Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Am I a freak of nature, or do other LCers also NOT have the urge to cheat ...ever?

Hey all... I often read stories about how even the mightiest low carbers succumb to temptation and cheat... well, I have been wondering something. Am I the only low carber who rarely ever is tempted? Am I the only one that, even when I am tempted has virtually no desire to act on it?

I am not trying to say I am perfect... I've tasted high carb foods here and there, sometimes I mistakenly ate food with a high carb sauce in the past. However, when I do this I have absolutely no desire to go off the wagon. I just don't feel that loss of control, and I think it is because there is no struggle for me to stay LC. Seriously, I love eating this way. The food is delicious and very satisfying. I guess I have an advantage, since I've always loved heavy, fatty foods and actually thought most bread, pasta, and cake was pretty gross. Ironically enough, I started out life hating carbs as a child, and I actually made myself addicted to them because I thought eating more carbs and less fat/protein was the way to go. Boy do I regret that now.

The only carby things I liked a lot to the point of craving were fruits (apples, melons, berries) veggies (although I do miss corn and beans )and nuts, and I can have those on Atkins. Corn and beans, I can have on maintenance. I did have a weak spot for some junkfoods, I totally admit... I used to love crunchy sunchips and baked pringles/lays. Yep, I was huge on the salty/crunch of chips. As for sweet things, I also was major hooked on oreo cookies and anything with an oreo-cookie-like crust. I loved white chocolate. And, of course, how could I forget my major #1 weak spot: soft white rice, fried rice, and various asian junk take out food dishes of all kinds. I was so addicted to chinese food. I also drank a lot lot lot of juice/sweet drinks, I was really addicted to that too.
However, I think I was only physically addicted to that stuff and the emotional addiction wasn't there. I just ate it too much and my body craved it. Now that it is out of my system I don't have cravings for them anymore.

I think I didn't get fat because I was eating food I liked, I got fat because I was eating everything, even stuff I didn't care for that much, because I was always always always hungry .

I guess what I am saying is, I love eating the atkins way plus the results are so rewarding that I just couldn't imagine going off plan, or even wanting to really. I do get tempted sometimes... a whiff of chinese food, family eating mexican, or I see sight of some oreos/chocolate chip cookies... I admit, my ears perk up with interest. But, even though the foods interest me, I would never consider giving in and blowing the plan. It just isn't worth it. It isn't even a will power thing for me, there just isn't a struggle there anymore.

A couple of times, out of curiosity, I tasted some of the old food I used to eat... doughnuts, mike & ikes, and oreos. The first thing I noticed was when I bit into the doughnut, my mouth was covered in this disgusting trans fat film. That was absolutely disgusting to me. Plus it tasted horrible, I could taste the preservatives and the staleness. Blech. I can't believe I used to eat that stuff. It actually tasted unhealthy. The mike and ikes were equally gross, they tasted like pure sugar and food coloring... no flavor or substance Gag. However, I admit the oreos were pretty tasty, but not as good as I remember. I couldn't imagine going off plan totally to eat stuff like that.

Anyway, I do have a point after all this rambling, promise. I was wondering if anyone else out there is like this. Do you actually enjoy eating the LC way, almost as much as you did on the high-carb diet, and really have almost no temptation to go off plan, like I do? I imagine this diet must be much, much harder if you really fancy carb foods, and that is why so many people fail. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one lucky enough to be born with a palate that is conducive to the LC way .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

While your post was a little too wordy for me to complete....let me tell you....I ALSO HAVE NO URGE TO CHEAT!!

What I honestly believe is that we are doing the diet right.

When it's done right....the urge to cheat simply disappears...

Horray!

And a word to the cheaters....could it be you're doing something wrong?

Are you eating something (for me it was caffeine) that gives you the urges??
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

While they could be eating triggering foods, I simply believe genetic difference causes some people to like certain foods while others like other foods. The reaosn I think this is so, is because even when I was eating high carb, I simply did not crave most carbs. Let me explain. Say you gave me the choice between two meals, and I could eat either meal and not have it affect me differently from the other.

meal a:
A juicy steak with garlic onions and mushrooms, some spinach/broccoli sauteed in garlic, olive oil and lemon juice as a side. For desert there will be rich cheesecake topped with berries and whipped cream, with a crumbly/textured nut crust.
meal b:
A bowl of pasta and sweet/savory herb sauce, with a crusty slice of garlic herb italian bread as a side. For desert there will be soft warm chocolate chip cookies.

Even before atkins, I would without hesitation choose meal a. No doubt I would enjoy meal b as well, but I actually crave the heavy, rich, textured, fattiness of meal a. I always fancied in foods the qualities of heaviness, richness, interesting "weighty" textures, as well as pungent/salty/savory/sour flavors. I simply did not crave light sweet things that much.

