Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 18:08

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Very-Low-Calorie Diet Controls Teens' Diabetes

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...tes_calories_dc

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A high-protein, low-carb, very-low-calorie diet is effective short-term treatment for obese adolescents with type 2 diabetes, according to a new study.

The rate of type 2 diabetes has risen exponentially among adolescents, Dr. Steven M. Willi and colleagues from the Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, point out in the medical journal Diabetes Care, but there are few studies comparing the relative merits of diet, exercise, insulin, and other drug therapies in treating such patients.

The team evaluated the ability of a ketogenic, very-low-calorie diet to reduce weight, reduce high blood sugar levels, and decrease the dependence on anti-diabetes medications in 20 obese teens -- 5 males and 15 females -- with type 2 diabetes.

The diet consisted of about 100 grams of protein and less than 30 grams each of fat and carbohydrates per day, which delivered between 680 and 800 calories. That translates to approximately 13 ounces of lean meat and 3 cups of vegetables. The participants also needed to take in 8 cups of fluid and supplemental salt daily.

Mean daily blood glucose levels fell from 162 to 100 mg/dL within three days of beginning the diet, and all but one teen managed to discontinue all antidiabetic therapy.

After voluntarily stopping the diet after an average of 60 days, participants' average weight loss was 25 pounds (9.3 percent of total body weight), the researchers report.

In fact, the average body weight was still significantly reduced two years later. This amounted to a 5.4 percent reduction, compared with a 3.7 percent increase in an age-matched control group.

Average blood pressure also fell during the diet, and none of the patients experienced side effects such as nausea and cramps reported in previous trials of the diet in youngsters, Willi's team found.

The investigators call for further studies, but conclude that "the very-low-calorie diet has the potential to improve diabetes control over the short term and perhaps empower diabetic individuals over the long term."

700-800 calories a day? Gee I wonder why they "voluntarily" stopped the diet! I'm just amazed that the average amount of time they stayed on was 60 days!!!! Very persistent group of kids, I'd say!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

One obvious question: why both ketogenic *and* low calorie?! Why didn't they just let them have a little more of everything to get their calories up?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:46
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Why attribute it to low calorie? Why not low carb? I suspect the test was rigged with low calorie to ensure that finding.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:18

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%

Low carb and low calorie...sounds like medieval torture to me! The funny part is that eating the extra protein and fat revs up the fat burning, but the low calories turns on the starvation button! Sounds like someones not doing their research! I don't think this approach will work in the long term....I hear a metabolic crash coming in the distance!

60 days!....arghhhhhh.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:32
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Optifast

This is an awful lot like doing Optifast, which was popular in the 1980's. I did Optifast briefly myself, and it was powerful in the short term. The protein does curb the hunger to a certain extent.

The problem for me was refeeding. I kept the weight I lost off for two years, which is good, but rebounded after that.

I think that doing Atkins is much better because of less deprivation overall. I would guess that similar results could have been obtained with more fat and more exercise.

Very low calories have been shown to extend longevity in other studies on primates as well, but I don't think it is a happy way to live.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 01:59

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:

I suppose that since these teens were obese, the experimenters felt it necessary to reduce calories for ultrafast weight loss. Probably a mistake though, regardless of your position on fat/carb issues, its generally agreed that "crash" diets are not a good way to go. A sensible lowcarb plan, Atkins, Dr Bernstein's (since they are diabetic) or PP., would have controlled blood glucose levels, led to gradual weight loss, and been a sustainable WOE. I don't know what they proved with this study, but at least it was better to read than the usual lowfat drivel. Bill
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:02

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3

One of the biggest things to think about, to me anyway, when starting a diet or meal plan, is to make it palatable. Personally, that's one of the main things I like about LC.

This was simply an experiment to see if kids could starve themselves and loose weight! In the short term, yep they lost. But if they checked back with these kids 6 months later, how many would be continuing it? Oh I forgot, they all quit after 2 months. OK.....so how many have kept off that weight loss?

You have to wonder also, with these low calorie counts, what happened to their school work during this time?