Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Does atkins make you aggressive?
Yes 10 11.36%
No 78 88.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:38

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Throwing a cat amongst the pigeons!

Recently I have been feeling quite aggressive since going on atkins. After some research on the internet I found the following journal which studied the effect of high protein diets on dogs. Ok. Humans are not dogs, but 90% of professional biopsychological research is carried out in nonhuman animals (primates, canines, etc) before being transferred to humans. Maybe the following article may shed some light on anyone's symptoms of aggression?

"Many authors have suggested that high protein rations may have a role to play in aggressive behaviour in dogs but only a few scientific studies have been performed to demonstrate the benefits of low protein diets.

Why should dietary protein affect aggressive behaviour ?

It is known that some amino acid concentrations in the brain (eg tryptophan) can affect behaviour and cause aggression . Amino acids are the primary chemical units that are linked together to form proteins and many are essential nutrients that must be supplied by the diet. Altering the type and amount of protein intake can increase or decrease specific amino acid availability.

It is known that high ammonia concentrations in the blood can affect the brain and cause aggression. Ammonia is a nitrogen-containing breakdown product following protein metabolism, and its blood concentrations increase in some forms of disease eg liver disease and a vascular abnormality called a portocaval shunt

In conclusion, there is a definite correlation between high protien diets and aggression; and this should be taken into account when reviewing human and nonhuman dietry requirements."

Now, I'm not an atkins hater, as you may be thinking, but I really do want to do it and stick to it. But the aggression has been causing too many problems with my social life and I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light whether they have been experiencing it too!

Alena
P.S sounds like we should put our pets on a veggie diet, and they will become calmer!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quite the opposite for me, I no longer fly off the handle at my teens, I can't beleive the new patience I have since Low Carb'n.

Maybe you are still kind of going through High Carb withdrawals?

Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Can't say as I've felt any change whatsoever. Still Ms. Mellow. You might want to get your thyroid checked though. When I was hyper-thyroid my temper/agressiveness went way up! Also, I noticed that exercising a lot makes me more agressive.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:12

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

The total opposite. I used to get angry and snappy in the mornings. Now, with blood sugars all stable, I'm fine.

(I might add that the thought of people forcing naturally carnivorous animals like cats and dogs onto a vegitarian diet is enough to make me aggressive though )

Last edited by RCFletcher : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 11:15.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:15
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Sounds like typical carb withdrawal symptoms to me.....they pass and you start feeling great. This has nothing to do with protein.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:29
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

As a former vegetarian, I am much calmer eating this way than I was before, and feel better overall.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

If the cat you threw among the pigeons was a natural vegetarian there wouldn't be a problem would there?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:38

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Maybe you are mourning the food that gave you joy .Depression does increase aggression in some case.
Pene
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It sounds like they made the jump from "high protein diet" to liver damage or other condition which might raise blood ammonia levels. Not the same thing.

Besides, Atkins isn't a high protein diet. It's a high fat diet. The protein content shouldn't increase that much unless you were eating very little before.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:26

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I want to go on record as being solidly opposed to all forms of cat throwing!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 23:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Back in the day, Sinbad-the comedian-had a short lived sitcom. The only episode that I can recall is one where there was a highclass dinner party that was attended by high-class, wealthy African-Americans. At the party the guests were nibbling on watercress and cucumber sandwiches. This put Sinbad over the edge and he Yelled "BLACK FOLKS GOTTA HAVE MEAT!!!!".

So I think that watercress sandwiches causes agressive behavior .

Black57
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 01:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I started low-carbing, I went through a whole range of emotions because I couldn't use my favourite drug - sugar - to keep them at bay. It took a while, but I started to learn to live without my drug of choice. I've never been happier or saner. It's quite possible that you are using food in the same way that I was.

I have two dogs and they eat a biologically appropriate diet that is primarily protein. They're middle aged, in great health, and not aggressive.

THis is the link that the quote in your first post was taken from

http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/he...naggression.htm

What's odd is that it says this

It is known that some amino acid concentrations in the brain (eg tryptophan) can affect behaviour and cause aggression

then turns around and says this

A ration supplemented with the amino acid tryptophan may be helpful in managing dogs with dominance aggression or territorial aggression

Protein foods from animal sources are the best sources of tryptophan.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Fri, Feb-13-04 at 02:10.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 06:36

Stats: 203/197/176 Male 188 cm
BF:
Progress:

Researches related to high protein consumption made on dogs are very relevant, as everyone knows, dogs are very well known because of their agriculture related knowledge and skills!!!
Modern dogs do not eat meat, sniffing in backyards for fresh vegies and friuts....
:-)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:20

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
I want to go on record as being solidly opposed to all forms of cat throwing!

Me too!

Several studies have tried to make the meat/aggression connection. Aside from the fact that predators eat meat, I don't see where this train of thought gets started. ALL mammals can be aggressive when it comes to protecting their babies, for instance, and it has nothing to do with what they eat.

Aggression is far more a dimension of personality. If you get over carb withdrawal and find it is still a problem, you might try working on it as a perception problem. Aggression stems from the desire to MAKE others or things cooperate because of a lack of percieved other options. But there are ALWAYS other options, you just need to seek them out and apply them.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:27

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

The protein keeps my sugat stable. Low sugar causes me to be snappy.