Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%
Unhappy I believed ATKINS, but why do I now have muscle (weakness) fatigue?

I have been on this and I am happy with the fast results.

BUT, I now am experiencing muscle weakness and I am actually feeling tired.

THis is only recent about 2 weeks now, but still would like to have your comments.

For the record, I AM walking for my excerise, about 40 minutes a day. I am not doing weights or overstressing my muscles.

I take a Multi-Vitamin without iron,
250mg Chromium,
250 mg Lebertran (Omega 3 with additional Vit. A + D)

Thank you
Melissa

Last edited by HeMe2Kids : Fri, Feb-20-04 at 07:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:07
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Are you taking a good wide spectrum vitamin and mineral formula? That's very important.

I think you probably need extra potassium. Potassium makes muscles work fluidly and a feeling of weakness in muscles or muscle exhaustion is a sign of potassium depletion.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:11
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I fully agree with Zulelkaa. When I started to feel the same way I started to take potassium and noticed a difference. Thanks to this forum I now take vitamins I never heard of but needed.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:59

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

B-Complex gives me energy.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:00

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm having the same kind of problem, although mine is just an overall "tiredness". I am a college student, I'm up pretty late studying etc, up early, I've been exercising more lately (I run every other day 2-3 miles), and I eat around 20 grams of carbs a day. I know you guys have said I need to up it to about 25, but I guess I like the way my weight loss is going right now and I dont want to jeopardize anything! (I know, I'm stubborn) Right now, vitamin wise, I'm taking Centrum Daily, L-Carnitine,Chromium, and Lysine (Lysine is for my overall skin health, not weight related). Energy wise, do you think I should add any kinds of vitamins to what I'm taking? This is my 3rd week at Atkins and I hope this "feeling tired" feeling goes away soon! =(

Love,
Brittany
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:06
Registered Member

Stats: 315/205/220 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm not a doctor but you might want to get some blood work done. It's under $70 in most places and they can give you an idea of what you are feeling. Some people are addicted to caffine so if you are no longer on caffine this can lead to the "weakness".

Remember that it's better to exercise daily for half the time than it is to do it every other day (the except is that you shouldn't life weights twice in a row).

Instead of running 2-3 miles everyother day try running 1 mile /day. Your body quickly adjusts to this and can even learn to increase it's fat burning power *before* running. It's a biological clock thing.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:21

BF:

I will try to run less yet run more, as in daily. I guess running the 3 miles stems from my "cross-country" days in high school and I have this feeling of needing to run a lot all at once! Maybe that might help me energy wise doing it daily not as much? And...I'm not sure if you were talking to me but I guess I never really had the caffiene problem before the diet. I'm already a "nervous" kind of person so Ive been staying away from caffiene for quite awhile. Ironically, I just started drinking regular coffee lately (I know were suppose to stay away from caffiene) due to my "tired" feeling throughout the day. Without a cup in the morning, I dont think I could stay awake. As far as the blood work goes. I'm not really knowledgable or know anything as to what they can "see" after the blood work. If I went and had it done, what would they be looking for in the blood work as to why I'm maybe tired? Thanks so much.

Brittany
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Try some potassium. One pill twice a dayExtra vitamin C wouldn't hurt. The only other thing I can think of is that you might have low iron and would need a blood test for that.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:39

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

You might want to check the fat content of your diet, when I started I did kind of low fat and I was so TIRED!! It wasn't untill i slowly increased my fat that I started to feel better!!

Also if you are just starting your body might just be trying to get used to the diet and used to the fact your not going to give it a quick fix of carbs anymore!! It might take your body more energy to start burning the protien so it may take a little while until you feel the energy this wol provides!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:43

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know the B-complex with vit. C added, sure helped me A LOT!! I work 3 jobs( mostly shift work, to boot), have 3 kids and do volunteer work at their school...plus LCing, I was dragging! Added the B's and within a week I felt much better. I take green tea extract tablets, too, from the HFS which could help as well.

Good luck!

Maybe raising your carbs a bit would help, too? You don't have much more to lose so you should be moving them up a bit to prepare for maintenance, IMO Even 5g could really make a difference. What about going up to 25 - 30g/day for about 3 days and see what happens?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you're not getting enough calcium, magnesium and potassium from your food you should be supplementing.

Here's a list of foods that are high in these minerals

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ium#post1173884

A good thread on the subject

Multi-Vitamins and Cal/Mag/K

And another 10 Vitamin Truths

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Fatigue and weakness are also symptoms of dehydration. Make sure you're drinking lots of water throughout the day ... all the supplements in the world aren't going to help if you're not adequately hydrated. Caffeine beverages can have a diuretic effect, and so may be contributing to the problem.

So drink up!

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 11:36

BF:

Thanks everyone so much for taking the time to reply with so much helpful information. I will try my hardest to carefully monitor my diet and make sure I'm getting enough calcium, magnesium and potassium. I'll also look into the B-complex vitamins. I have been doing good on my water and will continue to drink up. =) Thanks everyone for your concern and suggestions.

Love,
Brittany
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 11:42

BF:

P.S.-I think I'm addicted to this forum! =) I dont know what I would do without it =)