Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Low Carb Cereals and Milk

Well, I recently went into the superwalmart and got some of the Hood Low Carb Milk that I've heard so much about. I also went into GNC and got some Atkins Blueberry Morning Start cereal. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with these products as far as stalls or other negative reactions. I'm doing the ongoing weight loss phase right now and eat about 25-30g carbs per day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:37

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

As you're on OWL now you owe it to yourself to experiment a little. No one can tell you what will happen to you...it's your body and we all react differently to different things. Personally I'd try it and see what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 14:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I use the lowcarb milk on soy based cereal. I'm still losing weight. But yeah, no one can tell you what will work for you. Try it!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 17:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/151/120 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 44%

I keep staring at my box of All-Bran, but high fructose corn syrup is 7th in the list of ingredients (between baking soda and coloring), 1/2 cup serving total carb count 20, fibre 13, sugar 0, other carbohydrates 7.

Guess I'll keep staring at it.....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 19:31

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've had Soy Slender Vanilla on Keto Crisp Cereal...But, I'm out of Keto Crisp right now and all the store had in stock last I checked was the Cocoa Crisp version. A serving of Keto Crisp is about 3g of Carbs, with NO Sugar Alcohols. Their Frosted Flakes OTOH have about 4g of Maltitol per serving. They have a slight cardboard texture. But, after years of eating Rice Cakes and other LF Frankenfoods, I don't seem to mind.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 19:54

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieT
I keep staring at my box of All-Bran, but high fructose corn syrup is 7th in the list of ingredients (between baking soda and coloring), 1/2 cup serving total carb count 20, fibre 13, sugar 0, other carbohydrates 7.

Guess I'll keep staring at it.....

Actually, the amount would be very easy to figure out because Baking Soda contains Sodium. Take the amount of Sodium and figure that for every 274mg of Sodium in the Cereal, there is <1g of Baking Soda. Since ingredients are listed in descending order, if Baking Soda appears before HFCS, there would have to be less HFCS than Baking Soda. Based on the typical amount of Baking Soda in Biscuits, there'd be <0.625g of HFCS per serving.

Code:
Sodium Content -------------- > Quantity of Baking Soda 0.274 Sodium Content -------------- > Quantity of Salt 0.388

Sodium Content is in milligrams (mg) and Baking Soda/Salt Content is in grams (g.)

Last edited by cc48510 : Sun, Feb-15-04 at 19:56.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:00

Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%

I use Carb Countdown myself, milk, that is. As for cereal, I eat Total Protein,which has 8 grams of carbs per serving. It is very good cereal, not like other low carb cereals I have tried in the past.
Belle
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I really like the blueberry bounty from ATkins. JKeto flakes just had to much soy taste to me. The Atkins one gets nice and soggy. The almond cereal is less interesing.

Lately I have been making my own flax cereal instead though and loving it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 12:47

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I tried the Atkins Banana Nut cereal with the Carb Countdown milk. It was good, but since I really don't have a cereal jones like I used to, I haven't bought new stuff.

Didn't make me hungry or any other signs that it was too many carbs.