Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/123 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Daughter's 1st Birthday...CAKE???

Ok, so tomorrow we are celebrating my daughter's 1st birthday !!!!

We are having family over, several are LC, some have quit and others are not LC at all...so we will have a variety of food. I got chips AND rinds AND peanuts (so I won't be as tempted to eat chips if I have something salty and crunchy). Also got regular ice cream and LC ice cream, lunch meat (our we will eat without the bun!), cheese, and a veggie tray w/ LC dip...but also a crockpot of green beans w/ diced ham since it is cold out. Usually I'd have a cheesy potato or baked bean thing for a hot dish, so this will work. But then, there is the CAKE! I have been w/out sugar or any kind of flour product for over 5 1/2 weeks. I have also not lost anymore since my first 2 weeks. I didn't have a ton to lose and am about 8 pounds from my new goal. Well meaning people tell me "you don't need to be on Atkins, you should just eat how you want". I seem to stay about the same weight regardless of what I do...LC or not. UGh.

I am debating eating a small piece of cake as it is a special occasion and I have been good....I have had LC snacks after my 1st 2 weeks, but nothing like cake, bread, pasta, etc. I don't plan to eat much icing as it isn't my favorite anyway...IF I do eat a SMALL piece, I'll try to make it as little carb as I can given the circumstances. I don't plan to just go on a binge. What do you all think?

I guess I am frustrated that I have been stuck and not seeing any change since the initial drop of 7-8 pounds. Not any inches either. I got the oil of oregeno today to see if that will help and I have also heard people on the board say they plan cheats to shock their body...I am afraid if I eat carbs I'll get fat as a pig due to the high fat/protein diet I am on...add carbs and look out. I do eat this piece of cake, I plan to go back to straight induction (which I was planning to do anyway to see if I could lose...I am trying to eat at 20 grams anyway, but I'll lay off the LC treats like the ice cream, chocolate, etc..) Can I have jello? How about rinds? (induction friendly?)

Thanks all. I feel like this is a Carb-Binge Hotline! I love this site! You are all so supportive, helpful, and undestanding.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:53

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Ya know, I started a thread about "Planned Cheat Day". This was my very subject and question because my daughter also turned 1 and I debated having a planned cheat day for that day since we were in the same food predicament.

I was going to not go LC for that meal and have cake, but ended up only having a piece of cake (ok, a couple pieces). I say, this special occasion is a good thing to celebrate, but you must be in the proper emotional state that you do not end up cheating for days at a time. You should have your piece of cake, and immediately return to your LC woe.

If, however, you don't feel that you can immediately return to it, then don't do it. I tell you from those couple small pieces of cake set me back about a week. So, also realize that you may be setting yourself back a little bit.

But my vote is to enjoy your daughter's first birthday, it's the only first birthday she's gonna have.

Enjoy,
Rem
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:00

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I forgot to say, that if you are doing induction, even the LC sweets can cause you to stall.

I don't know how the ongoing weight loss works there, since i'm still on induction, but if you are stalling with the LC foods, then you may want to stick closer to induction carb levels and induction foods.... and drink lots and lots of water.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Although since she's only ONE, I don't suppose it matters to HER if you eat cake or not.....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:07

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Wink Low carb cake recipe

For such an occasion, I use a semi-low carb cake recipe of my grandma. I do think it is more low carb than typical cakes, and it is tasty, although it is definitely not a phase 1 thing to eat!

100 g is about 4 oz.

Mix 6 egg yolks with 200 g sugar - I used Splenda, but you might risk trying fructose if you are on SB - it is lower glycemic index than real sugar - but don't try anything that doesn't have volume (like saccarin).
Then add 2 Table spoons bread crumbs, 200 g ground hazelnuts or ground almonds, a shot of rum. Beat the 6 egg whites until stiff, and slowly fold them under the mix. Don't mix thoroughly. Bake at fairly low temperature (around 340 F) for 30-45 min.

When its done for a kid's party, I add chocolate icing on one half.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:17

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

It is true, it is the only first birthday your daughter will have. I don't see what that has to do with your eating cake. Your child will be oblivious to whether you eat the cake or not. Cake eating is not a testimonial to celebrating and rejoicing on your baby's special day. You could run the video cam or keep yourself busy during cake cutting/eating time in many ways. You could make yourself a LC cheesecake and eat that when everyone else eats cake if it's an emotional issue and you do not want to be left out.

Birthdays are all about memories. Memories from the past. Events from the present all too soon turns into the past. When looking back on your child's first birthday, what is it you wish to remember? The cake, or how it felt to not eat the cake? Only you can make that call. Still, in the greater plan, it's just a piece of cake. If it means much to you, then I can think of no better reason for eating it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:19
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

Okay don't slap me but I have to agree with Potatofree....what diff will she know? Is the cake for you or her? Keep in mind I have not been cheat free....my daughter turned 9 in January and I was the only one that didn't eat the cake and no one noticed. If you have to cheat keep it small
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 310/245.5/150 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

There are seven ladies in "our group" as we call ourselves. All throughout the year we get together and celebrate for each of our birthdays. I was sweating the first birthday party for Paula who is a January baby. I was just out of induction when I was faced with the cake dilemma. I knew I wasn't going to eat cake, but I didn't want it to be obvioius as I didn't want to be put on the spot about not eating cake. I've not shared my changes in eating with anyone other than my dear husband and dear sister simply because I don't want anyone to hear anyone's opinion of the low carb lifestyle or anyone's expectations. So I baked up a bunch of low carb mini cheesecakes, (they looked so lovely lightly dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder) and brought them along. I didn't tell anyone they were low carb and after the candles were blown out I settled in with my cheesecake. I was very surpised to see that a couple of the ladies opted for the cheesecake rather than the birthday cake. I was ever so pleased, I wasn't the odd man out and my treat was just a lovely as it could have been. My weight loss that week was far more enjoyable than any old peice of cake!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:49
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
but you might risk trying fructose if you are on SB - it is lower glycemic index than real sugar

Fructose is actually pretty nasty stuff.

