Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:49

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default is it cheating if you take a bite and spit it out?

I was just wondering....someone made cookies for my b-day (very belated) and I just wanted to taste the cookies...so I took a bite and spit them out. I might have swallowed a bit of crumbs, but I ate a piece of gum and washed my mouth with water. Then I ate a Russell Stover Pecan Delite (Sugar free) to kill the craving. So is that a cheat? Has anyone else ever done this or am I crazy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:20

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Thats not a cheat in my book. I wouldnt fret f I were you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I do this all the time! It makes you realise that it doesn't taste THAT great and you're not really missing out. I try not to let anyone see me though because it looks pretty revolting. Some people might think this would lead to bulimia but if you have never had any problems with eating disorders and are in control then it is not a problem.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:49

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybs
but I ate a piece of gum
I'm curious, what "purpose" does eating the gum serve in overcoming the act of swallowing a few crumbs?

I would say that what you did though, is definately not a cheat, but for some it might trigger (gulp) worse things. Such as full-scale bingeing.

But if it works for you, hey, go for it.

JFF

Last edited by JustForFun : Tue, Feb-17-04 at 09:51.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The only problem is when you put it in your mouth, the digestive proporties of saliva kick in. It deos get partially digested. Becaus eof the sugars disolving, and something sweet being there, your body will release insulin in response.

Just watch how your body reacts. Did you get an increase in cravings form that one bite? Are you able to stop at one buite, or does your hand go for another while your mind is still debating? How often do you have just one bite?

Soemtiems it can work. It just depends on the person and h ow they react. Only you can judge how it makes you feel and if it's worth it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:04

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

LOL good idea, if u dont swallow it i wouldnt consider it a cheat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/219/185 Male 6 foot 2
BF:
Progress: 74%

I wouldn't consider it a cheat but.....

I would say this is NOT A GOOD IDEA. You haven't overcome anything if this is what you will be doing. Thats like recommending an alcoholic to swish their favorite drink around their mouth and then spit it out.

Everyone needs to lose the mentality of cheat/not cheat... legal/illegal. Just make good food choices for the majority of your life. If you want a treat, have a treat. But keep in mind a treat is a treat because it is only once in a while. The occasionaly treat will not spell disaster. Doing stuff like taking a bite and then spitting it out is not sound dietary advice.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I wouldn't consider it a cheat. Sometimes I have to check my son's food to make sure it isn't hot, and to do that I touch it to my lips. Occassionally I'll get a smidgen of a taste. I don't consider that a cheat because it's really just residue. And I've never had it trigger cravings either.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:18
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I had to laugh when I saw this post.

I did the same thing with a chocolate one time and realized it wasn't all that good, at least not as I remembered it was, so I spit it out before swallowing anything. My DH was like, what the hell are you doing. I had a good laugh before I told him why I did it. I don't do it anymore cause it triggers more craving for me. It's not worth it.

But it's not a cheat in my book if you don't swallow the sinful food.

Lily
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:53
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigman
I would say this is NOT A GOOD IDEA. You haven't overcome anything if this is what you will be doing. Thats like recommending an alcoholic to swish their favorite drink around their mouth and then spit it out.

Cheat, schmeat. It's all just symantics, really. It doesn't matter what you call it — what matters is what it's doing to you physically and mentally. Onebigman makes a great point that you haven't overcome your cravings if you find yourself feeding them like this. Maybe a strict two-week Induction or KISS would help you kick those cravings.

That said, a few crumbs probably won't bring your weight loss to a screeching halt, but I surely wouldn't make this a habit.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:44

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Ok, I may get slammed for this, but here's my thought.

This was for your birthday. If this is the one sweet thing that you want for your birthday, eat ONE cookie. Give the rest away. Plan for the fact that on your birthday you go to maintanence level carbs - same as you might do on other holidays. If you plan for it, and plan the rest of your daily menu around the fact that you will have this one cookie, it is not a cheat. You are in control and are making an informed decision rather than an impulse reaction. In fact, if you want the cookie that badly, save it for the next day, and plan your carb levels accordingly. And if you don't want the whole cookie - eat the bite and enjoy it, toss the rest of the cookie, and estimate your carb intake from the bite. The whole "taste it then spit it out" thing seems to me to be more of an unhealthy practice than just eating the darn bite! All that guilt over a bite of cookie!

In my mind, cheats are when you lose control and somehow the food you eat starts controlling you instead of the other way around. This is a way of eating for the rest of your life, not a diet. There are times when you are going to want to eat a cookie. It is easier to cut them out completely, but if you want to really stay on this WOL you have to be able to make it work for you. And this means (at least for me) an occasional treat. However, it also means that I accept the consequences for my choice, and that I have to cut back on something else to have my cookie. And if you are going to eat the cookie and you've planned for your cookie - NO GUILT about it later! Fundamentally, it is just a cookie!

Just my opinion...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:08
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

I agree with MaggieP's planned vs. impulse theory. There's a huge difference between the two.

I have to disagree with the "eat a little more on your birthday" thing, though. If you make that allowance on special days, they never end! First its your birthday, then Valentine's Day, then Easter, then Memorial Day, Indepedence Day, and Labor Day picnics, then all your kids birthdays, then your anniversary, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas... you see? At least personally, I think if I started making allowances for special occasions, the special occasions would sink me.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:31

Stats: 260/259/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
Cheat, schmeat.

I'm not sure Hilary, but I think you may have spelled schmeat wrong!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:38
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adothis
I'm not sure Hilary, but I think you may have spelled schmeat wrong!

I believe the rule is that whoever makes up the word gets to decide how it's spelled!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:38

Stats: 260/259/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I have to agree with MaggieP, IMHO, this is all about learning how to control what you eat, not letting it control you. If you can plan to have something, and then get right back onto the plan, I don't think you have hurt yourself. You are just learning how to make this a way of life.

I think the thing that people on this board fear, and I have to admit that I fear it myself, is that treat that you are going to have leading to other cravings. Then instead of having one cookie, you have blown a whole week, or worse yet go off of the woe altogether.

But I think that it is imperative that you learn how your body reacts to different things, and I know I am straying of the topic a little here, but sometimes that means experimenting some.