Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%
Unhappy Oh My....Big Mistake

Well I was excited to come on here tonight to let everyone know about these absolutely incredible treat i discovered today. Russel Stover sugar free pecan delights made with malitol taste EXACTLY like turtles chocolates and although i realize its not something you should eat alot with only about 1 carb per chocolate its a great treat sometimes. Before i posted my great find to all my fellow forum members i was readind around some of your posts and discovered that there is a good chance those chocolates will affect me as 17 carbs for 2 pieces rather than the 2 i thought there were(given there is about 15 g malitol which i was minusing) anyway I am totally bummed now that i can't maybe have this sugar free chocolaty treat. Anyone have any personal experience with Malitol based treats???? Were you able to eat them or no???????? Guess I should have checked this all out B4 i ate them LOL . Oh well tomorrow is a new day
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 23:44
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I am a big fan of russel stovers candies. they are an occasional treat, not an everyday food for me. i find that i am ok if i only eat one or 2. the first time i had 3 and it did cause a little stomach discomfort. it didn't knock me out of ketosis, or slow down my losses. sugar alcohols vary for each person. so u have to find what is right for you. i go by the ecc, not the total carbs. some people count half the carbs, and some count the total carbs. it's basically trial and error for those darling little candies. YMMV.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 23:46

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Don't panic yet! You may be one whose weight loss is not effected by sugar alcohols like malitol. I've been steadily losing about a pound a week and have the very occassional sugar free treat, maybe one a month. It helps me stay on track.

At least now you can see if you're weight loss is effected.

Cheers,
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 23:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I have eaten a few of the low carb treats. They did not cause me to gain weight, but they did stall me. Since according to your stats you are below goal, I doubt they will cause you any major problems.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 00:49

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I havn't noticed any slowing of weight loss when I have had malitol, I subtract those carbs and fiber and only count the "effective" ones. If I eat too much though it sometimes causes "stomach discomfort"....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 02:12

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi there,

I surely do hope the candies don't cause you to stall or knock you out of Ketosis.

I haven't tried Russel Stover candy, but I've tried a few of the LC candy bars that they sell at GNC. Without exception, they tasted like fake peanut butter, fake chocolate, and reeked of alcohol. To add insult, they were quite expensive.

You might consider becoming your own candy-maker. I'm no cook, but some of the treats you can make yourself using Splenda are *awesome*! I've experienced none of the stalls or gastric distress associated with sugar alcohols. Check out the desserts in the recipe section. Use the search function to find a LC version of something you're fond of. It's well worth your effort!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 06:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I agree with IdahoSpud that making your own is a good plan. Although, I do love the lc chocolate, it gives me headaches and gas. There are alot of great recipes on this forum that taste great and are way cheaper in the long run.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:32

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Don't panic. You have a good chance that the sugar free candy will not bother you at all. I eat some of the lc Russell Stover chocolate from time to time with no problem at all. Everyone is different, so just see how your body reacts to it. The reason sugar alcohols are subtracted from the carb amount is because most people's bodies do not process them so they have minimal impact on you. If you over eat them they often have an unpleasant side effect of giving you gas and sending you to the bathroom for the rest of the day. It's like a built in portion control
Take care.
Marie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thank you all, I feel alot better now, I hope they won't affect me too much because for an occasional treat they are absolutely yummy. I will let you know in the next couple of days if I see any change. Thanks again