Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/239/155 Female 5 foot 9 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Do you need Soothing?

Does anyone else feel the need to be "soothed" on a daily basis? I tend to use things to sooth myself. It used to be when I felt the need, I would eat something and it would make me feel....calm, for lack of a better word. Well, I soothed myself right up to 350 pounds. So now that food isn't supposed to be an option, I spend money to sooth myself.

I don't really understand this. It's not like I lead a stressful life but rather then be able to find some inner peace, I seem to use things outside myself to get the job done.

Anyone else experience this? If so, were you able to "re-route" what you used to something a bit less destructive then overeating and overspending? I exercise now, but it doesn't quite do the same job as eating and spending does.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:42

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi...I am very similar when it comes to this. I used to come home from work and think 'what a crazy day....I deserve some chocolate' or 'I deserve some pizza...it will make me feel less stressed!' So I can totally relate to what you are describing...when you write about soothing yourself. My life wasn't crazy stressful either, but I found that I needed to find comfort in something and food was my favorite choice. I have heard that a lot of people can fill this void with exercise...well, I exercise for 1 to 2 hours a day and it hasn't filled this for me. But don't get down...I have lots of good suggestions that I use now.

At night when I would typically want a snack or treat I do a couple of things that I didn't do before my lc life started...I make myself caffeine free herbal tea and then I get into a super hot relaxing bath...complete with bubbles. In the summer I make that an ice water with just a squeeze of lemon. Or I do my nails, toes, etc. I try to do something for myself that keeps me out of the kitchen...another thing I do is get on the forum. I am so distracted by all the great threads/ideas/recipes that I find it soothing to just read and read and before I know it my cravings are gone.

Good Luck! You'll probably find your own, better substitutes-- keep me posted. The urge to soothe yourself with food will pass...you just have to let it.
Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:44

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

First, keep on exercising. It may not comfort you as much mentally, but physically, it actually helps your body complete the "fight or flight" instinct and lower stress hormones.

Secondly, it's a stressful world we live in. I think everyone needs pampered; we just have to find healthier ways to do it. Here are some of my faves, not in any particular order.

1. Pet and/or play with my kitties.
2. Watch my fish. An aquarium can be a peaceful little world that is amazingly easy to get lost in if you let yourself.
3. Warm shower or bath. Yes, they're practical, but next time you're in the shower, feel how soothing the water is.
4. A really, really nice cup of tea. I went to some lengths to get some British tea shipped to me, and let me tell you, it is WONDERFUL. And on Atkins, I can have it with real cream.
5. Reading. I rarely have the time, but nothing compares to cozying up with a good book.

I'm sure there are other things I do, but I can't think of them right now. Hopefully, these will be food for thought for you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:09
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Finding a non-food or spending "reward" isn't always easy... I like a repetitive activity like I'm considering taking up knitting or latch hooking again. Something to keep my hands occupied so snacking isn't an option.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:09

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%
Default I need soothing all the time!

I found that when I started taking care of my inside, I wanted to take care of my outside, too. So now I fix my nails, and pluck my eyebrows. I buy skin creams and smooth them on. I give myself facials. A girlfriend said it is like watching someone gain weight and let themselves go, but in reverse. That's how I soothe myself now.
I also shop on-line for the new clothes I'll get when I'm at goal!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 19:20

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I also like to soothe myself. And it's a good thing me thinks - keeps the cortisol levels in check.

I like hot baths, trashy romances, playing with my cats, taking a walk, writing a real letter to a friend, a hot cuppa tea with cream, and journaling.

It beats the heck out of pizza!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For me, my nightly cup of sweetened tea helps me unwind. Sometimes if I'm in a sweeter mood, I'll have some diet swiss miss.

If I have a little time, I may crochet, knit, or cross stitch. Many nights though I'm tired enough I'll just snuggle down in a blanket to watch a movie, or play a video game.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:53

Stats: 350/239/155 Female 5 foot 9 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks! All good ideas! I like good tea as well. I'm certainly going to investigate these noneating/nonspending ways of treating myself.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 00:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have had many stressful days, in the past, where I soothed myself by reading the daily news. I know I am weird. But ending the day with a good study ( yes, I said study ) of the newspaper and a cup of coffee-kids in their room. It is funny when I think of those days. The ideal paper-read was when the weather was warm and sunny and I could sit ourside, under a tree with the paper and my coffee.

Reading is still soothing for me. My ideal reading session is on a day when I do not have to get dressed. I could easlily stay in my jammies all day, sometimes. I use Sunday as my "soothing day". I might go to the mall and sit, go to Barnes and Noble ( I am turning into my father ) while the kids walk around. What is so bad is I am such a slow reader. I always plan to read a specific book over the summer. Two years ago I read about the Hair of Beethoven. It is an interesting, earthly "trek " of a dead man. I know how Beethoven died and how Jews played an important role in preserving his DNA, without knowing it.

Oh, something else that soothes me are movies that most people find to be boring. I love to watch movies like Contact, Regarding Henry and others that I cannot name.

I will stop writing now before someone runs away from their computer screaming.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 05:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just need my morning cup of tea and I'm fine.

Last edited by RD64 : Thu, Feb-26-04 at 06:13.