Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:28

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Oprah Magazine

Hi - there is a good article in this months Oprah - don't know if the thread has the whole article though.

Vikki

http://www.oprah.com/health/omag/he...03_atkins.jhtml
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%

I actually bought the magazine (for the first time) because of the article. I was disappointed in it though; it didn't say anything... basically told everyone to wait for long term research before making the low carb decision.

.. I may be foolhardy, but I'm not waiting!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:43
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I found this article to be just another "iffy" article on Atkins. Disappointing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:10
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yeah I read this when I got the mag in the mail the other day. O has been "mentioning" low-carb diets for a while, but like a lot of other mags, has never really said yay or nay.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:40

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

But Oprah herself has said that the way she lost her weight is to swear off everything white. So no, sugar, rice, flour, etc. And most of all no liquer. Sounds fairly familiar.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default i read the article

I read the article and it was very disappointing. The woman who wrote the article was telling of her mother's weightloss on Atkins and her own opinions and even admitted to trying it but couldn't stick with it. It was very on the fence in it's presentation. It was titled completely wrong and I felt absloutely baffled that they would allow that article to be printed. The author even eluded to something about atkins not being helathy because it caused her mom pains in her joints, foggy memory.....etc,etc. but that her mother was still happy cause all she cared about was the weight she lost. I was like "what's that suppose to mean" that Atkins caused her moms joint pains. We don't know what kind of supplements this woman was taking....what exactly she was eating. It just really gets on my nerve when I hear people talking or furthermore writing an article in a world renowned magazine about something for which they know nothing about(her second hand knowlege is not enough) Her and her mom live in separate cities so she couldn't document anything true about Atkins at all. I generally like Oprah's articles but this one....I truly was disappointed with. Especially the title: "THE TRUTH ABOUT ATKINS".
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Same old stuff. What struck me, though, was the accompanying article written by a woman about her mother's battle with weight. She had tried numerous diets over the years, but nothing worked. Then she actually met Dr. Atkins a couple weeks before his death at his center. She loved him and the new way of eating.

She has lost 35 pounds, and is only 15 pounds from goal. Unfortunately, the author chose to focus on the negative when she wrote:
My mother stopped seeing progress at six months, and her weight loss has plateaued at 35 pounds. With 15 more to lose before arriving at her target weight, all she can see is an Everest-like peak looming before her. She is puzzled and discouraged, for despite one double fudge cookie this past August, she has stuck to her program like a devoted zealot. But she is typical of many people who have great initial success on Atkins and then peter out.

Duh! She hit a platueau. So what? Who among us has not? Instead of "sticking to her program like a devoted zealot," she should read the book and consider pre-maintenance and then maintenance. The article says that Dr. Atkins prescribed "a highly restrictive initial eating plan of meat, fish, salad, and cooked vegetables (not even butter or salad dressing)." This doesn't sound quite right to me.

Three months later (sadly, after he had passed away) she had a follow-up appointment with another doctor at the Atkins Center who told her to loosen up a little and "have a glass of wine on special occasions, a serving of berries once daily, and store-bought salad dressing rather than only olive oil and lemon juice."

She didn't take the advice, preferring to stick with what Dr. Atkins told her originally.

Well, geezum crow! She was probably treating this like any other diet she'd ever been on and restricted herself too much, causing her body to resist more loss.

There. Now I got riled up again. The best approach is simply to not read such articles and, if you do, to simply laugh at the ignorance.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 12:58.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 13:34

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Addressed once already

"Disappointed in Oprah" is around here somewhere.

The biggest consolation about the article, which is completely mis-titled, is that their treatment of OA is equally misleading and strange.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 14:25
Registered Member

Stats: 222/193/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 28%

that cow Oprah! how dare she not say that she was really fat forever and that finally she started to be low carb and it worked for her. way to be a role model and not share your secret! she tries to act like she marathoned it off. please! i wonder where the cook found his low carb ideas. she needs to give credit where credit is due.