Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:45
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Why do I get hurt when called fat?

I mean I am still severely overweight. I obviously cant hide it or anything but yet I feel like I want to cry when its pointed out to me. I mean its not like its mentioned to me with any type of malicious intent but simply in casual conversation.

Why does it bother me so much when someone simply points out the obvious to me?

I mean I know I am supersensitive, but part of me feels like I have no right to get hurt when its pointed out to me, and then I feel upset and frustrated... And I feel its wrong to feel this way.

I dont know, does anyone else ever feel hurt when someone tells you, you are fat even though you know you still are (hopefully not for much longer)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:49

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I don't mind it being pointed out to me that I've overweight (though I bring it up myself very often, which could have a desensitizing effect), but I fly into a fit whenever someone tells me I'm overweight because I'm weak and lazy. Hate hate hate. >_<
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 15:55
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Hugs to you!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:01

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

because you are human....... a big for you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:02

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I think it hurts all the more now when it happens because it undermines all the fabulous work you have done over the past months. You've lost 31 pounds! Holy heck...that is wonderful. I wish myself such success. It must feel great too and then to have some idiot pinhead deflate you by making it seem that nothing has been achieved is just too much for a sensitive emerging self esteem to bear.

Hey next time someone tells you that, smile sweetly and tell them to go pound sand.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:02

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Its just human nature for people to notice/comment on any characteristic that is non-standard. Skinny people get lots of comments, as do people who are tall ,short, bald, have a large nose, pregnant, etc. When I was younger, any male with long hair heard a lot of comments, mostly derogatory.

My oldest son has a prominent birthmark on his forehead. He is always getting asked about it. He has learned to accept the fact that it will be mentioned.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking i know the feeling

Just let it continue to motivate you. Instead of getting depressed or frustrated about it. Allow it to continually motivate you. I am my worst critic. I know I beat up on myself far more than I think others do. Start showing forth love for yourself right now as if you were at your goal. It's attitude honey! Think of yourself as that slim,trim,--- pd. beauty that you aspire to be. Continue to know that you're beautiful inside and out. I have to remind myself sometimes that if I don't handle how I think of myself now.....when I arrive at that place.....I might still see myself as fat. Stand confident and strong and continue to strive towards your goals. For me it hurts because for so long I was in denial about truly how fat I was. I've always felt like I was a thin girl trapped inside a fat body....so it bothered me terribly when people made comments about my weight. This one is the most hated...."SEE US BIG GIRLS CAN"T WEAR EVERYTHING". It's like...who gave you permission to include me....speak for yourself. That bothered me cause I didn't want to be looked at as the big girl or the thick girl.....or even being compared to big people made me sick.(Oh you look just like so and so.....and that person is big) that makes me mad too. But I continue to work on me....and move beyond people because before you know it.....someone will say...oooh you've lost too much weight.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:17

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well. there certainly is no shortage of rude people in the world. How dare someone say that to you?! I suppose the person who made the remark is perfect in every way, right? Try not to let it get to you too much. For some reason, that person just needed to make him/herself feel better by being mean to you. You show 'em, girl!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:20
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My dear, 184 pounds is not "severely overweight." It's human nature for some ignoramuses to comment about any characteristic that makes people look different. Although it may hurt you to hear them call you "fat," try to be proud of yourself for the gread job you have done. And thank your lucky stars that you have so much more class and grace than those ignorant people who thoughtlessly bring up the subject. Just remember that your overweight size is temporary, while their lack of class and intelligence will likely never be rectified.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:26

BF:

Also note that it is in no way "wrong" to be upset that someone insulted you. It shows that you have more humanity to you than the thoughtless individual who insulted you in the first place.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:52
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Its not that anyone is trying to hurt me but more like I feel like I have no right to be upset over it. I made myself get fat, I made myself get to 250lbs and now I am losing it and working hard at it but I feel I have no right to get hurt when someone points out to me that I am fat but I still do.

No one I dont think was trying to be mean or hurtful in it, my doctor will call me obese all the time and it bothers me (especially that she is about 100 lbs overweight) or just family members or friends will say something in passing... not trying to be hurtful but say something like well you are still fat or you are too fat to wear that dress or something like that and I know it, and I dont need them to remind me... It just bothers me, and I wish it wouldnt bother me so much. Especially since its true and I am working on it.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:58

BF:

People don't have to be intentionally insulting to be insulting. The hurt is still real, whether one is hurt through spitefulnses or tactlessness.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:58
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

MJ:
You are never responsible for how other people feel about you. Their issues are their own. By the same token, you don't owe anyone any particular kind of response to their words or actions. If it hurts you, it hurts you. Be true to yourself and allow yourself to feel that - it is you, and it is fine!
The important thing is that you ARE working on it! Keep at it... you're doing fantastically.

Like most of us on here you became unhappy with your weight/health. That's a fundamental thing to accept and change about yourself - of COURSE you are still going to be sensitive about it... No-one EVER enjoys having their failings pointed out to them - no matter how well meaning the pointing is.

*huge hugs*
Steven
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:07

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Unfortunately "obese" is a medical classification of fat accumulation and doctors will persist in being medically correct even when the humane way to speak to patients is to use more euphemistic speech. Save the medicalese for their collegues in simple situations like reviewing weightloss.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Its not that anyone is trying to hurt me but more like I feel like I have no right to be upset over it. I made myself get fat, I made myself get to 250lbs and now I am losing it and working hard at it but I feel I have no right to get hurt when someone points out to me that I am fat but I still do.

My Journey...I don't see it as a matter of whether or not you have a right to feel hurt when someone comments on your weight. You have a right to feel any way you wish...they're your emotions! There is nothing wrong with feeling offended when someone makes a careless, hurtful comment.
Here are some things to think about, though.
Are you, in a way, agreeing with what they are saying and then proceeding to beat yourself up over it, telling yourself, "They're right. I'm fat and I did this to myself and that makes me a bad person."?
Stop! It's not true!
Yes, it's true that most of us allowed ourselves to get as large as we are, either through ignorance of the effect that the foods we were eating was having on our bodies or through eating too many/too much of the wrong things. Yes, I'm aware that weight gain can also result from circumstances beyond our control as well (medications, thyroid conditions, PCOS, etc...). But either way, our size does not determine whether we are a "good" or "bad" person.
What makes you a wonderful, unique person is who you are, not what you look like!
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Nobody can make you feel inferior (and I'll add bad about yourself) without your permission." I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating: I think many of us need to stop giving others permission to make us feel bad about ourselves, especially when so many of us have good reason to feel proud instead.
Intead of giving yourself negative messages, how about focusing on the positive ones? Instead of saying, "I did this to myself", say instead, "Yes, I am still overweight, but I have worked hard and accomplished much. I have taken control of the situation and am doing something about it. I have much to be proud of even before I reach my goal!".