Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 08:07

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%
Angry wheat flour in Low Carb products!?!?!

In regards to Carbolite/Atkins products...I bought some Carbolite Strawberry Breakfast bars without reading the ingredients. Then after I got in the car I was reading and these things have bleached flour in them!?!?!? I thought we're supposed to avoid that at all costs! I've notice that Atkins products have flour in them as well.....I was just wondering if these things are ok, or do they cause stalls? I hate to go overboard, but I might just have to! This weight is coming off (and it is) but I don;t want to hinder not even an ounce from leaving my body...any input/insight?
Thx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I wouldn't worry about it too much...as the amount is very small. Think about it this way - Whole Wheat Flour is 83% White Flour. In fact, it [Whole Wheat Flour] is actually processed into White Flour [the bran and germ removed,] and the Bran and Germ are added back to the White Flour at the end to make Whole Wheat Flour. By comparison, many of those Atkins products have significant amounts of added Fiber, which functions like Bran [as far as Blood Sugar is concerned,] but without the Phyates.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

yes they can cause stalls in many people. Save them for emergancies when there are no LC options available and don't have them as a daily part of your menu, and it should be ok though.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:01

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

thanks...i plan on leaving them out so someone else will eat them But I definetly won;t be buying them again or anything else with flour in it! Just to be on the safe side
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 14:15

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

yeah i found out too late about how they cause problems. I have a cabinet full of Carbsolutions BlueBerry Frost and Cappucino Chip if anyone wants to buy them for cheap
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:02
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

from what I read some of that wheat flour says "de-starched" That would cut the carb count considerably if it has no starch? Isn't flour all starch tho?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:03

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Take them into work, remove the wrapping, cut them up and serve them on a plate as a treat....No one will know, and you get rid of them and everyone will think you are soooo nice....
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:17

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I love my bars for when I go hiking, or am working outside all day. They are wonderfully convenient.

But they are a poor substitute for "real" food at home, they do stall many people, and frankly after not having them for awhile I find they start tasting really strange. And they are terribly expensive too!

Madpiano, if they have maltitol, I'm not sure I'd hand them out at work with impunity... not after hearing how that stuff affects some people!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:22

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks

Just give them to the people at work that you don't like. >:-O
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:10

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:

Quote:
Madpiano, if they have maltitol, I'm not sure I'd hand them out at work with impunity... not after hearing how that stuff affects some people!

LOL, take them in on a Friday. Everyone will blame the Kebab/Curry/Chinese they bought at that dodgy place after the usual Friday-Pub_Crawl
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 19:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

<shrug> Low-carb doesn't mean carb-FREE.... some of the best recipes I know with 8 or less grams of carbs per serving have whole wheat flour as an ingredient, or small amounts of white flour. It gives the texture and a bit of flavor without upping the carbs more than a smidge...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 20:06

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursey15
from what I read some of that wheat flour says "de-starched" That would cut the carb count considerably if it has no starch? Isn't flour all starch tho?

White Flour ranges vetween about 7 and 12% Protein if I remember correctly. It also has a trace amount of Fat and Fiber. Destarched White Flour is basically Wheat Gluten.