Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/187/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Typical Food Day Question?

Hi,
I just started using www.fitday.com and had a nasty surprise! No wonder I'm not lossing weight. My average carb count was 25-30 a day
Now that I know the problem I've managed to get it down to 20-25 a day but the under 20 mark still eludes me. Heres a typical day for me;
one egg
3 sausage links
2 cups coffee
2 splenda packs
2 oz half and half
2 cups salad
half cup cucumber
1 oz cheddar cheese
quarter cup pepper
2 tbsp blue cheese dressing
left over meat or fish
chicken, meat or fish for dinner
1cup cooked vege like brocolli
snack of nuts or a lowcarb candy bar or summer sausage
I know I should give up the half and half but REALLY don't want to. Also I have thyroid problems so weight loss is slow for me anyway.
What does a day look for you guys?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:17

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Have you been subracting your fiber for the day? Go to goals and ask it to track fiber and carbs. Then at day's end, go to report and see the custom goals for the day. Subract fiber and there you have your net carbs.

For instance, to day before lunch, my fitday already shows 22 carbs. But if I subract my fiber today I'm down to 10 carbs. I have a 15 gm bowl of flaxmeal daily that has 12 gms of fiber listed
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:19

BF:

BTW...that day looks ok. Very much like a typical day of mine give or take a few items. I don't eat nuts yet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:21

BF:

Thanks,
I didn't even consider fiber amounts! Maybe that will make the difference. Thanks for the tip
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:24

BF:

I just went back to fitday and subtracted fiber from my days and eneded up with below 20 carbs on most days! Maybe I'm not eating enough calories during the day! I usually average 1500-1600 a day, does that sound right? Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:29

BF:

I never count calories but I've seen it written here that we should be eating 10-12 times our current weight in calories. Or is that goal weight? I can't remember.

Anyways, that would mean I should eat between 1650 and 1400 perday which, as it turns out, I do

BTW I can sympathise. I too lose very slowly. 6 pounds in 6 weeks.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:29

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I will offer a couple of suggestions. One is regarding Splenda; the other nuts.

Nuts are delicious and healthy but do have carbs. Stick with the summer sausage or another meat snack if you want to stay under 20 carbs per day.

Splenda packets have 1 carb each. Go for a zero carb sweetener. Some like Stevia although I have no experience with it. The other way is Splenda with fewer carbs. I found tablets from a drugstore in Australia. I ordered quite a lot so the shipping per bottle wasn't too bad. Also there are a couple of products make with splenda that are zero carb liquids. One is from locarber.com (there is also a website in Australia that offers the same product). It is not cheap as an 8 ounce bottle is about $18.00 USD plus shipping. I bought 5 bottles and the shipping was not bad. Another is FiberFit (do a search on the web). Nettrition is having a sale at $6.00 for 4 ounces.

I realize you are not in the US and these may not be options for you. There is also a new sugar alcohol out now that is very low in carbs and is reported to have fewer side effects. I don't remember the name just now but if you are interested, post again and I will look it up. The small amount you would use to sweeten coffee or tea probably wouldn't be a problem for you as you mentioned you do eat SF bars and they are nearly all sweetened with sugar alcohols.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:44

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalvato
I realize you are not in the US and these may not be options for you.
Ummmmmmm, last time I checked Wisconsin was still one of the 50 states which comprises the U.S.A. I mean, we just had a democratic primary and all which finally stopped Dean's campaign.

I live in Wisconsin and sure hope we didn't vote for secession and I missed it on the ballot on Tuesday.

JFF
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:53

In regards to the carb count issue, are you still on Induction? If you are, you "appear" to be getting (puts on flame-retardent suit) too many vegetables. The book says to limit non-leafy vegetables to 1 cup during induction. Also, I would try to cut back the cream as well. 2 oz is equal to 4 tablespoons. Are you using all of that in 2 cups of coffee?

Also, I would ignore the suggestion to use Fiberfit. IMHO I feel it is simply not as economical a solution as using a DaVinci flavored syrup. All of them are Splenda based and offer NO CARBS. And with such a varity of flavors, you simply can't go wrong! Sure adds a nice addition to the morning coffee for me, and it is carb free.

You can see the best price I have been able to find for them by Clicking this link!

Finally, if you are on induction, nuts are a no- no.

JFF
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I wouldn't cut out the veggies right away. Instead get rid of the low carb candy bars. For many people they cause stalls and have to count the full amount of carbs, not just the "net" carbs. Yes veggies have soem carbs, but alot more nutrients then candy.

If you are still on induciton, then candy and nuts are a no-no anyway.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:40

Oops, I missed the candy bars!

Yes, those should definately go before the veggies. Especially if you are on induction.

Sorry 'bout that.

JFF
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:57

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

How do you get FitDay to subtract fiber? When I go to goals it just says min. amount and max amount...
Thanks,
Alli
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:03

BF:

It's a little messy but what I do in fitday is this:

I create a custom goal for fiber and carbs in goals. Then at the end of each day I go to reports and ask if I have met my custom goals for the day. Click and it shows me prescisely how much carbs and fiber I've had and I subtract the fiber. The food page just gives you a rounded up figure.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:03

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

Yes, get completly rid of the low carb candy. If I eat ANY of that stuff, I don't lose an ounce.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:39

BF:

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I hate to lose the lowcarb candy but I think I can handle that.
I really do use 2 tbsp of cream per coffee! This explains why coffee ice cream used to be my very favorite ice cream!
I'll try the davinci syrups.
I thought I was thru with induction but now I think I never really did it at less than 20 carbs per day! I think I should try again without the nuts or candy bars
Thanks again.