Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/197/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Talking I'm a newbie...!!!

I'm addicted to food & chocolate & sweets..!!! I eat if I'm hungry or not...!!! I want & need to loose at least 60 pounds...!!! I would appreciate anyone's suggestions on how to fight this sugar addiction that I have..... I've also signed up for Curves, I start tomorrow...... I know this is going to be a hard battle, but I'm in for the long haul, this has to be life changing for me..... no one can do it for myself except me.... wish me luck.....!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:41

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

Well, many people find induction difficult, but it's just like breaking any other addiction. It can be difficult, but you just have to stick with it. After a while, your cravings will diminish. You could also try L-carnitine or chromium picolinate supplements which help some people with cravings.
Also, Just wanted to double check, is your goal weight really 70lbs?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:46
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Good luck from me as well. I suspect you mean your goal is to lose 70 pounds?

Kay
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:39

BF:
Default thanks

thanks for your encouraging words..... my ideal weight is 130, 70 would be out of the question.....!!!
how long do you think it will take me to lose 70 pounds..??? I've been very sedentary, more like a couch potato, really..!!!
I'm gonna try Curves, but not jump in so fast that I burn myself out... i want to go at a comfortable pace so i don't lose hope because it doesn't come off fast enough.....
thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 20:04

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

Do the hardest thing your going to do in your life. Do the two weeks of induction that Atkins talks about. Stick with it very closely. You will lose your taste for Chocolate & sugary food.

I know. I had the benefit of watching a friend go through the induction and coming out the other end feeling better then she has in years. She has lost most of her weight in 6 months. (she had 30 to lose) and has an incredible amount of energy.

I have a lot more to lose and once I made it through induction, I found I didn't crave the sugar. This weekend, I was away and there was chocolate etc available. I had some and now am paying for it by feeling absolutely lousy. This is the lesson I need as to just how toxic excess carbs are to our bodies.

Good luck and I'll keep encouraging you to a healthier life.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 20:14

BF:
Default thanks

I tried atkins last year, but not faithfully..... the 1st month I was very faithful, but slipped, actually fell off the wagon really hard....!!! but during that first month i lost around12 pounds and the arthritis in my knees almost went away completely... when I fell off the wagon, I could feel the old, achy me come back..... I know it's the sugar, it's the demon that's causing all my pain..... i just feel so much better without all that sugar in my body... I just wish I wasn't so addicted to sweets, that's gonna be the hardest part.....
l8r.....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 17:57

Get through Induction and then find the treats you can have. Low Carb cheese cake and candies made with splenda. Allow yourself a treat once in awhile and then you won't have the large cheat. The day after it happens, get back at it.

You can do it and your knees will love you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 19:49

BF:
Unhappy 2nd day failure

did good yesterday, all day today, then lost it when I got home..... I even stopped at Curves and joined, but something turned me into a food-aholic when I got home from work.... started with 1 orange, then a candy bar, picked on the roast in the crockpot, then a bag of microwave popcorn, then another candy bar....!!! sheesh.....
Guess I gotta pick myself up and start all over again tomorrow..... whew.!!! this is hard work..... but it' something I have to do..
wish me luck.!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 21:14

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 180/169/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I wish u luck..I'm sure u'll be able to do it with all the help from here
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 07:59

BF:
Default thanks

thanks Manisha
I appreciate your support....!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:57

Get the food that you can't eat out of the house. It is still too much of a temptation for you. If there are others in the house, seperate what you can eat from the stuff you can't and then lock it up and don't have the key.

DH and I keep very little in the way of candies & snacks (his favs only cause we have different tastes). We have popcorn but only only have two cups when he makes a bag. The roast is okay cause its protien.

Good step signing up at Curves, now make the commitment to go. You will thank yourself in the future.

I know it's not easy. I'm feeling a bit off today and it is taking every once of my willpower not to get something comforting for lunch. But I remember how I felt that stuff before and realize it only makes me sicker not better.

Take it one day at a time, one hour if you need to. Each one is a sucess in it's own right....
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 18:46

BF:
Talking good day...!!!

had an orange for breakfast, leftover chicken for lunch..... went to my 1st curves session and really enjoyed it..!!! can't believe how out of shape I am..!!!
Came home and had small portion of roast, brussel sprouts and a small salad and I feel stuffed..... and tired...!!!
how was your day...??? still sticking to the weight loss idea.....??? I think my plan of attack is gonna be a modified Atkins, with a definite reduction in portion size.....
l8r......
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 00:01

Today was an incredibly rough day. I woke up tired and the day went downhill from there.

I had more nuts than I should have and I had a hot chocolate tonight. But tomorrow is another day. I just don't sweat the small stuff.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:24

BF:
Smile good days/bad days

we all seem to have those bad days now & then.... but I think if we keep a positive attitude, the good days will outnumber the bad ones...
I'm hoping for another good day, sometimes i have to take it hour by hour... what an internal fight I had with myself last night....!!! I wanted a candy bar so bad...!!! but didn't give in.....!! it was touch and go there for a few minutes...!!! settled for a slice of pepperoni....
l8r...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 15:01

The success was that you won the battle hour by hour. Good for you. do you have any hobbies to distract you when you get your cravings?

I have found cross-stitch, knitting etc helps. also going for a walk will help and you'll be getting exercise as well.