Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: If you count calories, do you spread them throughout the day, trying to balance each
Yes, I count calories and I try to distribute them evenly throughout the day in meals and/or snacks. 11 20.75%
Yes, I count calories, but I just total them for the day, not worrying about how many at each meal or snack. 17 32.08%
I don’t pay any attention to calories. 25 47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 12:49

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%
Default If you count calories….

If you count calories, do you spread them throughout the day, trying to balance each meal and/or snack?

Also, if you want to comment, do you think you lose weight faster or more steadily if you spread the calories throughout the day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:13
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 301/260/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy

I didn't start counting calories until recently when I purchased Fitday PC and discovered that I wasn't getting any where near my BMR. I am worried about going into starvation mode so I have upped them and since then I have been battling the same 1.5lbs for 9 days. I hope that things will resume soon or I will probably become a basket case. I *think* that I read somewhere on this forum that people with a lot of weight to lose don't really need to worry about too little calories or starvation mode.. is this true?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:00
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I distribute them through the day, but not exactly evenly. Dinner is larger than breakfast and lunch, but I do watch to make sure that things are spread out in general.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchPizza
I *think* that I read somewhere on this forum that people with a lot of weight to lose don't really need to worry about too little calories or starvation mode.. is this true?

There have been discussions about this. I think members of the TDC won't go into starvation mode unless you are below 1000 to 1200 or so. There are differing opinions on the exact number with some folks thinking it's 700-900 or so. I would find it hard to eat that few of calories.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:34

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I have just recently started counting calories because my weight loss had slowed a lot so I started tracking the calories, fat, protein, and carbs that I was taking in to make sure I hadn't gotten too loosey goosey with stuff. It helped me see where my portions had gotten a little off. Also made me realize how many "little" snacks I was having and how fast they can add up
I do try to spread my calories and carb intake throughout the day. For me, having the majority of my carbs and calories at one time does not work.
Marie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 16:39
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I try to stay at around 1500 calories which does not leave me hungry at all. I don't consciously spread them around and I always eat 3 meals a day, rarely any snacks. I found that my weight loss stabilized very much when I started using fitday -- I am loathe to record all sorts of junk so I just don't eat it! I too think my portions got a little off - that happens sooooo easily!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 18:05
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
There have been discussions about this. I think members of the TDC won't go into starvation mode unless you are below 1000 to 1200 or so. There are differing opinions on the exact number with some folks thinking it's 700-900 or so. I would find it hard to eat that few of calories.

I have the reverse problem I have to force my calories up lol I don't eat red meats or pork (which add up calories pretty quick) and I love my veggies without anything on them
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:55

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

I don't count total calories for the day, but I limit myself to no more than 200 calories after dinner in order to keep from nibbling all evening. I try only to eat after 6:00 o'clock if I am actually feeling hungry.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 00:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298.2/216.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:definately....
Progress: 55%

I count carbs -- or at least, I sort of count them. I know I am still keeping them below 20 or 25 each day. Other than that, I eat if I'm hungry, and don't measure or weigh what I eat, so it would be difficult to count calaries. As long as I'm losing weight -- however slowly -- I don't think I'll start dounting them. (Even the carbs are often a guess, but I think I'm pretty close.)

Marie H
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, I try to avoid binging at a meal, or eating meals that are too large because I find I will eat less if I eat several smaller meals instead of 3 large ones.

However I mainly focus on total caloric intake since that is what is important.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:58

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

G'day!

I use fitday just to see where I am at each day, and since I don't weigh my food it is just a close approximation. I basically just eat if I am hungry, and try not to stuff myself when I do eat.

I think the fitday is good, because you can really see where you maybe had too much to eat, or too many calories in a day.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:29
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

'Yes, I count calories, but I just total them for the day, not worrying about how many at each meal or snack'

I use fitday - it counts them - I have to concentrate to ensure that I have enough calories in a day! I don't distribute them but that is an idea I should maybe persue.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I count calories to try and stop me from eating too much. I can easily eat 2500+ calories a day. In the beginning (the first 30 pounds or so) I could eat any amount and still lose, but now I don't think I lose unless I'm under 1500 calories. Really sucks because then I'm hungry.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I count calories and try my best to stay at or under 1200, but it isn't easy. Lunch is my lightest meal.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 07:26

Plan: moderate low carb
Stats: 263/183/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

I count everything with fitday-- about 1700 cals, 60% fat. 15% carb, 25% protein-- I eat about 1000 in the morning to lunch. Sometimes I have a small snack or 2. I don't eat carbs without something else. I eat "good carbs".