Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question In Ketosis but not losing?

I could use some encouragement here, as I'm feeling a bit discouraged. So I'm venting a wee bit!

Is it possible to start off on induction and get into ketosis, and not have your body do a darn thing for a few weeks? I think my scale is busted so I haven't been using it, and I'm not feeling any change in my clothes.

On average, I eat anywhere from 2,000-2,200 calories per day (yesterday was an exception. Ate close to 3,000 and 23 carbs. yikes!) and 18-22 g of carbs (but 32-33g not subtracting the fiber). My strips are purple, my teeth get grime on them, and I've had the sleepies for a week (for a couple days a week and a half ago or so, I did stumble into some aspartame. Not a huge stumble, but I still felt out of control and I don't think I was in ketosis at the time. Just sort of maintaining status quo).

What I haven't been doing religiously is following strict induction rules. I often have 6 cups of lettuce for salad, 4-6g of cheese, and/or more than 3 packets of Splenda. But I'm not having cravings for things all that often (an occassional nudge here and there), so I'm not feeling like I need to detox.

Would that make a difference in losing, despite being in ketosis? Or could it be that the falling off the wagon and getting back on again pattern has harmed my metabolism that it's going to be really, really, really hard to lose? Any suggestions for fixing a broken metabolism?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Well, the off and on again could be causing your body to say, hey, what's going on here? If you stick it out I think you will see results.

Also, when we measure, we measure specific spots, but we lose weight all over. So really look at yourself, you may be losing in your face, the lower parts of your arms, legs, feet, maybe somewhere you haven't measured and logged. And those spots we don't always feel in the way our clothes fit.

Also does your skin feel loser? Sometimes that is kind of a heads up that you will drop in pounds.

I'd try and stick with strict induction for 2 weeks and see how that goes. I don't think adding the extra salad would hurt, if you're eating too much cheese, cream, etc, that may make it go slower or even halt you.

hope this helps.

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:14

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Excercise does WONDERFUL things for my metabolism.
When i cut out cheese (and cream), i loose weight faster. And as i loose weight, i try to eat less, closer to the cal. level of my goal weight.
Do you lift weights? Building muscle increases the rate at which we burn fat.
BTW, i like your hair.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: ckd/keto/atkins
Stats: 225/210/170 Male 65
BF:22% and goin down
Progress: 27%

Hey there!
I suggest you doing some exercise to boost your metabolism. Gradually increase your exercise to 60 minutes.
View below:
20 minutes walking day1
30 minutes walking day 2
day 3 rest
day 4 40 minutes
day 5 60 minutes
weekend REST!

REPEAT week 2 at 60 minutes
REMEMBER< your body adapts, just as it might have adapted to your diet. YOur not following exact induction rules and we have no clue on whether youre doing a hint of exercise.
So try my routine. Walking is easy, but dont go for a stroll in the park either. Power walk.
Good luck to you, send me a pm if you need help
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 22:28

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

What I haven't been doing is exercising (just NO time, high stress, and being answerable to my roommate at all hours of the day...), but I'm moving this weekend and will be able to start biking to school. Plus, I should be able to join the local YMCA once I'm moved.

Started (mostly) strict induction today. Had a moment where I reached for the Splenda and then put it back after remembering my 2 packets in my french toast this morning. I did have a cup of coffee (which I normally don't have, but I want one every so often) and some cream. So, maybe a bit high on the cream (1/4c for the french toast and an oz of 1/2 n 1/2 for the coffee), but other than that I've been ok today.

Hard not to reach for the cheese or that cream!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 23:00

Stats: 350/199/180 Male 5'9"
BF:52%/ 18% /10%
Progress: 89%

My weight loss has also slowed so I am going to cut out cheese and diet sodas like lilli said for a month and see if it picks up I already workout 5 times a week so I dont know whats going on.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:12

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I have spent weeks and months at a time in ketosis without losing weight or inches, but sooner or later I do lose a couple of pounds and then stall again. For me, losing weight on this WOE has been frustratingly slow, but it DOES sooner or later happen for me. I'd suggest to just stick with it and let it happen at the speed it's going to happen. It seems to be very fast for some people and very slow for others of us. I'm sure something is happening in your body if you're in ketosis, and in time it will finally show. Don't get discouraged and give up!!!

Squid

Squid
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found ketosis or not, I have to watch the calories a bit. It isn't hard because I'm not cravings stuff and the meals are real satisifying to me.