See what Doreen says about it here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
When we hear the word fructose, we think "fruit sugar". Sounds healthy enough. After all, fructose is the main sugar found in fruits, vegetables and honey, right?? True. But the fructose that gets added to food - even so-called "natural" food - and the white crystalline powder that's sold in bulk and natural foods stores is definitely not natural, and does not come from fruit. It's a highly refined monosaccharide sugar, made from corn syrup or corn starch. More recently, they've discovered a way to treat white table sugar (sucrose) chemically, so that it converts part of its glucose content to fructose. This type of sugar is very cheap to produce, that's why the food industry loves it; and because it's sweeter, they can use less of it. But it is everywhere -- soft drinks, "natural" juices and fruit drinks, baby food, desserts, candies .. you name it.

Fructose is readily absorbed into the cells to be used as fuel .. without requiring insulin to do so. Thus, there is no significant rise in blood sugar (the fructose is so rapidly absorbed, it doesn't stay in the blood long enough) nor insulin levels. This is what makes fructose have such a low "glycemic" value. However, your body will use the fructose for fuel first, therefore your fat-burning will be put on hold. It can and will halt ketosis.

But that's the good news... ..

The bad news is -- the fact that fructose doesn't require insulin to enter the cell actually increases the likelihood of developing insulin resistance. Many researchers are blaming the alarming increase of type 2 diabetes in KIDS to the fact that fructose, in the form of high-fructose corn syrup, is THE most commonly added sweetener in processed foods, especially the "healthy" fruit drinks.

As well, fructose is now known to increase blood lipids, in particular triglycerides. And it has been linked for years to increased risk of heart disease .... Glucose sugar binds with proteins in the body, and in the process it damages the DNA of the protein. Research has shown the link of this sugar-damage (called glycation) to the plaque buildup and hardening of artery walls. Fructose can bind to proteins 10 to 15 times more readily than glucose.

In Protein Power Lifeplan, the Eades discuss the dangers of fructose pp 159 - 162. As well, you might want to read this eye-opening article, written by Jack Challan, the Nutrition Reporter. I guarantee you will think twice before allowing your family to consume anything with fructose in it. ... http://www.nutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html

Read and Learn.

Doreen

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...98&postcount=10
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For the first birthday we have always gotten the little one a very small cake of thier own. walmart and some other bakeries give them free. That way the baby can mash and mutilate it to thier hearts content. Why not go that route and have a nice LC cake or cheesecake for yourself and anyone else LC? If you don't like cheesecake, Carbsense Minicarb chocolate cake mix is really great tasting. Put on a cocoa cream cheese frosting and no one would even notice it was LC.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 06:44

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

if you are out of induction, and feel you have will power, then take only 2 forkfuls/spoonfuls of cake. try to avoid
the icing part.

this way you feel as if you "participated", but at the
same time you did not overdo it.

of course, if you think you will devour any cake given
to you, then this is bad advice. We have to face
these occasions for the rest of our lives and there will
be moments of a bite or two. when it becomes a few pieces and then the next day some more and some more
that is an issue.

now that I am pretty much at goal, I dont fret if I steal
a few pieces of pasta from the kids, or grab a bite of
something here or there BUT i dont binge.

sandy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:50
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/123 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Talking Update:

Well, 1st I'd like to thank all of you for your encouragement and your suggestions.

Given that I had provided many LC foods, I was able to eat my fill of lunch meat, some rinds, a couple spoonfuls of peanuts, and a hot green bean and ham dish. When it was time for cake (a few hours later) I was still pretty full and not "starving" (plus I made sure to eat breakfast so I would avoid my great temptation...CHIPS!). My LC hubby and I took a small piece of cake, but had a scoop of LC ice cream. I found that I actually appreciated my treat given that it had been so long since I had eaten cake! I savored the bites when in the past I would have just eaten it and thought "good cake"...this time I actually focused on the taste and enjoyed eating it. Know how you can eat something and not really be paying attention? I was paying attention. It was small and I had very light icing (not a big icing fan anyway)...and I found that halfway through, I was full! So, I stopped. I was glad that I was able to control myself and not go on a crazy binge! I then sent all leftover cake, regular ice cream, and chips home with my Dad and now all the tempting foods have been purged from the house! My Dad thought he had hit the jackpot!

Now I am back at it...gonna do Induction again just to make sure there are no ill effects of my cake-eating.

BTW, the birthday was wonderful. She had a great time and it was soooo girly! Gotta love it! She had her own cake and enjoyed it till she got icing in her eye and needed an emergency bath! She has a cold and was rubbing her eyes and nose and, poor baby, got icing all over her face!

Thanks again everyone! This comes up again in 6 months when my other daughter turns 1! After today, I'm sure I can handle it just fine.

Take care and I hope you all have a great week!