Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, now SB
Stats: 142/128/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default I hate Valentine's Day

Ugh. I have never been a fan of this holiday, but this year i'm dreading it. I had been sick not too long ago and ate whatever i wanted (mostly peanut butter toast) and gained some weight, so I decided to go back on a 2 week strick induction period to get things going again. I'm halfway through now, but my boyfriends mother has called and invited us to dinner for V-Day. She made reservations at a place called Bocca di Beppo, which is very italian and all of their food is "family style." (One meal for the whole group brought on one big platter) So I wont be able to make any special requests or order something low carb. Everyone knows that i'm on atkins and it just really p$##es me off that this holiday meal has to come in the middle of my new start. I'm going to have to eat before hand and just drink water there and that really SUCKS! Well sorry to vent, but it's just so frustrating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

sah35,

Here is a sample of their menu, looks like many of the things would be OK for you to eat.

http://www.bucadibeppo.com/m_food.asp
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:21

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Ooooohhhh! They have one of those in Seattle and I have been wanting to go there!

They must have Caesar salad. Make sure that they order salad and eat until your hearts content. Also, if they have any sausages you could eat that too. Italian food out is a hard one for LC'rbrs.

Good luck!

Wee
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:41
Registered Member

BF:

They have some options that would be ok for me to eat, but the whole group has to agree on eating the same thing. That's the problem since they are all going to eat the yummy (very very yummy) breaded and pasta dishes they have.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 260/188/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

If it's causing you this much anxiety, perhaps you should suggest to your boyfriend that you don't want to go. Valentine's Day should be for you and your boyfriend; not his mother If she knows you're on a LC plan, then you'd think she would have been courteous enough to ensure that there was an alternative for you (same if you were a vegetarian right?). I don't think I would like Valentine's Day much either if I were pressured to go out and eat big meals with family... A romantic night with my girlfriend at home sounds much better to me.

Good Luck
-Drew
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:10

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

You've done very well and you're very close to goal. If you want to go and try to eat and "minimize" the damage, you might try eating the meal "CAD"-style. Basically try to make it as balanced as possible (1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, 1/3 veggies - load up on the salad) and keep all your eating within one hour to keep down the insulin surge. Good Luck!

(I vote for not going... )
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:11

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I would just for sure order one of the salads. I realize that they are for 4 people, but even if you are the only one that want's it at least you have something that you know you can eat.

I agree, why are you spending Valentines day with your BF's mom??? Shouldn't this be a day for you and your BF? Maybe suggest staying home? I'm not sure if that is an option but just a suggestion.

Wee
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i have always dislike valentine's day....probably always will....but sometimes you have to do things to keep the moms happy! go along, take the extra money to cover your own salad, and have a ball.....remember, the important thing is you're all alive, happy, healthy, and able to share the day together.....
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:33
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

Hi sah35:

Perhaps everyone could order a couple of items from the menu that you could eat. It would be the nice thing to do.

BTW, I would not spend Valentine's dinner with my girlfriend's family! Valentine's dinner is for romance! Amor!

I'm eating out for my birthday this Friday. It'll probably be at a great little Italian place in my neighborhood. I know that there are low carb things that I can order and enjoy. Sure, I'll miss the bread/pasta/etc. And there will be many other occasions when I will eat out. I plan to adjust what I order and eat as necessary so that I can drop the excess weight and live healthy. I know my body will be much happier!

Well, good luck with the dinner. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a nice experience after all.

-Mike
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:40

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would recommend the chicken with lemon (we ordered a platter of chicken and a platter of pasta). Most people really like this, so suggest it! And also, the family-size salad of course. Most people are happy to off-balance their pasta with a bit of greens. Enjoy Buca!

~Kelly Deneen

p.s. We have 5 of these in the Twin Cities. Great food and atmosphere. If all else fails, get a big rum and diet.

Last edited by deneen : Wed, Feb-11-04 at 13:43.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 337/337/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hate valentines day cause I'm always single on that dreaded day.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the suggestions! The night with the in-laws wasn't my first choice, but i suppose it could be worse (at least they are good people). I think i'm just going to hope for the best and not get too worked up, maybe they will go for the lemon chicken or something lower carb afterall. And cesear salads are my favorite so i'm sure i can at least convince them of that. Then all this stress would be for nothing. And i agree, if all else fails...there is alway rum and diet (Thanks deneen). hehehe.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Although I am sure you would prefer an intimate meal with your boyfriend, there are many things to be thankful for:

(a) you are healthy, and you have family to surround yourself with. Many people have neither their health, nor their family (either they are separated by distance or by death)

(b) you are able to share a meal with people you care for, and can go with the attitude that you can enjoy their company. It doesn't hurt to make suggestions as mentioned in previous posts, and perhaps they will at least go along with one or two

(c) yes, you can bemoan the fact that you are not eating pasta, breading or baked goods (rolls), OR you could enjoy what you can have, and maintain the attitude that you are not suffering, but are CHOOSING to eat this way. The moment we start thinking of all the negatives, and the things we are missing, is the moment that we begin to stray from our chosen way of eating, because we think somehow that we are being deprived.

In the large scheme of things, I know I personally haven't eaten this healthy in ages, and I am not deprived.

Our church is having a sweetheart banquet, and it is being catered. I am sure there are things that I will not eat, but I am also certain that I can choose the things that are part of my chosen way of eating (I checked that it was being catered, because a buffet usually has more selection than a pre-arranged plate of food).

I am going to see if a very special dress will fit - that has been sitting in my closet awaiting an occasion (it is hand made and beaded, and my husband bought it when he was away). It will be my special treat to be able to enjoy both the time with other people, my husband, and a special outfit.

As he is soon leaving again for about five months, this is our special time together.

So, long post to say - enjoy your day; go with the right attitude, and if you decide to stray, or eat something outside your normal routine - just make sure your next meal is back on track, and put it aside as a momentary choice.