Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 05:24

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Monday - Feb 16 - US Presidents Day

Welcome to the Protein Power Pals daily thread. All are welcome who are using, considering or curious about this WOE. We also welcome friends using other LC WOEs to drop by for some friendly conversation and a large glass of water.

I am still in light ketosis this AM - weight is at 176 lbs. My menu yesterday was a bit high on carbs but good on calories - not bad considering my lunch came with a fried cheesecake (I declined it). I subbed a second order of mixed veggies for the tator or fries. Couldn't pass up having a roll there however - this is a small chain similar to Red Lobster except the food is much better and the rolls are fantastic. The Red Lobster four blocks from this place closes down during the non-tourist season because none of the locals go there anymore.... http://www.upthecreekusa.com/html/index.shtml

Still watching my calorie per pound intake to try to drop another 5 lbs or so by about March 15. Calories per pound 1647 / 176 = 9.36 (aiming for around 9 to 10)

Total calories: 1647
Fat: 81 gms 733 cal 46%
Sat: 34 gms 318 cal 19%
Poly: 13 gms 113 cal 7%
Mono: 27 gms 241 cal 15%
Carbs: 78 gms 234 cal 15% ECC: 58 gms
Fiber: 20 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 159 gms 635 cal 4%

Breakfast:
4 egg-beater omlet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Lunch: (stepdaughter's b-day lunch)
1 medium lobster tail (steamed) with drawn butter
6 oz lean rib eye steak
1 cup of each: broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, zucchini (steamed) with butter
1 3.5" dinner roll

Dinner: (not very hungry after lunch)
LC grilled ham and cheese: (2) slices Natures Way LC bread, (2) .75 slices processed American cheese, (2) 1 oz slices of deli ham grilled in non-stick pan without butter

About 70 ozs water & 30 ozs coffee

Last edited by Orang : Mon, Feb-16-04 at 05:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 06:06
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi all,
It's a long time since I updated everyone, so thought it was time.
Yesterday I probably had the most "off plan" meal I've had in my nearly a year of LCing. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do. We had been invited to the home of a family from our church for Sunday dinner. Since I knew about it in advance, I brought with me some cheese and nuts for consumption on the drive between church and their home. Also an Atkins bar which I ate on the way home. The meal could have been worse. I declined the roll, the jellied salad and the apple pie. But did consume a tuna casserole that I know had chips in it, yams and cabbage salad (which hopefully didn't contain sugar). Just had very small portions of everything. And their were legal things like ham and cheese to go with the apple pie.
I have really been wondering lately about my goal weight. Was it reasonable? I've been sitting at the same weight since Jan. 11 when I returned from my trip to Mexico. I've been exercising diligently and staying close to plan (although I have increased my carb count somewhat in preparation for maintenance). Last time I was weighed at Curves, my trainer said she didn't think I should try to lose any more pounds. She was afraid I would start losing muscle. She suggested instead that I try to lower my body fat more (which I definitely agree with) and lose more inches. But I still wasn't sure that I couldn't lose more weight. However, it just wasn't happening.
A lady I walked with while I was walking at the mall tried the GI (glycemic index) diet which was developed by a Canadian. She loved it--couldn't believe she was eating so much and still losing weight. And she loved the recipes. Now this lady is in her 70's (and can still outwalk me!) and only needs to lose about 10 lb. So I bought the books. When I first read them, I thought "no way". The author is very critical of high protein diets and is extremely anti-fat. Skim milk, low fat everything. ICK! I know I need to reduce calories, but I draw the line at low fat cheese. I don't know if you have decent low fat cheese in the US, but I sure haven't found any in Canada. Even the nutritionist when my husband and I took a "heart healthy" class suggested by his doctor, said to forget the low fat cheese and just use regular cheese sparingly.
Then I went on a website where others were discussing this diet and others of the same type (which could be described as "lower" carb and low fat). There the people said that more or less just picked and chose what they would do. Some couldn't tolerate low fat salad dressings and just used full fat more sparingly, etc., etc. So I took another look at the books.
A week ago Sun. I started very gingerly increasing my carbs and reducing my fat. I started by adding a little unsweetened apple sauce to my morning granola and yogourt concoction. I've been increasing my carbs about twice a week so it will take awhile to get to the level that would be required for the diet. You avoid all sugar, white flour and refined carbs. It's really a maintenance program that would be very healthy. And I'm not nearly as paranoid about fat as the author is.
Anyway, at my weigh in yesterday I was FINALLY down a pound. Now I've also been exercising like a fiend (WATP 3 mile every day) plus Curves 3x weekly plus other firming and toning work on non-Curves days. I don't care what's responsible. So I'm now at 130. Just sounds so much better than 131. In fact, I was even a tad below 130, but didn't want to push my luck.
I will still maintain my minimum protein requirement (will try to get it from lower fat choices) and likely less in the starchy side dishes (which are all low GI such as brown rice or wholewheat pasta). You are supposed to cover half your plate with veggies, one quarter with your side dish and one quarter with your meat/fish. I tried brown basmati rice and wasn't impressed. I know I don't need these side dishes to live, so I don't think they will be a big part of my life.
Wendy, good to hear from you. Shelley so sorry about your Mom's accident and hope she is making a speedy recovery. Ellie, sorry about your step-Mom. Glad that your Dad is coming along. Things will likely improve more when he can get some closure to the whole thing.
Big hi from Canada to everyone. Have a great week!
Marjorie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 07:02

Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hello all. Hi Marnie!
Great pix Unity!

Bawdy, Atkins 72-intriguing. That's what I remember as being the Atkins diet.I always liked whole grain bread and brown rice. That's what I miss. I had a Thomas LC whole wheat bagel with sf peanut butter this AM for bfast.Pasta I don't miss very much.
Also, if you do step aerobics that's fine. I do WATP because the step tends to bother my knees. That's why I stopped using the FIRM.

I'm off from work today for Presidents Day. So I did not do my before bfast weight training as I will have more time to exercise today.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 07:03

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, Marnie! I think what you're doing -- lowering the fat and upping the "good" carbs -- is the right thing to do. On both the PP and Atkins pre-maintenance and maintenance plans, they recommend doing this. People tend to stick with Induction/Intervention levels throughout the entire time, but that's not good. If you do that, there's never any end. It's very restrictive. Most of the people who reach goal and are successful are those who go through the pre-maintenance and maintenance phases.

I know you've read the books. In the hardcover edition of PP on page 183 there is a discussion titled "Transition and Maintenance." Read it again carefully. It says to do exactly what you're considering doing. Over the course of the last several years, I had read this section casually, not paying much attention to it because I figured I wasn't even close to doing pre-maintenance or maintenance. But, it says that you need to make the transition from intervention to maintenance "when you are within 5 percent of your ideal body weight." If your goal is 125, and 5% of 125 is 6.25, you are right smack dab where you need to start moving to maintenance.

My eating was good until around dinner time last night. Before we went to the restaurant, I had 2 glasses of wine and . . . ummmmm . . . a bowl of potato chips. Why? No clue. I don't even much like them. Then at the restaurant, I had three very small slices of warm bread (each slice was about an inch wide, a half inch thick, and four inches long. Dinner was pork chops with apples and onions, and lemon meringue pie ("hold the meringue, give me whippped cream instead") for dessert.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty lousy. And not being able to do the step aerobics really got me down.

I went to that seminar the other day, and at one point he gave us an "Action Plan for Life." It was:
  1. Get knowledge.
  2. Take action.
  3. Take a risk.
  4. Do it now.
Short and sweet. He also talked about the "21-day principle." If you can do something for 21 days in a row, it will likely become a habit. The last two times I was "serious" about losing the fat (and was successful), I went full-steam ahead, never looking back, and never eating off plan. Obviously, I passed the 21-day mark. And I was successful. In the past year, though, I haven't had the same single-minded attitude I had before, and I've never done it 21 days in a row.

Note to self:
  1. Get knowledge. Check. Got the knowledge.
  2. Take action. Check. I'm on my way.
  3. Take a risk. This one's hard.
  4. Do it now. Here goes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:38

Plan: Basic Lo Carb
Stats: 270/236/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi everyone. I just joined this forum and since I'm doing Protien Power too, I thought I'd join in here. I'm on my third day of Induction and doing fine so far. I've lost 4 lbs. I started out last Sept on a low fat diet but stalled out before Christmas. So far I'm feeling lot better on PP, I'm rarely hungry and my mood is alot better since the scales are once again moving! Anyway, just thought I would say hi and I look forward to getting to know all of you!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:45

BF:

Hi, Meg!!!!!! Have you been lurking long? If so, you know we're a pretty fun bunch, but we do have our serious sides, too. We all try to help each other find what works best. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Have you read either or both of the basic Protein Power books? That's an excellent start ("Protein Power" first, to get the basics, and then "Protein Power Lifeplan" to hone your strategy).

