Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:31

Plan: SB
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5"10
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs down Comments while shopping...

I've been out shopping twice this week for LC-related stuff, and each time my cashier had to make some sort of a comment.

Yesterday I went to CVS and got some Atkins bars and other goodies. As I was checking out, the cashier kind of chuckled and said, "How did he die again?" So I told him about him slipping on ice and all that, and he replied, "Oh, I thought he had a heart attack". Whatever.

Today I had to pick up a prescription at my grocery store, and I noticed while walking through the store to the pharmacy that there was a big sale going on for the new Dannon LC yogurt. So I grabbed some and paid for it all at the pharmacy. The woman there looked to be about my age and she asked me "You're trying to lose weight?" with that incredulous tone in her voice. And I told her yes, I went from a 10 to a 16 in college and would like to get rid of some junk in the old trunk. I guess I should have been flattered since she was essentially saying "why in the hell do you need to lose weight", but still...am I going to have to put up with this everytime I buy LC stuff?

Geez....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just smile sweetly, and cuss quietly to yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:01

Stats: 247.5/226/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 18%

I KNOW! I’m constantly amazed at how people are not at all afraid to give an opinion on what I’m eating. It’s funny that when I did weight watchers and was buying up frozen dinners by the cart full not one person said a word. The guy at Burger King never commented (to my face at least) on the fact that I was ordering a double whopper with cheese and a KING SIZE fry. I’m not sure what makes Atkins fair game but I’ve been a target several times myself.

I try not to let it aggravate me (although, I have my days). I just try to answer any questions they may have. Not because what I eat is any of their business but because I’d like to do what I can to get the correct information out there.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:09
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Two things: no matter where you go you are going to encounter anti-Atkins sentiments. I usually just keep my mouth shut. The comment on "how did he die again?" was certainly uncalled for and rude -- if it were me, I might have had to reach back to my New Jersey roots and tell the woman to go f**k herself.

But the other thing is...getting thinner is the best revenge. I have had the cashiers at WalMart make comments about stuff I buy, and my most common response is, "yes, that's what I thought...30 pounds ago." That shuts them up.

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:51

Stats: 201/165.8/145 Female 5'9 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I have had the cashiers at WalMart make comments about stuff I buy, and my most common response is, "yes, that's what I thought...30 pounds ago." That shuts them up.
Priceless, Absolutely Priceless!!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:56

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Ramone
Today I had to pick up a prescription at my grocery store, and I noticed while walking through the store to the pharmacy that there was a big sale going on for the new Dannon LC yogurt. So I grabbed some and paid for it all at the pharmacy. The woman there looked to be about my age and she asked me "You're trying to lose weight?" with that incredulous tone in her voice.

To judge by what I can see of you in your avatar photo and my own experience at being the weight your profile says...you probably don't look like you need to lose any weight at all. I remember being like that...no one thought I needed to lose weight, but I knew I did, because I was the only one who saw me naked.

But still, yeah...don't be upset about it. She was basically telling you that you look good!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:01
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Whenever someone casts doubt on my purchases I just say, "Hey! You're right - throw some candy bars, beer and cigarettes in the bag, too. What was I thinking?"
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:05
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I guess I am lucky. the only time a cashier ever commented was once at CVS I was buying some low carb stuff and 3 more atkins books (I hand them out to family members who keep asking me questions and making comments or ask what types of foods I an eat etc)

She commented on the books saying I am like the 30th person she saw that day buying the atkins book and they keep selling out and asked me if I was doing it etc.

We spoke about it and she was asking questions like isnt that the diet where you eat burgers without buns and weird foods like that. We chatted for a while and I suggested she pick up the book and read it and she said she will.

Other than that and one time a cashier at costco commented saying you must really love cheese since I was buying about 20lbs worth of cheese lol (I dont get to costco often and stock up when I have the chance) no one else has ever commented on what I eat. Then again most people around where I live arent all that chatty and tend to just avoid other people.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i figure they didnt care when i was carrying my extra 20 pounds around so why do they care how i lost it. i really dont pay much attention anymore to what people say, i have had to have blood work done recently for a life insurance policy change and i qualified for the elite rate because my bloodwork is so good, i have been taken completely off of high blood pressure medication which i have been on for 16 years since i was 18 so i just laugh to myself and say yes dont i look great in that size 5 bikini and no medication for health problems and they think im killing myself by eliminating processed foods from my life. just take it all in stride and smile to yourself cause you know how good your going to feel at your goal weight. Good luck and keep up the great work and attitude
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:27

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I find the best response to a nosy question is usually "why do you ask?" That puts them on the spot of having to explain their behavior to you instead of the other way around.

Of course, there's always the classic fall-back: "mind your own gawddam business!"
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:35

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

That's odd...all these negative responses. I mean I've had a few, but most 'comments while shopping' have been overwhelmingly positive...and almost never with the cashier. My lc discussions while shopping usually happen with other shoppers either asking me about the diet because they're thinking of trying it...or with other shoppers that I exchange success stories with...and last week a guy tried to use it as a pick-up line with me!!! I'm surprised at so many rude comments! They're probably just jealous. And I would have been tempted to fill out a comment card on the cashier that made the comment about Atkins' death. Whatever happened to the concept of customer service anyway?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:38

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

Geeze talk about nozy! How Rude! Would they dare ask you a question about your purchase if you were buying a feminine Hygiene product or a contraceptive???
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:38

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I have had the opposite happen. Often, when I am checking out with lc stuff I get positive comments. The cashier I go to fairly often at my local grocery store wants her daughter to come in and meet me and have me explain this woe to her! I enjoy the reactions I get now much more than the looks when I was buying ice cream or cookies at my old weight. I guess there will always be a few rude people but overall I have found some very friendly, complimentary ones thank goodness
Marie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 18:49

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I like it! Not that I've had any comments in the grocery store. But people who've seen me shrinking finally can't resist asking me how I did it.
I welcome it because I think most people have the same skepticism of "what we're told" as the rest of us. They want to hear from someone who's really tried it, to get the "real skinny."
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 21:23

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%

I would have asked the employee to let me speak to the manager and once that manager gets there I'd tell him to better train his employees on how to handle customers and later tell him they just lost a sale and walk out empty handed. That'll teach that big mouth of his! He's lucky if he doesnt get fired. Sorry, but I have my days and on a day like today (PMS) I'd surely tell them just that.

I swear I hate people like that even those who DO know about low carbing and act stupid like they dont. Just to give you a hard time and make you explain how you want something to order.Am I right or what?