Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 03:00

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Artificial Sweeteners

Hi all... I'm curious about Artificial Sweeteners. There is a large school that think if you eat AS your body thinks it is eating sugar and you will have an insulin response same as if you eat carbs. This slows or stops weight loss in many.

Do you think there is any scientific basis for this, or has this been your experience.

Certainly Splenda, and some sugar alchohols does impact my blood sugar readings, however aspartame and others do not seem to.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Certainly Splenda, and some sugar alchohols does impact my blood sugar readings, however aspartame and others do not seem to.

Strangely enough, I'm just the opposite. Splenda and sugar alcohols have very little impact on my blood sugars but Aspartame makes them bounce all over the place (mostly high though).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 16:55

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Me too, Lisa. I'm okay with Splenda and SA's, except for the Laxitive Efect of some, Lactitol in particular. But whenever I have a product sweeetened with Aspartame, it will raise my BG about 10 pts....with no calories! I don't get it!

Best Wishes,
Sherry
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:50

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscious

Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates. They're absorbed more slowly than sugar but the "net carbs" bs on the wrapper is just that. I find that I can't subtract the sugar alcohol gram count from the total carbs listed. I can only subtract the fiber. So, whenever I eat an Atkins bar I count 14 grams.

Splenda is to my mind a gigantic boondoggle because it's adulterated with all kinds of bulking agents which are carbohydrates. Until such time as they reintroduce pure, no-carb Splenda I'll stick with my old reliable, peace of mind sweetener: STEVIA.

This is the only sugar substitute that Dr. Bernstein recommends (aside from Aspartame tablets). Has he ever steered us wrong? Think about it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

STEVIA hmmmm? Okay.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 20:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Or liquid Splenda is also totally carb free. That's what I mainly use.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 21:11

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hi c6!

Stevia is the only allowed sweetener on the Schwarzbein Plan. I use it some but have not yet figured out how to bake with it. I mostly use the liquid form of it. What kind do you use and what are some of your favorite treats? Any advice would be appreciated!

Tig
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 07:46

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

I use Stevia Plus, it works great for baking and doen't have the aftertaste most liquid ones have. I order mine together with my supplements from Vitanet, they have very good prices, and they carry both the packets and the shaker. I have the packets because I keep a few in my purse in case of need when I'm out, but at home I use the shaker.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 07:54

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hi Elisa!

Thanks! I'm going to check into it! Also, what are some of the things that you bake with stevia. I'm not much in the kitchen and I need all the help/ideas that I can get!

Thanks! Tig
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 04:54

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger64
Hi Elisa!

Thanks! I'm going to check into it! Also, what are some of the things that you bake with stevia. I'm not much in the kitchen and I need all the help/ideas that I can get!

Thanks! Tig

Well, I'm not on maintenance yet, so I cannot bake using actual grain flours etc - I mainly make flaxseed crackers, "cookies" made with whea protein and eggs, and a spaghetti squash "pudding" similar to the one in the recipe section. I definitely want to get a book on baking with stevia when I get to maintenance, mainly for special occasions, as those are the times when I tend to fall back into the sugar trap