Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:19

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%
Talking AJ's Work in Progress

Finally starting a gym log after my first 10 weeks of serious workouts.

My routine is as follows:
20 minutes + 5 minutes cooldown on the elliptical, either level 10 Personal Trainer X-Training program or level 8 Random program.
30 minutes weight training
5 minutes abs

I alternate upper body and lower body so that on Monday I do my cardio plus upper body then abs, Tuesday I do cardio, lower body and abs, Wednesday is cardio only so I do 30-45 minutes straight cardio, then abs, then I repeat upper body routine Thursday and lower body on Friday.

I am trying to incorporate some of the Body for Life program into my workout but don't have the book yet. I am doing Atkins WOL with my exercise routine. I have only lost 10 pounds in the last almost 3 months, but I can feel my shape changing so I'm certain that I've lost many inches - I get a re-evaluation at the gym in about 3 weeks and I will be able to check my progress.

The Body for Life elements I have adopted are the pyramid-style weight workouts - that is I start my first set at a lower weight, higher reps (about 12-15 reps) then increase to higher weight 10 reps then higher again, 6-8 reps - then go backwards and reverse the order so finish with the lighter weight, 12-15 reps. I really feel the difference today after doing this.

My goals are to lose about 50-75 more pounds but the scales aren't that important - I LOVE working out and my main goal is to transform myself into a very fit body, and while doing this I plan on getting my personal trainer certification as well as take some nutrition courses so that when the transformation is complete, I can help others. I plan on starting my own business...and that is where I will be approx. 1 year from now!

Until next time...
Laura
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:21

Great workout again today.
Did 20 minutes plus 5 min. cooldown on the elliptical using the interval method - started at level 5, then increased it to 6, 7, 8, 9 one level every minute, then started again but at 6 and each minute for 5 minutes up to level 10, then started at 7 - 11, then 8 - 12 - that took my 20 minutes and after the 5 min. cooldown I had burned 365 calories and 2.3 miles - excellent workout.

Then I did my lower body - had a doctor appt. so couldn't spend much time with weights, but I did the lying-down on belly one where you raise your legs starting with 15 reps then increased the weight then 10 reps then increased the weight then I could only do 5 reps, then I reversed so I finished with 12 reps of the lightest. Did the same with the leg extension, then did 3 sets of the one where you sit, lean forward and spread your knees out - increased weight each time, and every 3 reps I held for a count of 10.

Feel great, but my blood pressure is up and my doc wants to keep an eye on it.

Gotta run - I'll report in on Monday.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:41

Great workout this morning - did the intervals on the elliptical again but started at level 6 this time and worked up to 13 - felt great. Started taking a thermogenic and also CLA - maybe these gave me the energy boost because I was just motoring.

Did upper body today - pec deck, seated row, biceps and triceps, then my abs for 5 minutes - followed the pyramid as I did last workout. I think this new way of working out is going to be really effective for me. I feel a difference in my clothes in the past week or so.

I'll be back tomorrow!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 16:28

Yesterday was lower body, and I did the intervals starting at 6 first on the elliptical, then I did the lunge walk but this time I added some weights. I did the first length without, then 5 pounds in each hand (12 steps), then 8 (my knee gave out on one of the lunges with the 8 - could only do 10 steps) and then 10 (10 steps) then I did one more length of the gym (about 15 steps) without any weight. I hardly had any time left so I just did the leg extension and the sitting leg press - worked up to 155 lbs. on the leg press, did 5 sets as I increased weight then finished with the lighter weight, then moved immediately to the leg extension and did 4 sets, increasing weight but reducing reps. Was exhausted when I finished...

Today was great too. I did cardio only today, so I did 20 minutes + 5 cooldown on the elliptical (380 calories) then did 20 + 5 on the treadmill, going between 3.5 and 4 mph at a 4.5 incline for the last 15 minutes. That burned 200 calories, so it was a good workout. Then did my abs for 5 minutes and was absolutely drenched with sweat by the time I finished my workout. Yikes. Felt great afterwards though!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 15:09
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

well get the dust mop out and get the place ready for a new challenge
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:57

OK, here I am - I was supposed to start my full-fledged BFL challenge today, because I had a personal training session scheduled on Saturday with the BEST trainer at my gym - and she got sick on Friday and had to cancel. I really only needed her to help set up the program, but now I have to wait for my session until Feb. 28. So until then, I've changed my workout to be as close to BFL without hurting myself - using equipment that I know. I'll officially start in 2 weeks but have a trial 2-week period - keep track of what I do and show my trainer so it can be modified however she sees necessary.

