Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 12:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

you've lost 25lbs?!? that's amazing! keep up the good work...

and yeah, i can't believe people out there who are so unread about the atkins lifestyle. now that i can make donald's pizza quiche, and there's low carb ice cream -- there's no need to go back to regular junk food eating -- it's just not worth it! why can't they understand?!?! you know??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 13:40
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Just to play the devil's advocate.:I think the author's point may be that people go into to the diet thinking they're gonna drop 20-30 pounds the first month. I know I did.....before reading the book. It is a fallacy. People with more weight to lose often lose alot more faster. Any small modifactions tend to help shed the pounds when people are very overweight. That's even on low fat. I remember women would lose 10 pounds the first week of WW....but they had 70+ to lose. I think that it is important to note that low carb is not a quick fix. The way you feel after eating and the enjoyment of good foods without feeling guilty should be the focus of going on a low carb diet....not to mention all the other medical benefits...i.e lower cholesterol,etc. I'm just saying. Sometimes us lowcarbers can be on the defense when things are said contrary to the diet,especially when we are losing alot fast. Believe me, there's some rough roads ahead. It works for me and I'm sticking with it. I'm not overly sensitive if someone says something ignorant like I used to be....because I understand that it's just that: IGNORANCE. If I can educate when possible,I do....otherwise I say nothing. I'm letting these pounds shed talk for me. Just my two cents.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 15:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not surprised that people are saying "been there, done that". That's the way American culture is -- one fad after another. Interest in LC probably reached a peak when all the restaurants started offering LC options but sooner or later interest in LC will taper off. There won't be so many LC products available and LC will get less publicity. But many, many people have been successful at losing weight and KEEPING IT OFF. I may lose a few more pounds but even if I don't I feel great and will never go back to eating a high carb diet. There are so many benefits beyond losing weight.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/263/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I'm not so sure this article is really anti-low-carb. I think it is pointing out the fact that many people go into the WOE uniformed and quickly abondon it when they don't get what they were looking for. Personally, it's taken me 6 weeks to get the 20 lb loss mark, but I researched before I started and understand the process.
I also agree that a many may actually come away with a far better understanding of what is in foods today, particularly things like sugar and flour.