Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

One way I like to keep the fat up is indulging in all those great salad dressings I didn't eat for so long.
Get one with a good vegetable oil base and lots of real ingredients. Two favorites are Newman's & Maries (refrigerated section in produce.) And Lighthouse's Big Blue is my favorite blue cheese.

Lots of leafy greens and tasty dressings...it's a great combo.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:29
Nequaquam Vacuum!

Plan: The Zone, Fat Flush
Stats: 178.5/147.5/147.7 Female 64 inches
BF:more than enough
Progress: 101%
Default Wow Lent

Good luck on doing induction during Lent, especially if you are keeping to fish the entire time and NOT just on Fridays like us lazy, reformed Catholics! Let me know how it works out, as I don't think I'd be able to live on fish alone for 40 days!
I actually ENJOYED the Zone when I did it (and lost 20 pounds--much more than I have lost on Induction, so far) because there just seemed to be so much more emphasis on "balance" of micronutrients than in Atkins. I have been kicking around the idea of heading back into the Zone, too, although I DID run into a little bit of "trouble" with all those yummy Zone bars! I like Atkins strict aversion to any kind of sugar, though, because it always seems that even just a tiny bit of fuctose sent me into dizzying hunger pangs. (I, too, was more hungry on the Zone than on Atkins and sometimes couldn't wait 4 hours between mini-meals)
Anyway, I hope Induction works well for you, the first days can be tough, but if you can work your way up through OWL and into Maintenance, you will see it is very similiar to the Zone but with less carbs and more fat.
Once again, goodluck!
Jasmine
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:42
Registered Member

Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%

Cool thanks for the info. I bought the baking mix because a couple of the introduction menu items call to be dredged in it. The shake mix is also on the induction menu as a snack. Other than that, I'm trying to stay away from anything instant or in a box. I prefer to cook fresh food anyway.

Jasmine - I had success on the Zone and I also lost about 20lbs. I was just looking for a way to kick start the weight loss again, and in the future I might even venture back to the Zone but I was to keep my carbs to a bare minimum for now. I wasn't usually hungry between meals, but it would depend on what I ate. Sometimes I'd be starving after about three hours! I've been giving up meat for all of Lent for several years now, and it's not so bad. There are times I crave a huge side of beef but it's only a small sacrifice that is over soon enough. I am curious to see however, how my induction goes in conjunction with a no meat Lent. I'll definately let you know.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:37
Registered Member

Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm now on day two of induction, and I think I'm doing alright. I do find myself craving carbs and sweets like crazy though. I'm hoping those subside in a couple of days.

As for a multi vitamin, I'll check out my local Healthy Approach Market and tell them what I'm looking for. I went there yesterday and they have a ton of great organic and natual stuff.

As for the shake mix, it's on the induction menu as a snack and the bake mix is on there for dredging a couple of things. I mostly like to stay away from anything in a package or box though.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 15:20

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Txang72

Way to go on jumping right into induction before the weekend is over!!

Looks like you have everything under control, I just thought I would mention that L-Glutamine is recommended for sugar cravings. You can buy it pure in powdered form, it is an amino acid that goes directly to your brain and helps with sugar cravings amoungst other things. You mix about an eighth of a teaspoon in water and drink, it really has no taste at all! Many of the protien drinks also contain L-Glutamine.

Glad to see that you are keeping the fats up too!