Started today with a 5 minute warmup on the elliptical at full speed.

Today was lower body, and I did the lunge walk - 20 steps with no dumbells, then 15 steps with 5 lbs each hand, then 12 steps with 8 lbs each hand, then 10 steps with 10 lbs each hand, then 15 steps with 8 lbs each hand. Went directly to leg extension and did 12 reps on the 3rd level (don't know how much weight that is).

Next I did the seated leg curls - didn't increase weights for this one - did one leg at a time at 45 lbs - 3 sets of 15 for each leg. It was a killer...

Moved to the seated leg press. Did the first set of 15 at 75 lbs, then 12 at 95, then 10 at 105, then 8 at 135 then 6 at 155 then 6 at 175 then back to 155 for 25 reps, because I didn't know what exercise to use for the superset so just did this one to exhaustion.

Finished legs with standing calf raises - 3 sets of 15. Haven't worked my calves much but gave it a try on Saturday and decided to add to my program. I hurt like hell on Sunday and I anticipate even more calf pain tomorrow!

Finished my workout with abs - 20 crunches, 10 each side crunches and 20 leg lifts as a superset, then rest 1 minute, then repeat for 3 total sets.

Felt great after my workout. Tomorrow will be cardio only - I'll do the HIIT on the elliptical for the first 20 minutes and then I'll do another 20 minutes on the bike at a medium intensity.

So far I'm loving this - my goal is to lose 15 pounds in the 12 weeks. But as Mischa has warned me, the scales will prove less than the tape measure, so a good loss of inches will satisfy...I have my starting pic - took it on Saturday. I'm in my underwear though so I won't be able to publish it anywhere ha ha. But I look pretty close to a couple of the before pics in the body for life book...I KNOW I will succeed!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:23

Today was cardio only so I did 20 minutes HIIT on the elliptical plus 5 minutes "cooldown" - levels decreased to reach 1 in the last minute, but I kept up the pace - burned over 400 calories in the 25 minutes - then did the bike for 25 minutes at level 6 "random" - lower intensity, but because I still need to lose so much more weight I want to keep cardio up there. I'll see how this works out the first 4 weeks.

I hurt today - my legs - hamstrings and quads - I really worked them yesterday. I fear they will be worse tomorrow but oh well! I love it - it is good pain, finally. Not like before when I did the 20 HIIT and then did a lower body workout - that was pain almost in the bones - too much for me. Looking forward to the full upper body workout tomorrow!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:57

I actually began the BFL challenge on Feb. 16, and have completed my first week. I am at 208 lbs. and was 210 when I started, but I've been bouncing up and down between 208 and 212 for a few weeks now. I am going to try to weigh myself every 2 weeks on Friday mornings and see how that goes. Of course I will start this Friday...it will be tough for me to stay away.

Workouts are going great. I hit a real high point with my cardio but it was after my HIIT - I did the elliptical for 20 minutes HIIT plus 5 cooldown, then moved to the bike for 30 minutes, and reached a real rush in the last 2 minutes - unfortunately I had to leave the gym, or else I would have kept going - could be a "runners high" - as a former smoker, this is something very new to me.

I have my personal training session this Saturday and hope to fine-tune my upper body workouts for this challenge. I will take my measurements after my first 4 weeks - I expect to see some improvement because I can already feel a difference in my legs of my jeans after just 1 week.

