Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 20:06

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Any ex-atkiners here?

Hi there!
I began Atkins last june and I really like that woe...However my lipid profile got very bad so I want to shift plans and since SBD is still low carb and cut out saturated fats seems like a nice plan for me.
I would like to know if there's any ex-atkiners here so they can share their experience with the shift...any weight gain ? Do you started with phase I or you go directly to phase II?
Comments, suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/198/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi, I was also on Atkins. After Christmas I couldn't get back into the swing of things. I'm on SBD now.

I'm on Phase I. I started 3 weeks ago. I had friends cone from out of town and cheated. I restarted last week , and lost 4 pounds. This week it's my birthday and Valentines... cheat cheat cheat. I don't go all out and cheat , just little cheats. Next week I have surgery, so I really won't know how I'm actually doing on the diet till next month. When I get into normal mode.

I wish you luck. Keep in touch.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/198/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 17%

BTW: I see your from Costa Rica.... I live in Miami. I was born in Cuba. Do you speak spanish?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:02

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm thinking about switching. I bought the book yesterday and I have been reading it. I'm not sure if I agree with the whole saturated fat view but, I think part of my problem is that I eat too many calories throughout the day. Calories in my eyes DO matter so by cutting out some saturated fat I will be cutting out some calories so I'm willing to give this a try.

Wee
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:20

BF:

Hi there!
To be absolutely honest, I was in a mindframe of: "If I can't have the carbs, give me the fat!" and my eating preferences fit Atkins very much...I could honestly stick to it the rest of my life...Problem was my bad results in lipid profile so my SBD detour has been a kind of obligated one...
I ordered the book last week but hasn't arrived yet! I'm looking forward to receive it so I can began the plan!
Zuleka, of course I speak spanish! Feel free to visit my journal whenever you want. I would love to share the frustrations and success of this journey with someone who speaks my own language...It's often difficult for me to vent in english!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeOne
Calories in my eyes DO matter so by cutting out some saturated fat I will be cutting out some calories so I'm willing to give this a try.

Wee

In my case, fat really helps me to be on track...so I'm afraid of reduce my fat intake AND incorporate some other carbs instead. Oh well, I'll give it a nice try!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (P2)
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm a former Atkins, former South Beacher who is now trying to do a hybrid between the two. I've found that for me (and YMMV on this), when I eat a lot of saturated fat, I stall out. And when I eat some of the stuff that you are allowed on SB (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc), I also stall out. So, I've combined the two to get the best of both worlds - I eat lots of low-fat, low-carb stuff. Lots of fresh vegetables, chicken, and fish. Some fruit a few times a week. It's been working really well so far. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:11

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Dora, I know when I eat higher fat I eat less and yes that keeps me on track. So I do plan on eating good fats on SB. I am going to stir fry things in olive oil like crazy and eat salads dressing and mayo made with canola oil to keep my fats up enough to keep me satisfied. Adding carbs is a scary thing for me. I'm going to start this on Monday so I'm mentally preparing myself.

Kimmer - that is an interesting approach and something that I will definately keep in mind. I do know that if I start eating brown rice, I'll allow white rice, then potatoes then I'm right back to where I started.

Could you please post a typical day's worth of meals. I'm very interested. Also, do you eat LC breads or do you stick to the more natural breads that are lower because they have a lot of fiber. (Sorry if that sounds confusing) Do you eat the LC yogurt or regular?

Thank you.

Wee
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 17:55
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

Thanks for the post I was wondering myself if anyone was switching or combining. I am trying to combine because I like the carb limitations but SB seems to be more heart healthy so I am confused at the moment. I will keep on reading and hopefully find the way to go.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 19%

I switched. I didn't do so well on Atkins, presumably because of all the fat. Weight loss was reeeeeallly slow. IMO SB is healthier. Just my 2¢.

Actually, I didn't switch--not technically, anyway. I gave up on Atkins, then after the holidays I went on SB.

WeeOne, if you check out my journal you will find some of my daily menus.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 14:38

Plan: On the beach
Stats: 184/171/140 Female 5 ft 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Atkins ended, SB to begin!!

I just did a post too about it. I look forward to learning more!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:29

BF:

Emagine, good luck!
I'm looking forward to receive the book so I can join!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (P2)
Stats: 250/215/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 35%

A typical daily menu for me:
Breakfast - egg beaters scrambled with green and red peppers, pepper, and a bit of cheese (the 2% kind - it has less fat but melts pretty well, unlike the icky low-fat stuff), or occasionally a low-carb muffin (I keep them on hand in case I'm running late, but they're a bit higher in fat than I'd like)
Lunch - Big green salad with Romaine lettuce (it has much more in the way of nutrients than Iceberg), peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and occasionally a little bit of chicken. Tossed with zero carb, zero calorie dressing. Sometimes, a little bit of 1% cottage cheese along with it.
Snack - cucumbers dipped in hummus, a tomato with salt and pepper, or a piece of fruit (a small apple, a pear, or a few strawberries)
Dinner - A piece of chicken (I found a wonderful recipe for tequila chicken that I make pretty frequently) or fish (seasoned with whatever I have around), a serving of vegetables (usually broccoli or cauliflower), and if I'm going to work out that evening, I'll have a small serving of whole-grain couscous (gotta have energy).
After dinner - A piece of fruit (if I didn't have one earlier in the day), or if I'm dying for chocolate, a sugar-free fudgsicle.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 23:22
Registered Member

Plan: Former Atkins/Present South Beach
Stats: 277/272/199 Female 69
BF:51/51/<35
Progress: 6%

I haven't officially started the SBD yet. I'm using this weekend to
prepare the kitchen and the mind. I'm jumping ship from Atkins. I've
been on Atkins since the beginning of the year and am just not
getting the results I want. I love the low carb (controlled carb,
low glycemic, etc.) lifestyle. I feel better than I have in a long
time. I'm off antidepressants. I have energy that I never had
before. But something just wasn't jiving right with Atkins for me or
hubby. We were actually putting on weight. We talked about it and
decided it was probably the sat fats we were eating and had already
decided to cut back on those when I ran into a friend who's been
doing SBD since August of last year and lost 40lbs. She had been on
Atkins before getting pregnant and after the baby came realized
there was just too many alarm bells going off to resume Atkins again.

This way of eating makes so much sense to me. I must admit I'm a
little worried about transitioning from Atkins to this. It seems a
bit more restrictive, but we are telling ourselves we are just doing
an induction type thing again...without the bad fats. It's going to
be strange not having to count carbs, though. I'll still be keeping
track of what I eat every day because I'm anal like that and am
trying to determine if I have a thyroid problem. I'm kind of pre-
freaked about Phase II as well. My head understands the reason
behind adding in those low GI carbs, but I'll be darned if my heart
isn't scared silly.

I'm glad to know there are others out there who are going through the same thing.

Good luck, everyone!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:41

BF:

Hi there!
I'm having troubles for the switch...lol! My mind was Atkins wise. I'm making a kind of transition. As Amy says, induction without saturated fats.
I don't have any need to add bread of any kind and feel a little scared to add more carbs...
I bought All Bran for breakfast but havent eat it yet. Sometimes I missed my brie cheese w/ coffee. Definetively SBD feels more like a diet for me. At least at this stage of the game. Hope that it becames more like a way of eating...
Keep in touch!