Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Perplexing question of the day...

Hey, what the heck is polydextrose, and do you count the carbs in it? I looked at the 'truth about low carb sweetners' link, and figured yes, you do count them... but then today, when i was looking at the nutritional info on the back of my Atkins advantage bar, it has 11g of polydextrose, and yet it says to only count the bar as 2 carbs?? What is the deal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 20:09
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I'm not sure...I wouldn't worry about it. Glycerin and fiber are deducted to get your net carbs with the bars.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 20:09
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

Good question..I'm not sure myself, other than to tell you "poly" means "many", and "dextrose", "sugar"..but not sure about the 2 net carbs as it relates to that..I'm curious about that also..
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 20:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriegirl
Hey, what the heck is polydextrose, and do you count the carbs in it? I looked at the 'truth about low carb sweetners' link, and figured yes, you do count them... but then today, when i was looking at the nutritional info on the back of my Atkins advantage bar, it has 11g of polydextrose, and yet it says to only count the bar as 2 carbs?? What is the deal?

I think that Atkins doesn't count it in their net carb count as it has such a low Glycemic Index, 5, so it doesn't affect blood sugars.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/...1/article.jhtml
Polydextrose is comprised of 90% soluble fiber and contains only 1 calorie/g as compared to 4 calories/g for typical carbohydrates. It is a non-digestible polysaccharide composed of randomly cross-linked glucose. It is highly soluble and neutral tasting, making it one of the most versatile fibers available. Its low impact on viscosity and flavor allow a significant level of fiber to be added to a product without negative sensory impact. In fact, polydextrose can even help minimize off-notes contributed by high-intensity sweeteners, soy, vitamins, minerals and other nutritional supplements.

Polydextrose is not digested in the upper gastrointestinal (GD tract and is partially fermented in the lower GI tract, making it a beneficial ingredient for digestive health. The physiological benefits of polydextrose include increased fecal bulk, reduced transit time, lower fecal pH and reduced concentration of putrefactive substances in the colon. Polydextrose's prebiotic effects help promote growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria, while fermentation in the large intestine yields short-chain fatty acids, including butyrate. Improved GI function has been demonstrated with a daily intake of 4-12g of polydextrose without adverse effects.

Another benefit to choosing polydextrose as a fiber-enriching ingredient for dairy foods is that polydextrose is metabolized independenfly of insulin, which makes it suitable for diabetics. A glycemic index of about 5 (compared to 65 for sucrose) makes polydextrose suitable for developing dairy products with a lower glycemic load. The glycemic index of a food is a measured response of blood sugar levels after intake. The control of blood sugar levels helps to moderate intake of food and promote satiety. Products containing polydextrose that have a reduced glycemic load are desirable for low-carbohydrate dieters.

Polydextrose is well tolerated at a mean intake of 90 g/day and 50g in a single serving with no adverse gastrointestinal effect. Thus it can be used at relatively high levels enabling fiber nutrient content claims.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 20:46

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Wow thanks Dodger - that is a lot of info!! Sometimes it is hard to keep all these sweetners straight!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 21:40
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ht=polydextrose

Quote:
From this website:

http://www.gdfii.com/producte-7.htm

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Polydextrose (FDA 21 CFR ¡ì 172.841), a bulking agent, is widely accepted as an essential ingredient for diet foods in near fifty countries around the world.

Generally, polydextrose is used as a substitute for sugar or fats in various foods, which claim to be low calorie, low sugar, low fat, low cholesterol and low salt, such as ice cream, bakery products, snacks, confectionary and beverages. It is popular to serve as a dietary fiber in functional beverages in Asia markets, especially in Japan. It is also an ideal ingredient for diabetic diet. Food manufactures are willing to introduce polydextrose in their products because it can adjust viscosity and ice point, improve water holding capacity, texture and mouthfeel, and provide the necessary bulk.

Polydextrose, white or milky white noncrystalline powder, is a polymer of D-glucose with some bound sorbitol and citric acid. It is very soluble in water with solubility of over 70% and its 10% solution has pH value of 2.5¡«3.5 without any unfavorable odor. It becomes transparent melt when heated above 130¡æ. Its very low caloric value, only 1 kcal/g, makes it quite attractive to health-conscious consumers.

Polydextrose has been evaluated to be safe in 32 types of toxicological tests of five kinds of animals and voluntary human tests of eight persons. It has no limits of ADI required in FAO/WHO JECFA or EC/SCF and is recognized as a food ingredient by Ministry of Health and Welfare of Japan, who has also confirmed that the definition of dietary fiber is applicable to polydextrose.