Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/165/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default blood in urine

Wondering if others have had this problem. On 1/13 I had blood in my urine and it was pretty red so I called the doctors office and went in. Peed in the cup and yes there was blood in urine. Several days past period, but was given a pelvic exam to make sure not coming from cervix which it was not. Probably nothing, sent out for microscopic review, come back in a week. Came back on 1/21 and urine fine. Then Saturday morning, 1/24 more blood in urine. Continued for the day then Sunday it was brown. Sunday night it was back to red so I called and went back to md on Monday and peed in cup again. Blood in urine again. Referred to urologist who I see next week. Been on Atkins since July with a big break at the holidays. Haven't been losing weight lately, but not gaining either. Now it is 4 days later and no more blood.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 19:45
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Good that you saw doctor. Sometimes supplements can cause bleeding. Have you added any lately or are you taking any intermittantly?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 19:52

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I really hope everything turns out ok! Please keep us updated with what your doctor says may have caused this to happen. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 11:03

BF:
Progress:

Haven't been taking supplements - know I should! 5 days now with no blood. Maybe it will not come back - hopefully!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 47%

It could be a kidney stone that you passed. I had the same thing happen to
me over a year ago. Do you have any pain or soreness on your upper back?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 14:46

BF:
Progress:

No pain, no fever. Just red! That why it is so curious. No sypmtoms of bladder infection or uti.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Do you do a lot of vigorous cardio exercise .. running, cycling? There's mention in the medical literature of a benign condition that can happen to athletes .. if the bladder is empty, the vigorous leg and pelvic movements can cause the walls of the bladder to rub together, causing irritation and bleeding. It's self-limiting and heals spontaneously. The "cure" is to drink lots of water to keep the bladder flushed out .. after checking with a dr. to rule out other more serious problems, of course.

Just a thought

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:37

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Doreen, Not an athlete, but I do have a recumbent bicycle that I ride occasionally. I may have ridden it prior to these incidents. I keep racking my brain trying to see if I have done anything to cause the problem. Only 2 more days till I see the md and no blood for a week now!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 16:34

BF:
Progress:

saw the doctor and still have blood even though I can't see it anymore. Scheduled for a CT IVP and Cystoscopy now. Fun!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:02

BF:
Progress:

Saw the doctor today! Kidney stones!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:42

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Wow. I hope these can be taken care of quickly and painlessly!

This is great FYI, I have always assumed kidney stones meant lower back pain as an early symptom. I live in a very dry climate and many people here get them when they don't drink enough water no matter how they eat. Given this WOE, well, guess I'd better go grab a glass of water now...

Best of luck to you!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ugghh! Glad you got a diagnosis, but sorry it's not totally benign Hope you can get treatment soon.

FWIW, kidney stones are not related in any way to diet, low carb or otherwise EXCEPT if you have certain diseases then some foods may be a factor. There's more information at National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information website.

I'm with Grimalkin .. time for another big glass of water!!

Good luck to you

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 09:33

BF:
Progress:

Doreen, Thanks for the great website! Mine are possibly large, so may need treatment. I have to go pick up my xrays so the doctor can see them since the report was not real explicit. Yesterday I was happy since no dread disease. Then I went online and found out that passing kidney stones can be worse than childbirth! Uh oh!
Now I have to get myself back on the diet - kind of drifted off with the stress of health issues.
Off to the kitchen for a water refill!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
FWIW, kidney stones are not related in any way to diet, low carb or otherwise EXCEPT if you have certain diseases then some foods may be a factor.
Doreen

Hi secimma:
Kidney stones are strongly linked to the diet, I know because my husband had them since his yearly 20s. Many folks develop uric acid stones while low carbing but you need to get the stone analyzed if you already passed one) or get a 24 hour urine collection test to find out which kind you have to adjust your diet accordingly. Water does help with formation of the stones but too much will overburden kidneys. If you are in a mood to get rid of them (or it) and if the size is small, i can recommend a supplement Stone Free, helped DH to pass one stone recently. But make sure that it's a small one, not large and keep some very strong pain medication around.
Regards,
Dina