Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 170/168/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Unhappy alcohol and atkins?

I used to be a frequent beer drinker, (maybe a little too much). I have been good since being on atkins (3 weeks now). Last week end I had some rum and diet soda. This week end I had rum last night and some low carb beer tonight. It seems a hard habit to break when i am used to having something while watching movies. I am not too worried about carb count but I have heard it can slow weight loss. Does anyone else deal with this...oh yeah? and does anyone ever go into the chat room? maybe my timing is always wrong.
cheers. L.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:55

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

What is "low carb beer" made of? I am craving for beer - sofar I sinned with "light" beers.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:01

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Any alcohol you drink WILL be metabolized before anything else, especially fat. So it can slow your weight loss that way. That and all the junk I eat when I'm drinking.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Labatt Sterling, Sleeman Clear and something by molsons are three of the Low Carb beers and by the way Labatt Sterling is supposed to be the closest to coors light
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default sterling, blech

If ONLY sterling was close to Coors light..i always drank coors light and the sterling is hard to get down..which of course isn't a bad thing, hehe...
cheers.L
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:32

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I like michelob ultra, it is 2.6 per bottle.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: SB
Stats: 256/200/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Here's another vote for michelob ultra. I have a few every weekend and it hasn't slowed me down yet. I did have a period of a few days where it didn't seem like I was loosing at all but I attribute that to the russell stovers LC candies, ever since I stopped eating those things I have been loosing again. So go for the LC beer
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/177/145 Female 5ft 4in.
BF:
Progress: 55%

I also enjoy Michelob ultra. If it's beer your craving I like this one best!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Mille Lite and Milwaukee's Best Light each have 3.5 grams a can, I prefer them over the Michelob ultra, as that has a watery taste. The flavor to me is worth the extra carb.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 20:55

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Rolling Rock green light.
Same carbs as ultra (2.6), more flavor.

--nw
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 21:22
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

As for your first question... yes drinking alcohol will slow down your weight loss...
Your body will burn the alcohol in your system before it will return to burning fat... So keep that in mind..

As for me... I have been drinking on the weekends... since day one.. (sometimes during the week as well )
I am losing weight slowly but steadily.. and since this is a WOL.. i find it comforting to know that i don't have to give up things that i enjoy..

I drink Captain morgan's spiced rum.. (at .3 carbs per once and a half) and diet coke... w/ either a splash of lime juice or 3 lime wedges...
I'm not a big beer drinker... but Michelob Ultra is not bad.. just tastes watered down...
And be advised.. that the carbs are lower.. but the bottles are smaller
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 22:36

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

Woohoo! Another Canuck!!! Why not try rum flavouring in the diet pop and no alcohol? That way you get the "taste treat" without worrying about stalling your weight loss. Just a thought.....I have them from time to time....LOL

As for the chat room, it isn't used as much as I'd like it to be, but if you plant yourself in there while searching the forum (it opens in a separate window) then someone usually pops in to chat. See you around!

Nicole
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/163.1/135 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress: 3%

hi,
anyone know how many calories are in Rolling Rock Green lite?
I'm not ready to drink yet, but when I do I just want know which has the lowest cals and carbs.
I have tried (long time ago) to drink mixed drinks, (diet pop as mixer) the aspartame gives me bad headaches.
And what about red wine? any info?
Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 08:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The reason alcohol slows weight loss is your body will burn it first. Alcohol is much easier to convert to keotenes then fat, so your body takes the lazy way out. While you are burning the alcohol, any food eaten will be stored as fat for later use. With excessive drinking it will be fat stored in the liver that can build up.

An occasional drink shouldn't be a problem. Just watch your self control while drinking. Often alcohol and munchies go togehter.

With rum be careful also. Pure rum like barcardi 151 is 0 carb. Most of the spiced and flavoured rums can get up to 10g carbs for a 1oz shot. Someone emails the company and got a full list of carb counts from Bacardi and Captain Morgans. Do a forum search and you may be able to find those posts. Check here and general low carb.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 08:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default Carbs in Diet pepsi

WEll, I am delighted that their are others out there with some advice. I will check into other types of beer. Here on the Rock the variety is still limited.
I thought I was doing wonderful having rum and diet pepsi but this morning I was reading the label on the pepsi bottle and was SHOCKED to see that for every 1/2 cup there are 108 carbs...cripes. I am not sure where the carbs are coming from, maybe the caramel colour or something, but I am off the diet drinks in rum for sure now...
Cheers