodium Chicken Broth. The only things it contains are Chicken Broth and some seasonings. No Salt, No MSG, No Sugar, No Trans-Fat. You can also make your own by boiling Chicken in Water. One nice Soup is:

2 cans Chicken Broth
12 fl. oz. Water
8g Olive Oil
240g Cooked Light Meat Chicken
60g Keto Spaghetti
20g Darielle Fusilli Pasta
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Lite Salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Xanathan Gum
80g Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese

Pour the Chicken Broth and Chicken into a pot [on the stove] and cook at medium, stirring constantly. After the Broth begins to turn color, add the Water, Olive Oil, Pastas, and Seasonings. Continue stirring until the Pasta reaches desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in Xanathan Gum. Add Cheese and eat.

Makes 2 large servings.

#6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 05:00
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I make boneless/skinless chicken breasts in a steamer several time a week, and usually steam them with seasoning and vegetables. The steamer has a catch pan that fills with condensed steam and drippings - and is the most wonderful chicken broth. I just pour it into a storage container instead of down the drain. Makes a lovely broth.

I track calories, and I count my broth as calorie free since I already counted the chicken and veggies when I had them the first time.

Lynda
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 05:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Swansons has chicken broth that is fairly low in carbs (<1 gram per cup). They also have a lower sodium version. Read labels! Often stores have their own versions of canned chicken broth that is a lot cheaper than the national brands and often just as good (if not better!).
Making your own chicken broth is a snap, though. Just save the wings, necks and backs from cutting up chicken or packs with pieces that you don't usually eat and put them in a bag in the freezer. When the bag is full, dump it into a pot with some water, salt, pepper, garlic (whatever seasonings you fancy) a few veggies (carrot, celery, onion) and leave it to simmer on the stove for a few hours. Strain the broth through a colander, throw away the veggies and store the broth.
My basic cream soup base is 3 cups of chicken broth to 1 cup of cream; add whatever cheese, veggies and meat you like and voila! Soup!
If you like it thicker you can use guar or xanthan gum to thicken it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 06:43

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Most basic cookbooks will have a recipe for chicken broth. Homemade is sooo much better than canned, in taste & nutrition. If you can find free-range chicken, even better. A lot of the larger grocery stores carry whole free-range chickens in the frozen area by the whole turkeys if you don't see it in the regular chicken area. I buy mine from a local farm. Dad says they taste like chickens used to taste (when his dad killed them in the backyard)

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:52

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:

Both chicken and beef broth are easy to make at home.

Just cook a whole chicken, or a nice pot roast, in your crock pot, then you have a great source for meals for a few days, plus a nice pot of broth for use in making other foods, like green chili or beef bourgonion?.

That is if you are not using it for basic broth to feed some person with a cold or a fever.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have sheltons broth, it has no added salt. It tastes nasty on it's own though but is great in cooking.

Making your own really is best. The boulion cubes have aton of sodium as well as transfats. Many brothes, even low sodium ones, can have 25% of your daily sodium intake per serving.

I made a great broth the other night as a base for a soup. I picked up beef marrow bones as well as some pork neck bones. I added some left over lamb bones, then let the whole thing simmer in a gient stock pot on the stove over night. It turned out great and I saved some in the freezer for the next time I make soup.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:25

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:

wow, thanks guys for all the good tips! I'm so glad I asked.... as i don't really know much about cooking meat (used to be vegetarian, and i'm a college student), i prob won't make my own broth but I'll look around the grocery store for some of the other companies-- i should be able to find them at the local stop and shop or shaws, right?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:33
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I know that a couple of Shaw's groceries in northern New Hampshire carry the Imagine brand of soups.

kay
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:40
Cast Iron Chef

Plan: lc, higher protein
Stats: 170/132/127 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

If you're within reach of a Trader Joe's (there are 5 or so in SW CT), get their house brand. It's pretty good, organic/free range, and cheaper than Imagine or Pacific (my other two choices).

Mil
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I like Knorr's chicken broth and buy it as a powder in a jar. 1 tsp. makes 1 cup, with 1g. carb, according to the label. I really like to make egg drop soup with it. Delish!