Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:08

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default too much sodium

Hey guys,
I'm almost at my week four of 20 grams of carbs and I feel really good. My energy has heightened and I've learned theres much out there I can really eat, not just hamburger meat and chicken. Well, here is my deal. In the past I guess I never really worried too much about my sodium intake and I didnt realize that now, I really need to start looking at sodium labels! (I've started now and will continue!) Well, I've been exercising and eating properly YET last night and this morning I weighed myself and I was up 3 pounds! I was like AHHH! What is going on!?! I was very much freaking out. Well, I remember reading in posts how many people can gain weight from retaining water from too much sodium intake. I've been thinking about it and YES I have been eating too much sodium. Last night, (I THINK THIS REALLY DID IT!) I had shrimp pan-fried in butter and SOY SAUCE. I know I used alot of the soy sauce, so I'm thinking this contributed to the gain. I've been drinking TONS of water in the past and of course today so I can hope to flush it out. Do you think this is why I've gained weight? I'm a lil worried that I'm doing something wrong and getting SCARED with what I'm seeing on the scale. =( And another question, how much sodium can I really eat (Cause its soo hard to go sodium-free) in order to not affect my weight or make me bloated. Basically I guess, whats a healthy level that some of you eat in one day? And I know, the less the better, but realistically an estimated amount? (this might be a dumb question) Thanks everyone.
Brittany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

Sodium is a real killer for me too. I have my sodium goal set at no more than 2000 mg per day on my fitday account. I don't think I pulled that figure out of the air....I think I may have read about daily intake somewhere. Good luck to you. I know how soy affects me!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:11

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Sodium kills me also because it is in HOT SAUCE and I put it on everything!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 16:30

Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

I buy these smoked turkey legs at Kroger and they're great but the sodium in one whole leg is astronomical. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I eat them even though they don't have any carbs. I usually notice the next morning, but it doesn't take long to go away, just drink water 'till your eyeballs are floating
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:07

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

I'm the same way with sodium. I love soy sauce, but I can get so bloated from it my hands literally swell up. One suggestion, (I'm not sure how much sodium a person should have) is to buy low sodium soy sauce...it has the same carb count. I try to always buy low sodium chicken broth too. There are certain foods that come with lower sodium and does not affect the carb count.
Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:17

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Brittany,

It may not be the salt in the soy sauce as the amount of carbs in the soy sauce. While a serving of soy sauce will not have much carbs, a whole lot like you used can add up to a lot of carbs for someone on inductionl.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 00:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have been using Morton Lite salt on my food. It doesn't taste artificial and it is made from potassium. Protein Power recommends it. But, it could be the sodium from other sources that is screwing me up also
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:40

BF:

Black- Yes, I too found "No-Salt", a salt alternative made with potassium. It has a lil different taste to it, but it sure beats no salt at all.
Dodger- Well, I'm still pretty restrictive on my carbs and I know definitly, without a doubt that even with the abundance of serving size I used I'm still under/at the 20 gram mark. So it makes it even more confusing! But dont worry, I poured that entire bottle out in the drain as I will just have to find a low-sodium version of the soy sauce, like you recommended, jennabrams, instead if I ever want to use soy sauce again and use ONE serving.

I also have been in ketosis non-stop for the entire four weeks I've been on Atkins. If this is the case, do you guys think its really impossible that I'm gaining ACTUAL weight and that its not just from the sodium I've been consuming? I mean I know we stall while in ketosis for different reasons, but is it possible to gain weight (not TOM or sodium related) while in ketosis?

P.S.- I know some of you might say it might be muscle gain if I work out, which I do. Yet I've been working out for quite sometime and I really dont notice much of a weight gain from the muscle...or if muscle weight gain does happen for me...it happens over a long period of time for me (as far as noticing it on the scale)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:46

BF:

P.S.S.- Oh, forgot to mention. I did lose about 2 lbs of the 3 (those 2 must have been sodium) when I weighed this morning. But I'm still up 1 lb. That 1 lb for me really bothers me as I'd really like to be losing at least 1 lb for this week as I feel I've been working on my diet and exericising so much! (Guess I'm just very impatient) I feel at least I should be at the SAME weight, no more
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:41

BF:

Hey everyone,
Well as of this morning (maybe the extra hard exercise contributed to it) but not only did I lose that lb I also lost an extra lb. Guess its all about patience and not freaking myself out over the scale! Thanks for everyone's advice but I guess when it comes down to it, this diet really truly is working for me even when the scale is wacko. Guess I tend to draw to conclusions too fast. Thanks to those people who calmed me down and showed me the light. I appreciate it =)