Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 02:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%
Default Do any of you take your pants in?

Some of my pants are dragging on the ground. I have lost my stomach, and my hips have shrunk, so they are sitting lower. I have lost 18 lbs + obviously need to buy smaller pants, but I bought these 2 pairs before Xmas + I really like them.
Tonight I've been trying to take them in. My husband said to go back + see if they still have the same pants + get a size smaller, but I thought I would give this a try 1st.I think I need to sew right up the leg from the hem up the inside seam+ around the crotch + down the other leg. Have any of you ever had success in taking them in?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 04:33

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

That will only fix part of the problem....the rise. You may also find you need to run up the front and back seam too. However then you have the problem of the zip. Short of dismantling the whole article, there is not much you can do about the zip. You may get away with removing the waistband, scooting down the side seams and replacing the waistband.

If you can afford it, and the pants are worth it, you could always get a seamstress or tailor to do a professional job on them for you.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:38

Plan: LC/Shangri-La
Stats: 157.5/141/120 Female 5 ft. 1 in.
BF:?
Progress: 44%

I've tried this before with no luck. They seemed to look really STRANGE !! Treat yourself to a pair that fits....you deserve it !

pati
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:40

Yes, Toning_up, I had to zip down the back seam + tapered it before getting to the fly.They turned out pretty good. I'm not going to try my cords, as the seams are double locked, or what ever you call the kind of seams they do on jeans. Forget that! I am shopping with my daughter tomorrow, + for once I look forward to buying new pants.Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:45

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Unless you really know what you are doing, altering pants is rarely successful, IMHO. I've ruined so many over the years -- the results varied from weird to unwearable. Problem is after I "fixed" them they were of no use to anyone. Just donate the larger size and treat yourself to smaller ones. Use the $$ you used to spend on ice cream, chips, or candy. : )
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:27

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I say it's worth it to find a seamstress to take them in since you like them so much. I have had a couple of pairs done by a seamstress and they turned out great.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:24

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Pants can definitely be taken in by a tailor but it will cost around $25.00. So it is only worth it for good quality pants (and of course you may lose more weight....).
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:08

They aren't worth paying to take them in. If I can alter them so I can get another month out of them, as they are new + I like them, then I will, otherwise they will go to goodwill. I'm looking foreward to getting some new pants tommorow tho.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 17:31

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

I find right now as I am still a long way from goal but have lost 50 lbs I have been going to second hand shops. I want some new to me clothes 'cause I am sick of sloppin' around in my big ones but don't want to pay big bucks for clothes that are going to get too big for me again soon!

This to me is a great solution plus you can buy more
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 18:07

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'll alter some stuff, like my Levis that I wear often (and those are expensive) but are still casual clothing. Sometimes I can get away with taking in the side seam at the hip and thigh (because they are usually not flat felled). I also salvage zippers from worn-out pants for when the zipper breaks on good pairs - those are pretty easy to replace and worth it to me.

I love my sewing machine, I've found nice pants in thrift stores that no one buys because they are too long, so I just hem them.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:09

I'm going to check out some thrift shops. Thanks for the good ideas. I'm also going to unpick from the knee to the ankle part of my pants I took in.I'll taper it .
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:25
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

If you stitch & trim the crotch area, you are actually making the area bigger! You can take in somewhat down from the waist (front, back & sides), but don't get into the crotch area.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:27

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I just want to add, sometimes it's good to run a basting stitch and try 'em on before you do anything permanent like cut. Just put the stitch on max length and drop the tension.

good luck!