Still having some difficulty incorporating the BFL principles with Atkins - I have added cottage cheese (2%) and fruit (blueberries, green apples, mixed berries) to my diet for the extra carbs and protein and it seems to be OK, but I'm running out of menu ideas that fill me up but remain lo-carb - BFL allows starchy veggies like potatoes and also rice, whole-grain breads etc. but I don't want to add those - it also has a "free" day where you can eat anything and you don't work out, but again, it just goes against everything I've been doing on Atkins since July and I'm afraid I'd fall into carb cravings...I'll try to shock my body with different types of good foods but I have to stay away from carby "craving-inducing" foods.

Overall, I'm feeling awesome and just LOVE this - each day is something to look forward to.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:47

This morning I weighed 207 - I'm VERY pleased with that.

Started my workout with a 10-minute warmup on the elliptical at level 6 and worked up a good sweat.

I had a very intense workout for my lower body - did lunges for my main quads/glutes, then leg extensions one leg at a time for my 1 set x 12. I failed on 10 on my right leg but got through all 12 on my left.

Next was hamstrings - did the lying down curls and OMG it was tough - definitely a 10. Failed at the 12 on my last set. Finished with 155 lbs x 12 on the seated leg press. Should have gone 175 or even 195 on this...

Calves today too - did the raises standing on a step - 2 sets x 15 both legs together, then 1 set x 12 each leg, then 1 set x 8 each leg, then 12 again - finished with standiing with legs apart raises x 12.

Finished workout with my abs superset x 3 - felt all my energy had been used up on this workout - definitely put my all into it and then some.

Looking forward to my cardio day tomorrow - see if I can get that "rush" again!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 14:36

My stats have changed! I'm down to 205 as of Saturday and I'm oh so happy! I've had great workouts, had a fabulous session with the personal trainer on Saturday and learned some new exercises. Running low on time to write today but wanted to check in after a very successful BFL week 2.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 10:15

Down one more pound! 204 today. I am on my way to onederland and can't wait to be in the 100's for the first time in years and years and years.

A lady at the gym yesterday commented on the weight I've lost - she asked how much, because she said you could really see a difference. I swear it is the BFL workouts - they are changing my shape and converting fat to muscle - I feel so good.

Yesterday was UPW and I really pushed myself, hit a lot of 10s.

Started with Chest - did flyes, started with 5 lb x 12, then 8 lb x 10, then 10 lb x 8, then 12 lb x 6, then 10 lb x 12 - moved to seated dumbbell press 12 lb x 12

Back - Started with the seated Row - can't remember the weights but it was good, finished with the Wide Grip Pulldowns

Shoulders - Side raises then can't remember but I've written it down in my little journal I carry around

Triceps and Biceps - really killed - hit 10's on both - failed on my triceps 90 lbs x 6 - could only do 4 - did my 12 barely with 75 (this is the machine where you press down, seated) and then couldn't lift the 15 lb dumbbell I had to do the one over my head behind my back - had to get a 10 lb instead. Biceps was a bit easier, did seated curls then finished with 30 lbs on the machine x 12. Took me almost a full hour though - didn't have time for my abs workout too.

Today was cardio day - I did my 20MAS + 5 minutes on the bike - was only an 8, not a 10 today. Finished with 25 minutes on the ellyptical - burned over 500 calories between the 2 machines but felt tired today, less energetic. I'm used to starting with the elliptical and finishing with the bike, so maybe that's why. I only did level 3 on the elliptical and usually I start at 5 and work up to 13 in intervals. Oh well, change is good. Finished my workout with the abs I should have done yesterday - again, killers. 30 x crunches, straight into 10 x each side crunches, straight into 20 x leg lifts - 1 minute rest, then repeat, then 1 minute rest, then 20 x crunches, 10 x each side crunches and 20 x leg lifts. Painful 10 minutes! But the results are happening. Can't wait until I'm in week 8 or 9 and have some tangible results such as measurements and pounds lost!

LBW tomorrow - better start psyching myself up for it now!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:40

Yup, today was lower body.
8 min. on the bike - level 3, manual - warmup
started with squats - 15 x 3 sets
then plie squats - 15 x 3 sets
seated leg press - 135 lb x 12, 160 lb x 10, 175 lb x 8, 195 x 6, 175 lb x 12 then hamstring curls - can't remember weight but 12 reps
walking lunges 2 lengths of gym (approx. 16 steps) with no weight, then 2 lengths with 8 lb. in each hand and then 2 lengths of about 8 steps with 12 lb each hand then 1 length with no weight - finished with leg extension on #3 x 12- and that was it!