Tell us a little about yourself.

PS: I just finished a full hour of the step aerobics and feel mighty good. My heart rate was way up there, but I could still talk and I felt good. I'm thinking maybe my body needs a little more cardio right now. So, the plan is cardio primary, weight-training secondary.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:59

BF:

Hi Meg and welcome

Bawdy, here's a big ol' hug , sounds like you're having one of MY days
I like the seminar points. Take a risk, yeah that's the toughie. That's where we think we've failed if we screw up-if I had lc ice cream or you had some wine and potato chips. We all forget the 'Do it Now" part that gets us moving ahead back on track. Scewing up is not the end of the world, it just makes the journey a little longer.I am trying for short term goals- 1/2 to lb a week with some exercise at least 5 times a week.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:20
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good morning all!

Hi to the newcomers and updaters, nice to meet y'all! ( said in a very northern ny accent even tho from ga.. just wanted to dispell the scarlet ohara sound that may have flashed thru your head!)

WEll, my day's plans have changed.. I *was* planning on going over to the tag office and renewing our car tag, BUT when I popped over here, I was gently reminded that its pres. day. So.. will have to do that tomorrow! Nothing like waiting til the last minute, it has to be done by this Thursday... sheesh!

I tried the low carb cereal by Total this morning, it tasted very good. Probably not a good day to try something new in my diet, to gauge blood glucose reactions, cause I am not really feeling on top of things. Kind of skirting the edges of a cold for the last couple of days...so far keeping it a bay, but just getting that "here it comes' feeling.. slight sore throat, dull ache and moody feeling. So, I have been pumping Vit C and echinnacea for the last couple of days.

SO, I guess I can get dressed and go over to the gym earlier than I anticipated, I think I am going to focus on cardio there cause my shoulders and low back are feelin achey this morning... I need a built in massage therapist..hard to massage myself, and even tho I have shown DH a few techniques, he just doesnt get it. He treats everything like his truck. Lol.. I say to him, I am not a steering wheel, slow down!

Anyhoooos, hoping everyone has a great day!
Love and Laughter,
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

Good Morning Everyone!!
Wel, I started the day out with an interesting breakfast:
2 good slices of LC meatloaf, one topped with cheddar, the other with shredded parmesan, nuked 'til melted... mada a "sauce'? out of 2tsp of sour cream with a 1 tsp. of TJ's red pepper w/ eggplant & garlic spread spooned on..VERRY TASTY!!
next time, i'll throw in some Sambal Olek, for little zing!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:40

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good Morning!

my mum is doing better, she is home now and my sis is taking care of her today, since alot of schools are out! Thanks for all of your support! We went up to Rapid for the weekend, I was NOT very good yesterday, but I did some damage control, I just lOVE Pizza, Well we went out to the hills to visit my daughter and brought that with breadsticks ect,.. well I did have a few slices of the thin and crispy, NO breadsticks I DID want more, but I just drank water and after alittle bit WAS satisfied!! in my HC days I would of ate 5 or more slices along with 2 or more breadsticks! (I know... I know.. I can eat my dh under the table if I let myself!!) Infact, If I let myself I could eat a medium by myself! (HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!!!)

Bawdy,glad that you had a good workout! That is what I like about you, You have a tenacious spirit, you eat chips, but the next day 1 hour workouts! And you are always researching and the best thing is that you are so good about sharing and helping us all here! The seminar sounds interesting, Now if we can APPLY these steps! (sorda like having an exercise equipment that doubles for a great clothes hanger!)

Elaine,I think that is great on how you are being so on fire and consistanly exercising!! I am still waiting for my parts to come in, (this week they say!) but for now I am still using my tapes!

I am up one pound today, but I am not worried with the pizza incident and all!

Well I have got to go and finish chores, I will try to get back on later as I have ran out of time to type to everyone!!

Wendy, GOOD to see you post!!

Orang, Thanks for your help!
HELLO to everyone else!

