Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:14

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default Is Soy Flour low carb???

I bought the Atkins Baking Mix but it never made it home cause I took it back...it cost $11.45. My friend said try Soy Flour...will that work???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:25

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Soy flour tends to be a lot lower carb than regular flour, and it can be used in baking as well, though it tends to be a bit heavier, and you have to adjust your measurements accordingly (I'm sure someone else knows this a lot better than I do).

It's still carbier than, say, almond flour or soy protein isolate, but it's definitely something to have on hand, just in case.

You're right, though. Atkins baking mix is WAY over-priced, and IMO WAY over-rated.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I like the carb sense Minicarb bake mix. It has 0 carbs and the taste isn't bad at all.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:14

where do you find that?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/205/220 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Hope you like to experiment

Soy Flour is missing gluton, the key part that makes breads with traditional flour rise. Soy might sound great for pies and breads but alas using straight soy flour instead of normal flour isn't the best tasting. I'm still trying to figure out what to add to take away that nutty taste.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

When using soy flour for anything you need to add eggs to compensate for the lack of gluten. I make quite good pancakes with it but the dough needs to be dryer and much eggier. I like the taste!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 22:41

can you share your recipe using the soy flour???
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 20:44

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

I am looking for reciepes with soy flour if anyone has any out there...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 22:00
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I get the 0 carb bake mix at Walmart, You can also order online.

I have a variety of thing sI use, and soy flour seems to be the least used. Many recipes, such as hot cereal and Lc donuts, call for whey powder. I use designer whey here. The Magic rolls from protien power (taste just like regular dinner rolls btw) call for gluten. When I bread things the 0 carb bake mix and maybe some parmasan cheese are all I need. I recently picked up soem Almond flour because many recipes in the Protien Power book call for this.

I have Atkins bake mix, but I thin kit was a wast eof money. I have maybe used it once. The soy flour is used occaisonaly, but I am trying to have less soy. The designer wehy and the 0 carb bake mix are about the only ones that are really worth the money and used often, at least for me.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 05:44

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Lady Belle...Question..How can I order that On Line? I got a link to their web page but can not find how to get to that, Please help...TY Edie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 130/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%

You can find the CarbSense and MiniCarb baking mix at www.alacarb.com. At the "shop by category" drop down menu select 'baking and cooking' and just scroll down through the products. I'm really impressed with the selection of products they have and I've ordered a couple of times from the site already and have been pleased with the service.

Also, I found the CarbSense Zero Carb Baking Mix at the Harry's/Whole Foods where I shop in Atlanta, as well as at GNC, although they were $2.00 more expensive than at Harry's/Whole Foods. If you have any health food stores in your area or even a grocery store with a good low carb section, you might want to check there. The CarbSense mix should be about $7.99 and, according to the website, the MiniCarb mix is $5.99. There is a slight difference in ingredients between the two mixes and I don't know which one is better than the other or if one is. I've not yet used my mix but I'm planning to try to make low carb cheese straws tonight.

I did try the MiniCarb Apple Cinnamon muffins (under 'breads and mixes') and they were excellent! Perfect texture!! However, the Buttery Biscuit mix is terrible...they were so awful that I couldn't even eat them and threw them away. The pizza crust is also very good but very difficult to roll out as thin as the directions call for. Keep at it though...it's a good work out for your arms (ha-ha) and in the end it is well worth it.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 04:08
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I agree the buttery biscuits were bad. There were just mediocre to me, but non-Lc SO claimed they wer elike cardboard.

They had amazing chocolate cake mix though. The cake was kind of flattish, but it tasted exactly like normal chocolate cake. With a little cocoa cream cheese frosting it was a treat. The carrot cake mix was blah. The great thing about Carbsense Mini carb mixes though are 0 sugar alcohols. I am very sensative and even a little SA makes me too stinky to be around.

About the only product I really hated from them was teh chocolate hot cereal. I had to add a ton of sweetners to make it edible, then it wasn't to bad. But about 15 mins - a half hour later I got the nastiest after taste in my mouth that just wouldn't go away. I threw the rest of the box out it was so nasty.

They also have a granola I really like. It has 29g total carbs with 25g fiber. The calories break down also has 70% of the calories coming from fat, and I think around 20% coming form protien, so it's a good Atkins food in OWL.