Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Thinking of changing

Hi there. I'm doing the Zone diet at the moment, but I'd like to cut back a little more on my carbs. I was thinking of giving Atkins a go, but I was wondering if I could make a few changes while in the induction phase. I can't bring myself to eat a lot of the fatty stuff, and I've never really eaten that many eggs. Would it hurt if I used egg subsitute, and low fat cheese in the fritattas and such? I'm fine with eating boiled eggs because that's only a couple, but for the big stuff I'd like to use egg substitute. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:24

Stats: 217/211/130 Female 5'2
BF:YUEPP
Progress: 7%

I've only been following Atkins for a few weeks, so I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and set things straight-

My observations though are that if something is low fat, it generally has more carbs. Fat is not an enemy with Atkins, so I wouldn't bother with the cheese being low fat. That doesn't mean I'd eat fat by the tablespoon, I just don't watch it - I watch the carbs and sugar on the labels.
I'm not totally big on eggs either, I usually make mine and use one egg whole and one egg just the white. Maybe you could omit the yolk in some instances. This is better to me than just straight egg[COLOR=Navy]s.

Missie

Last edited by Missie : Wed, Feb-18-04 at 11:26.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:00

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

I hate eggs so I didn't eat them and had no problems with this diet. Why bother with fritattas at all? There are plenty of low-carb foods -- just eat something else that you like. You aren't going to stick with this long term if you are trying to force yourself to eat things you don't like.

Last edited by downscale : Wed, Feb-18-04 at 12:01.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:29
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Atkins is a high-fat diet. In fact, the more fat you eat, the more weight you will lose. Missie is right about low-fat stuff having more carbs – the extra carbs come from added sugar! Stay away from low-fat if you want to do Atkins.

On the other hand, if you're interested in low-carb AND low-fat, you might look into the South Beach Diet. I hear it is a low-fat version of Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:41
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the input. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to eat something I don't like. I actually love fritattas because they hold in the fridge for a couple of days and reheat great. I do like eggs so there isn't a problem there either. I was just wondering if I could use egg substitute. I know a lot of low fat foods are high in carbs, and I tend to say away from them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Zone
Stats: 220/176/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:38%/28%/18%
Progress: 80%

TX,

As a past Zoner and current Atkins follower, have you considered dropping a block of carbs and adding a block of fat? That should help lower your carbs to Atkins maint. level--a very heathy place to be!

I beleive that there is nothing more heaty than the Zone diet with ultra refined fish oil supplements. It's just a bit too labor intensive for me.

I found that the appetite suppression with Atkins was most helpful; on the other hand, I was often slightly hungry on the Zone, despite eating 90% veggies and fruits as carbs (4 block system).

HTH
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 21:18

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

my only advice on the low fat part is my own experience. I too did a pretty low fat to start with and found I was very tired! my energy didn't increase untill I increased my fat. I also found My skin totally dried out and I had to drink a ton of water!!

I found it best to slowly start introducing fat into my diet and I started to feel good immediatly!! now I don't even count the fat anymore I just stick to the diet and feel good ( and have tons more energy)

anyway I would seriously consider this and read the atkins book and see why he says you need the fat!!

good luck
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 00:46

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, I got most of my fats from good sources, Butter Olive oil, dressings, avocado's, cheddar cheese.

I have never been one for greasy/fatty meat and it worked fine fo rme, I'm below goal.
Good Luck Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 01:02

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Txang72,Fat is the about the only way to keep your calories up on Atkins!

Look through the Best of forum or do some searches and you will find a lot of information there.
I believe one link is ..Confused and scared to eat Fat,

There is so much information here that members have researched for us for the last few years, you just need to do a little searching. When I have some more time I will come back and paste a few threads in for you!
Good Luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 08:21

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

If you modify the Atkins plan by cutting fats, you are really just using a regular old low-calorie plan. The physiology of Atkins works because of the fat levels and when that changes, you really aren't on Atkins. I do think that you need to do whatever type eating plan works for you....... But you really won't benefit from Atkins while cutting the fats. Just look for fat you like to eat and stay away from foods you do not like.

Orchid
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:28
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to everyone for their advice! I think I'm just gonna dive in and start the induction this Sunday. I'll be attempting to follow the sample menu plan from the Atkins website because well.........since it's pretty much just there for the following! My only alteration would be eating fish because Lent just happens to start next week, and I give up all meat except fish for Lent.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:42

Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Make it a fatty fish like salmon!!!

If you aren't interested in high fat Atkins, then you could try the South Beach Diet (SBD...I always thought that stood for silent but deadly, oh well!!!). SB is a lower fat version of Atkins (with a few more modifications, apparently).
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 11:33
Registered Member

BF:

I read a bit about SB, but I think I'm gonna go with Atkins and see what happens. Oh, I LOVE Salmon..........BUT I can't eat it every day for the next six weeks! I can't eat anything everyday for six weeks! I usually eat a variety of fish during Lent, so I'm thinking it won't be a problem during Induction and then moving into phase 2. We shall see.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, I've done it. Day one of induction is upon me. I thought of waiting until Sunday or Monday, but of course there's no time like the present! Went out this morning and bought the Atkins shake mix and baking mix and have been following the induction menu (well, I've only had breakfast, but I'm having lunch and dinner from the menu as well.)

Suppliments. What's recommended? Can I take a regular multi-vitamin? I'm not to concerned with fish oil because I only eat fish during Lent.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 12:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For the first 2 weeks you might want ot stay away from shakes, bars, and baked items and stick with just the foods found on the induction list of ok foods. It's different for everyone, but more lose better that way.

Take a regular multivitamin, just make sure there are no added starches, sugars and so on. Weather or not to use iron depends on how much you get form your diet. Calcium, magnesium and pottasium amay also be needed. After tha tit's jsut what you feel you need or want to try