Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 21:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/275/185 Male 5feet,10 inches
BF:40/35/10
Progress: 5%
Default Skip Induction??

Hi there, the other day when I was thinking about trying low carb again I started wondering if I would last longer than a few days on this diet if I skipped induction. Before everyone starts jumping on me about Ketone production let me explain. Eventually as the diet continues you add back more carbs again, right? At that point you may be up to 40-50 or more grams a day and still losing weight. Even with the higher carb totals you must still be producing ketones.So since you can still lose weight eating more carbs why not just start out with 50 carbs a day and see what happens? Please note, I am aware that you are supposed to start with less than 20 grams a day and add more until you stop losing weight. But realistically eating 50 or 60 grams of carbs daily is only 200 or 240 calories instead of 80. Not much if you eat 2000 plus calories a day. Please let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 22:02

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well I do believe that some can do well just cutting out the white stuff, IF they treat it like a plan, but most of us need a plan to follow.

Induction is meant to break habits.

Calories really don't come in to Low carb eating, so the 200 or so really has no bearing.

If it is because you are afraid you can not stick to induction, then what is to say you will stick to staying away from all the forbidden foods within that 50 carbs aday?

Maybe it would be time well spent to read the Link to the right: Which Low carb diet is for me? You might find one that is easier to live with.

Good luck in which ever you decide to do.

Cheers Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 23:31

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

There are plans other than Atkins that are still lower carb. Maybe read up on some of those and you'll find one that fits you better. Good luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't know but I believe induction made a major change in me. My appetite went away, and quite frankly after 4 weeks I have stayed on induction because it is so easy to follow. I have experienced no desire to increase carbs. You may be doing yourself an injustice by not trying induction. I am sure Dr. Atkins has a medical reasoning for his induction, I can only state, "Try It, You'll Like It."
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 15:34
Registered Member

Stats: 139/129/122 Female 62 inches
BF:!!!????
Progress: 59%

I will just reiterate what everyone else has said. Maybe the Atkin's plan is not for you.... and perhaps you may need to find another low carb diet without so many restrictions. BUT then again, what you are saying is true, after induction you keep adding carbs till you stop losing. Most people find that carb number to be around 50-70. So you may not lose like you want if you start carbing at 50. It is a toss up. Let us know what you decide and if it does indeed work for you.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 19:10
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

Induction allowed me to balance my blood/sugar level by breaking both a sugar & carb. addiction. Induction is part of Atkins, but there are many other types of LC dieting in addition .
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 19:33

Stats: 280/275/185 Male 5feet,10 inches
BF:40/35/10
Progress: 5%

Thanks for the input. I hate induction and anyway around it would be a blessing since I usually only last 3-4 days before a binge. It's hard when you have a family who eats potatoes and pasta while you are eating bacon and eggs and hamburger patties. I always start off so gung ho and before long I lose my enthusiasm for low carb foods. Especially in the morning when my son eats pancakes or cereal and I feel like something sweet. I think this diet is easier if you are single!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 19:53
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

carboman..
I hear you when it comes to family member who aren't LCing...I just keep my eye on the prize!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 21:54

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well you have to think of it, as you are doing this for yourself................. and that not having what everyone else is having, is not being deprived, let them eat the stuff that you know will only add to your weight problem.
I cook for a family of skinny guys everyday, it's worth the effort to make your meals within what they are having just not the starch. Plus make yours more appealling. Search the recipe thread here and get some Ideas.
It kind of sounds like your talking yourself out of doing the plan? If your not ready to commit, you are only setting yourself up to fail, right?? I think we have all been there at one time.
Good luck Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 01:42

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Have alook at the poll I posted about peoples' CCLL. It seems many of them have a very low CCLL and never really get to OWL. Thi is why you should start low and work your way up.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=161966
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 06:16

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with Kathy. When you are really, truly ready to commit, those pancakes, etc, just won't tempt you--or, if they do, it will be easy to resist when you remind yourself of your goals and how that stupid, measly pancake will set you back.

I'm a mom of 3 boys: #1 son: 14 years old, 6 feet tall, 130 lbs, #2 son: 13 years old, 5'6", 110lbs, #3 son: 6 years old, 4'5" and 60 lbs

plus, my DH is 6'5" and 185lbs

Think about what these guys eat and who is doing the grocery shopping and 90+% of the food prep at our house!! Talk about temptation!!!

But, my determination will get me thru. Yours will too, when you're ready