Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Weight Lifting

Someone told me that it's not good to lift weights and do atkins because you need carbs to build muscle is this true??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:17

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

No. It's not true. Many long time LCers are successful with weight lifting to improve muscle strength, tone and mass. It might be a different story if you are into body building - then you might have to alter the usual LC diet some. I'd consult an expert if body building is your goal.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:21

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

The truth is, people who are used to carbs do need carbs to make muscle EFFICIENTLY. The key here is EFFICIENTLY. Those who have adapted to LC need far fewer carbs (still some, but not much), and we put muscle on at a slightly slower rate. There are ways of getting around this, though: check out the CKD/Body Opus forum and wearch for TKD. TKD involves taking extra carbs around workouts to increase muscle building and workout intensity. It's what I'm doing right now.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:15

Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks. I'm not really into body building but I would like to start toning a little bit. Thanks for the input!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:50
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

If you are not doing intense workouts, you may not need to come off Atkins at all. I lifted on 30 carbs/day and although it was sometimes a bit difficult and tiring, it wasn't a horror. But when I started Body for Life, I had to start doing a TKD because BFL requires you to go to absolute maximum effort on the lifts...and I just couldn't do that on Atkins.

Everybody's different, though. A few people on LC get terrible weakness in the gym. And some LC'ers can lift intensely on Induction levels of carbs, with no problem. Most people are somewhere inbetween these extremes.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:56
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

I lift weights 4 times a week and found that I had to increase my carbs to between 80 and 100. I added more veggies and some beans and occasionally some steel cut oats and felt better.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:03

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

If you are doing it for muscle tone only - increase your protein. Make sure you have enought to build those new muscles of yours - as for carbs - everyone else had good advice about that.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I saw a competing, female body builder who stated that she ate a high protein/fat diet. So add this up with all the other information.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 216.5/211/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have found that I needed to increase my carb count on the days that I lift weights...but I try to do this by eating more fiber carbs, which don't technically count. This has given me the energy I need on the days I lift.