Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 215/212.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:too/drn/mch
Progress: 3%
Default Low Blood Sugar

i went to the doctors yesterday for my blood work results. He said i had low blood sugar on the test. didn't give me any idea as to what i am supposed to do. does anyone else have low blood sugar and how are you handling being on atkins? any info?

Blessings and hugs
Ellie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 07:35
Registered Member

I forgot to say that he said I needed a total life style change. Diet, excercise, new hobby that I enjoy. Any ideas on this one will be appreciated too!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have low blood sugar. Hypoglycemia is caused by the cells of the body do not absorb sugar like they should. As insulin works overtime to "shove" the sugar into the cells it will spike. This spike in insulin will cause a drastic drop in sugar. Symptoms can be headaches, shakiness, even itchy skin. Sudden hunger is a sign that the body is looking for nourishment and often the "victim" eats more carbs which causes the cycle to re-occur. Hpoglycemia is insulin resistance and is a shadow of things to come, namely diabetes.

By reducing my carbohydrates, drastically, I have balanced my blood sugar and insulin. I am no longer continuously hungry nor do I suffer from migraines. I have not had any symptoms of an insulin spike and a drop in glucose ( sugar ). Protein slows the ability of glucose absorbtion into the blood stream. With the insulin being balanced there is another hormone that is produced called glucagon. Glucagon helps to "sweep" out sludge such as fats and cholesterol. My cholesterol and triglycerides are outstanding. I have lost 26 lbs last year. I need to lose 12 more lbs. to reach my weight-loss goal. All-in-all, the food pyramid needs to be changed. It has cause more probllems than it has solved.
Fats also contribute to improved glucose/insulin levels and blood lipids. Without this dietary change, I would still be hypoglycemic and I be putting on weight.

I would like to reccommend that you read the book Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Protein Power is another publication that is very helpful in understanding the scientific portion of this diet. I have both books.

I exercise 3xs a week at Curves. It is affordable and the low impact workouts really help to lose inches and weight. I am a musician and music educator so, of course, I recommend music as a hobby. Don't worry if you don't thiink that you have music talent. Talent is just a small portion in music. Playing music is therapeutic and can help in healing in yourself and in others.

Good Luck,
Black57
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

My daughter was told she had low blood sugar and the doctor suggested more protein in her diet. So we've added snacks of protein type foods, nuts, cheese, etc. We found some babybel cheeses that are little round discs 3/4 of an oz, and they are perfect to toss in your purse. You just peel the was off and eat. Also string cheese. You could also carry those little bags of peanuts or make your own bag of some mixed nuts (easy on the cashews, high carbs).

She is doing very well with this and she knows she must have protein with each meal.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:18
Registered Member

Thanks Black57. I have Dr. Atkins' new book Diet Revolution and will go back and reread it. I guess I just paniced when I thought that I was going to have to change my diet yet again. I like Atkins, and even though my weight loss is slow, I am losing inches. I am going to start on my tredmill this week. Slowly at first, then up it everyday.

I love music. I can carry a tune and although I'm not "in shape" I would love to dance. I would have never thought of these if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks again.

Hugs and blessings
Ellie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I would like to reccommend that you read the book Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution.
In other words, Take a gander at the DANDR!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:24

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

If your doc didn't give you any idea what to do about, why don't you call him back and ask?

Squid
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:25

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about 3 years ago....went and took the 6 hour test and thought I was going to die! This was in conjuction with some problems I had been having with depression, by the way! The doc that gave me the test was a psychiatrist!!! Anyway...he gives me this sheet of paper that has directions and a list of foods on it that I can eat and those I need to stay away from...well...it lasted about 3 days.

Two years later I finally cave and read DANDR....guess what? It is the EXACT same diet my doc gave me to get the hypo under control!!!! Within the two week induction period my husband started noticing that I wasn't as moody, depressed or critical as before...and it's just continued to get better. I also suffered from MANY other hypo symptoms and they are all cleared up. DANDR has a whole section (maybe chapter) on hypoglycemia. I was just rereading it last night as a matter of fact. Go read it right now....then reread the rest of the book and know that you can stick with this woe and you're hypo will be healed!!!

You unwittingly (or blessedly) chose the EXACT diet you needed!!! Congratulations!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:32

Plan: non strict Atkins - don't
Stats: 160/129/132 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress: 111%

Add me to the list of those that actually feels better doing atkins. No more headaches and huge sugar spikes and drops.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:12

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4ellie
Thanks Black57. I have Dr. Atkins' new book Diet Revolution and will go back and reread it. I guess I just paniced when I thought that I was going to have to change my diet yet again. I like Atkins, and even though my weight loss is slow, I am losing inches. I am going to start on my tredmill this week. Slowly at first, then up it everyday.

I love music. I can carry a tune and although I'm not "in shape" I would love to dance. I would have never thought of these if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks again.

Hugs and blessings
Ellie

Dancing is my favorite exercise. I used to go out with my girls every weekend to get my groove-on, after seperating from my first husband. You say you can carry a tune, great. Now you have a start.

Good luck to ya,
Black57