Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:26

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%
Post ATKINS company response to media and us

i am removing this..
sorry.. i am not going to be the one responsible for people allowing the media to change their views of atkins and then discuss him negatively.

Last edited by Aysiama : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 10:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:45
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Here is a link to more pictures of him.

A picture says it all........

Alina
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:46

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

OK, now I am confused. In his book, Atkins says that an appropriate weight is one that corresponds to a BMI of less than 25. Now this web site says 24-29 for older folks. I don't remember that being in his book. 29 can be quite overweight. I wonder what is up with this statement. Doesn't sit right with me. To tell you the truth, I was surprised at a weight of 195 even at 6 feet tall.

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:48

Last edited by Aysiama : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 10:08.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:50

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

BMI has a lot to do with age also.

I was so PO'd when I heard the account about Dr. Atkin's supposed obesity and crap...sometimes you just have to HATE the media for misinformation.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:59

BF:

I'm not saying Atkins was obese because his BMI clearly shows he was not. But I do know that at the same BMI as Atkins I still have quite a bit of fat left on my body and most definitely need to lose. My understanding of the BMI was that it took away issues such as body build and height and normalized it for all of us. So I still am confused about it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:02
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

There are many members on this very board who have 'too high' BMI because they work out a lot and have greater muscle mass.......
I think this whole 'media discussion' is disgusting....the man is dead.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:05

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think this quote by Frank Lloyd Wright is quite applicable: "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

BMI is bull basically. It is based on charts that doctors figure what people of your sex, age, and height should weigh. It doesn't take into account body types (long leggs usually weight less then long torsos I think) how musclular you are, bone density or a number of other things.

Get body fat tested and shoot for a healthy weight and body fat for you personally, not a healthy weight for a general faceless person.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:00

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Ignore all charts!

My dr advised me to ignore the BMI charts. They do not take muscle mass into account.

She used to be a professional rugby player is 5'7", 160 lbs in a size 10. She is borderline overweight according to these charts...but yet is only 24% body fat.

She told me about some women on her team were over 200 lbs...and would be considered obese...but were 18% body fat.

Body fat, measurements and your blood lipids are the important things to focus on.

Have a great day!
Natascha
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:20

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysiama
i am removing this..
sorry.. i am not going to be the one responsible for people allowing the media to change their views of atkins and then discuss him negatively.
Um ... HUH???
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 23:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysiama
i am removing this..

Where did this come from??? I don't let the media change my views for me. Nor is Atkins being discussed negatively.

There's nothing wrong in expressing confusion about an article and I found the BMI discussion that followed educational.

Anyone who blindly believes everything that proponents of this diet tell us is true is not being a wise consumer in my opinion. Point in case, look at all the supposedly low carb foods restaurants are selling that are turning out to be anything but.

The wise person questions and doesn't blindly accept everything as true!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:13

Frecklfluf and Squid..
I removed what I initially posted ,to start this discussion, because as Alina stated.. discussing the man's weight when he is dead is kind of disgusting.
I didnt mean anything bad by discussing it but others might not have thought so. I would have liked to remove the post totally but did what I thought was the next best thing.
True, the BMI discussion was good, but should have been put in a separate post.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300+/???/175 Female 68 inch
BF:more/than/enough
Progress: 7%
Smile

thanks for the quote about about typewriters and the media...so right on.

I have yet to hear a story on Atkin's and LC'ing that is correct. I am sure most, if not all, the reporters and commentators have never even read any of Dr. Atkin's books or they would stop with the same ol same ol...all that meat, bacon, and cheese just can't be good for you can it???? asked of someone who is equally as ignorant of the balance in this way of eating....sigh.

Now all we LC'ers are being duped by the beef industry and the LC products people to eat in a way that will kill us sooner rather than later....yet another bigger sigh. As if being overweight isn't problematic enough.

Of course then you have the grand idea that if you follow this way of eating and then go off of it you gain back all the weight you lost...excuse me but the same can be said for going off WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, or any other diet that I've ever followed and lost weight on...stop counting those points or buying those pre packaged meals and zoom my fat cells just have a major party

At least Mrs Atkin's had the courage to voice her outrage at private medical documents being given over to a vegetarian lobby group with an agenda that is not hidden...and the Dr. who gave them over is being reviewed by the medical board for breach of ethics. Yet the media has not really proclaimed any of this except very softly and in the way back pages...

off my soap box now but as an RN I was absolutely astounded at the way the media did a quantum leap that Dr A was obese at time of death and that was a contributing cause, because of his weight at autopsey....geeze anyone who has ever taken more than ASA knows lots of meds will help retain fluid like a sponge and believe me with someone in his condition they were using lots and lots of meds...I used to work in ER and ICU's...

ok ok I'm really done....thanks for the opportunity to vent

debra
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/140/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Alina and Asiyama, thank you for posting the link. The pictures say it all.