I do entirely believe this is a genetic difference. There are 6 flavors that are interpreted by the tongue, and everyone has a different concentration of taste buds to perceive these flavors. Meaning, the way one thing tastes to me or you might not taste the same way to someone else. So what I am saying is, while you or I may not crave non-atkins food, some poor people might have the genetic hard wiring to like those foods. It must be much harder for these people to stay on LC.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think aloto f it has to do with how clean a person's diet is. When I first started I would occasionaly have craving,s but they were rare. Then I did a seocnd induction where I did strict KISS. It was amazing. Not only did I not crave, but higher carb foods lookd disgusting. I tried a free sample at the store of a chocolate thing, and it was nasty, leaving a bad after taste.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:09

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't really have a craving for carbs as such. People at work bring in fresh bread in the morning, and I am not tempted. I cook Pasta and Rice for the family at home, and I am not tempted. But I do get the occasional day, where I absolutley crave freshly squeezed Orange Juice. Something I didn't care much for, before starting the diet. Weird. Haven't given in yet. But it was hard the other day. Thankfully it isn't easily available

I never liked sweets much as a kid. It was only when I started working and people kept bringing in sweets and cakes for this birthday/leaving-do/anniversary/religious festival or another, that I became hooked.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:21
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Very interesting post. I have been wondering about this subject for a while, wondering why I am a habitual 'cheater'. The thing that I notice is, that aside from PMS cravings (which account for most of the 'cheats' - my cheats are not full days of eating, but maybe a dessert here or there, or just plain overeating to the point of being uncomfortable) when I cheat it is entirely an emotional issue. I don't have physical cravings for carbs(other than the aforementioned pms), but when I am stressed or upset, the first thing I want to do is stuff the feelings back down with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. The longer I am on a lc way of eating, the more I notice this pattern and the more I am able to control it. Maybe the people who do not habitually cheat are not used to using food as an emotional crutch, maybe they had more of a physical addiction, so if you take away the physical cravings then the problem of craving carbs is solved? Just some thoughts...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:29

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's an interesting idea. If I am stressed or upset, I can't eat. The last thing on my mind would be Ice Cream....
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:32
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I very rarely have the urge to stuff myself with high carb foods. Occasionally I get sweet cravings. When I was on Atkins, the temptation to cheat was minimal. Now that I'm on BFL, and I have one "free day" where carbs are not an issue, I do find myself craving certain things and just putting them off till the free day. And when the glorious free day finally dawns, I discover that I want much less of the starchy or sugary items than I thought I would.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:55

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I have been known to look up from my low carb dinner and exclaim "I love eating this way!" The food tastes so good!
I think it's because I'm eating real food, and that my taste buds are more sensitive. Since I've been maintaining I've had a few things here and there, but I have it, go low carb for a few days, and have no urge to seek it out. I never seek it out, in fact.
And I do think a lot of the cravings are emotional. Now that I eat this way, I find my hunger is markedly less. My portions take care of themselves, and I never eat until I'm stuffed.
It's marvelous!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 18:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I understand, I'm one too. I love my coffee but it triggers no cravings. I love fatty foods, have always (secretly) regarded bread and pasta as the delivery vehicle for the "good stuff". I am living my former guilty pleasure, and it feels great!

I do miss sesame chicken and O.J., no cravings here but I wouldn't mind having some for the yummy taste.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 19:35
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yes, Woo, you are a freak of nature.

Just kidding!

I am the same way, mostly. If I get into a situation where I am super hungry and there is nothing appropriate for me to eat available, then and only then am I tempted. Otherwise I am absolutely cool with the woe.

I guess we were born to low-carb!

Liz
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 20:55

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

About the only time I'm tempted by a full-fledged cheat is when I eat with my parents who are both wonderful cooks and make almost everything from scratch. Now that I am following the BFL diet, I sometimes eat a little more fat than is called for, but I have trouble eating *enough* carbs - I just don't want much in the way of carbs. Carbs don't do much for me unless they are smothered, covered or otherwise full of fat. I do like fruit but never found it satisfying - if I eat a piece of fruit by itself it just makes me hungrier! I just don't like most junk food. If I crave something I just save it for my free day. But really I crave fat, not carbs. I can't believe I used to be a vegetarian!

Jen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 22:05
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Im sitting here thinking about why I used to eat the way I did, when I really do love all of the high fat/protein foods I now eat.

This might sound crazy, but I think it's because I could eat the carby food for a long time without getting full - just for the fun of eatiing something. Like a french baguette, (whole thing!),or a big bag of chips, huge bowl of popcorn, big bag of M&Ms - just to be able to eat and eat something and not feel full, simply for the pleasure of eating. It wasn't about eating to stop being hungry or be satiated - it was about eating for - what - fun?

Liz
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 23:57

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I crave ice cream with topping 24 hours a day seven days a week. I never quit missing it. It even makes me sick to my stomach but I LOVE it! Oh well, I am managing without it. But I would eat a whole bunch if i could!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 02:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Let's not use the word 'cheat' - that's something you do to your partner (or we hope don't do). Let's say 'go off plan'. It's a planned way of eating, not a marriage and not a religion.

I never have the urge to go off plan as I have devised was of substituting foods if I feel I want something. Something crisp? I fry cheese, cookies, cakes? I can make low carb ones. Chocolate, candy? I buy low carb versions.

My problem is travelling. I travel a lot in my job. Next week I'll be in Spain. Someone will shove paella or tortilla (it's an omlette) in my face and expect me to eat it - guarenteed - and no, you can't say 'no' when it's their national dish and they cooked it just for you...and then there's all that lovely Spanish wine

Oh well back to induction the week after.