Marnie HEY THERE!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:54

Plan: Basic Lo Carb
Stats: 270/236/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%

Yep read the basic Protien Power book. I borrowed it from a friend who lost 140 lbs on it. She's now maintained it for several years and basically eats like a normal (skinny) person. Iv'e struggled with my weight since getting married and having kids. My highest was around 300 (I think) and was in a TIGHT size 28. Over the years I got down to around 270 and wore a 22 which is where I was in Sept. I started out low cal and got down to 243 where I've been stuck at since before Christmas. I'm currently in a size 18. I started PP on Valentines day and now am at 239. I normally only weigh in on Tuesdays, but wanted to see if I was making any progress (you know how that goes). My brother in law is getting married in June so I'd really LOVE to be in a size 14 for that. Hoping that is a realistic goal. I work out with hubby 3 times a week at the gym doing cardio/weightlifting.

Now the personal life stuff! I've been married going on 14 years to a wonderful man. We have 2 kids aged 12(boy) and 8(girl). Can't forget the other babies, our cat and a 9 month old chocolate Lab. I'm currently in school working towards becoming a Paramedic. I will be getting my Basic EMT hopefully sometime in May (whenever they schedule the National Resistry Exam) then it's on the EMT Intermediate School THEN after that finishing up to get my Medic. So I guess my life is my family..going to school and trying to get this weight off.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:34

BF:

Meg, one of my dearest friends is an EMT and also rides as a QR team for the local fire co. She has a full time job so isn't going to do the Paramedic thing but good for you!!!

Hi Lissette, you sound much better today. Yes, the exercise fiend just finished her 4 mile WATP tape.Yikes!!

I'm off to the doc to get my Rx for my 6 month bloodwork for thyroid, lipids, hormones, etc. I'm pretty sure my gyn copied him on my reports so he has to know I am having my "Selected Internal Organs Going Out of Business Sale/Nothing Held Back" next month.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:51

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Day one of induction completed! Here is how I did:

B - 2 eggs made into an omlette with a small amount of cheddar cheese and a small amount of green pepper, 4oz lean ham, 12 oz coffee w/ 2 TBS H&H and liquid splenda

S - 1 string cheese

S - 1 baked chicken thigh w/skin seasoned with essence

D - 3 oz grilled beef tenderloin, 1 3 oz grilled pork chop, 1 cup salad greens w/ 1.5 TBS light Ranch dressing, 1 can diet Rite

S - 1 chicken thigh w/skin

Also drank 1.5 liters of flavored water sweetened w/splenda

This morning I had 2 eggs fried in a 1 tsp butter and 4 slices of bacon. I am finding that eating a large breakfast keeps me full until dinner time. The peice of chicken I had as a snack was really close to dinner. I have also been running to the bathroom every five minutes! I have probably lost about 2 pounds of water. I added a salt subsistute this am for some extra potassium. I cannot take supplements because I am on BP meds. I am feeling pretty good and very motivated! I was going to try the gym today but I think maybe tomorrow. I don't want to push it too fast, my muscles need some time to adjust or I will wake up cramping again. I am also thinking about purchasing some tapes, Pillates and WATPs for days at home when I can't get to the gym.

I have also been talking with DH about why I am re-inducting and the mistakes I have made trying to maintain. Better to catch it at a few pounds ( 5 based on the doctors scale 12 Jan) than to wait until I can't fit in any of my clothes. For me, it was too many indulgences and too many legal bread products. Bread is my weakness. That wonderful pumpkin bread....I have been eating an average of 3-4 slices a day!! Also the Atkins bagels. 3 slices of pumpkin bread and 1 atkins bagel in the same day is way too much!! So as of yesterday I reafirm my dedication to this WOE and will try to better so that this will be the last induction I will ever do!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:43

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

meat only day for me today.....and LOTS of water
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:45

BF:

Ellie, we're so alike in many ways. Bread does me in every time. Your pumpkin (and other) breads always sound so good, but I know I could never stop at just one slice. Good for you for figuring it out.

Also, the idea of nipping it in the bud at 5 pounds rather than when your clothes start getting tight is brilliant! When I started gaining again, I was totally oblivious. I had stopped weighing myself, and when my shorts that summer were suddenly too tight to wear, I assumed that they had shrunk in the wash.

Elaine (or anyone else who cares to chime in), how would you enter step aerobics into Fitday. There's not a regular entry for that. I found "marching, rapidly, miliatary" that burns 6.29 calories per minute. There's also "walking up stairs, climing a ladder" that burns 7.74 calories per minute. I'm thinking that the "walking up stairs" is probably closer to the mark. Thoughts?