Exhausted today - so hungry too - only ate soup for dinner last night; probably should have had a protein drink before my workout. I didn't eat after my workout but now, at work at 10:00 I thought I was going to pass out so I had my cottage cheese with blueberries then was still sooooo hungry so I bought a big club sandwich off of the coffee truck, threw out the bread and ate the bacon, chicken breast and cheese - feel much better now. Lots of protein. Also popped 1500 mg of L-Glutamine before my workout and 1500 mg after. That's supposed to help with recovery...

Tomorrow is cardio and I'm looking forward to it!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:50

Here it is, March 25 - Thursday - and I'm almost done Week 6 in my BFL program - that's the halfway point! I'm so amazed with my transformation already. I haven't really lost much pound weight on the scales, but I have definitely lost inches - I'll measure again on the weekend, but my jeans are loose straight out of the dryer - no lunges and squats to get them up over my booty lol! I just feel so good - cardio is amazing - I'm doing 55-65 minutes on cardio day and loving it, and I've added the incline bench to my ab routine - I can only do 3 sets of 4-6 crunches, but I know I will work my way up to 3 sets of 20 or more! I have increased my crunches to 30 the first set, with 15 side crunches each side, and 30 leg lifts, and to think that when I started, I had a hard time doing 12-15 leg lifts. My second set is still 20-10-20, but I'm really pleased with my ab progress. Matt came up behind me last night and sort of tickled my side, and he was surprised because he felt muscle!

I pushed 235 pounds on the leg press for my 6 rep set twice in a row now - yahoo! And my walking lunges, I am doing full floor lengths each set with up to 12 pounds in each hand - actually did 15 each hand once. Squats are getting better too - but 15 x 3 of the two exercises - regular squats and plié squats - still knock the wind right out of me - I'm about to drop when I finish! I start with them though - get them over with while I have the most energy.

Upper body is getting better too. I'm becoming more comfortable with the free weights, and have been able to increase weights a little. Hit lots of 10s on both UB and LB - and as I said, cardio is motoring - 10+ HIIT every time.

I will update with new measurements but might wait and post before and after stats at week 8 -

this rocks!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:15

Today was upper body workout. I am really seeing a difference in my shape - and others are too. I'm getting comments at the gym - they're noticing my transformation. My weight is still 203 but I know it will drop again soon. Looking forward to checking my measurements.

Today I had a good workout. Started with 10 minutes warmup on the bike, then did chest - flyes then pec deck for final 12. Next was back - did row machine then lat pulldowns. Shoulders did side raises and had trouble with that - 5 lb was good but did 8 for my 10 rep and 8 rep - did 10 lb for my 6 rep set but last one my form wasn't very good - back to 8 for my 12 rep set and again, poor form for last 3 - couldn't raise to full shoulder height. Finished with 12 rep dumbbell raises at 10 lb.

Triceps were extensions - did 8, 10, 12, 15, 12 lb and it killed - made my 10 on that for sure - then did machine at only 60 lb for my final 12. Was only an 8 but I was OK with that, after the first sets. Hammer curls for biceps then final set of seated curls. Overall, excellent workout! And looking forward to cardio day tomorrow.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 09:05

Monday morning - LBWO - felt good, really worked - but pulled a groin muscle a little - felt painful twinges when I was trying to do the plié squats so had to stop - did extra walking lunges instead. Only pushed 215 lb x 8 today on the leg press - just couldn't bring myself to try 235 again because of the pulled muscle. Don't want to hurt myself and not be able to do anything.

Saturday was an awesome cardio day - 50 minutes straight on the bike - 11 hills - burned lots of calories for the bike, and really worked up a sweat. level 9 - so it was kind of like an extended HIIT. Might just do bike again tomorrow for my cardio. Then on Saturday I did some incline sit-ups - 6,5 and 4 - but I'll work my way up! Just wait for my next retest!

Looking forward to BFL week 7!